Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seeking advice on itinerary - Osaka, Kyoto

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2016, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Seeking advice on itinerary - Osaka, Kyoto

My wife and I will be traveling with our 9 months old in September.
We arrive KIX late afternoon on Sept 3 and leaves KIX late afternoon on Sept 10.

I'm seeking advice on itinerary for 7 nights / 8 days to cover Osaka and Kyoto area.
Onsen / Ryokan will be a highlight of our trip, but I'm not sure if I should have the experience in Kyoto or Arima.

Couple of questions:
-With a 9 months old travelling with us, would a room with private bath be the most convenient?
-Should I spend some time in Kobe or Nara?
-Where should I have Kobe (Waygu) beef?
-Where should I have kaiseki? Include as part of Ryokan experience?
-Room availability seems to be low/not available, am I looking too early or is 2nd week of Sept busy time of the year

Below is a draft of my travel plan, and i'm looking to book hotels after I've receive feedback from the FT community.

Day 1: Travel to Kyoto
Day 2 - 4: Explore around Kyoto
Day 5: Arima Onsen
Day 6 - 8: Explore around Osaka
Old Feb 4, 2016, 1:31 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I am not going to address ryokan questions as I don't do them anymore. Nor can I comment on Wagu beef.

My only comment is that Nara is a classic and very easy day trip from either Kyoto or Osaka and is more than well worth a day. No need to move hotels there. Rail connections will get you there in less than an hour each way.

Kyoto and Osaka are minutes apart via shinkansen.

Lack of room availability is probably because it is so early. Try 3 or 4 months in advance. The exception might be American chain hotels like Hilton or Comfort which are more along the American line where you can book way in advance.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 2:16 pm

I only went to Kobe for the beef. Didn't do anything else. I went to Wakkoqu which I thought was amazing. I've had Kobe beef at other restaurants and other beef also but every experience is different.

I really love Shiraume Ryokan in Kyoto. You can have a kaiseki dinner there. You can get a room with bath ensuite or you can also use the baths that are not in the rooms. they will block out a time for you.

Nara is a must.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 2:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
I would highlight Nara as well. Totally worth it, and not sure if you need to make a trip to Kobe just for the Kobe beef experiences. There will be plenty of options in the Kansai area with high grade Wagyu Yaki-Niku restaurants.

There are tons of options for Kaiseki in Kyoto and while I cannot guide you whether it is best done as part of your Ryokan, you can easily do some research on restaurants vs what you want to pay and have your hotel make a reservation for you. Frankly, there are places that are invitation-only and where prices are stratospheric.

Nara is an easy day trip from Kyoto or Osaka (the three make a triangle). If you have a JR rail pass then something you don't even have to worry more about. There is more than enough to keep your day occupied and honestly, I feel Nara deserves at least a 1 night stay - it is so pretty and quaint. There are tons of smaller villages in the Kansai area as well that are beyond charming but out of the scope of most travelers. That being said, even 1 full day in Nara will be quite delightful, even if you do return to Kyoto/Osaka in the evening.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 2:42 pm

you definitely don't need to go to Kobe for Kobe beef but OP asked so that's why I gave the name of the restaurant. to me, there wasn't anything else I wanted to do in Kobe which is why I was only there for the meal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.