Wiki Posts
Search

Explosive tourist growth in Japan

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2016, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by LapLap
NHK transmitted "China Buys Japan" as part of its Inside Lens series.
It followed a small tour group in the first week of October 2015 (a particularly busy period as it coincides with a major Chinese holiday. The program makers also chatted with a few store owners. Made interesting viewing and it's currently still available:
http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/vo.../20160125.html

I was in Seoul last October with plenty of time on my hands and a modest amount in my pocket yet found it extremely difficult to do any meaningful shopping - with the exception of some children's clothes (loved the GoDeLaBon brand) and a few food items. The airside part of ICN airport in particular had literally nothing to offer me (had received a text from one of my husband's colleagues warning that there was nothing to buy, was surprised to realise he was right). This is not a problem I've ever had in Japan. The only reason we got to return home with a Turning Mecard transforming car for our amazed and overjoyed daughter was because it was presented to us as a gift for her by my husband's Korean hosts. Shame I only learned about it once we were back in the UK, but apparently they're (or at least they were) a b*gger to find in the stores.
I'd previously wondered why so many ordinary Chinese people chose to do their shopping in Tokyo rather than in Seoul, which is cheaper. Now I get it.
How about Korean cosmetics? They're always popular with the ladies.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aventine
How about Korean cosmetics? They're always popular with the ladies.
Ladies like me? I bought a pack of self heating (self basting) steam masks for Chinese friends in London when I was in Japan last year, but I honestly didn't know what I was looking at when I was Korea.

On the last day of my Seoul trip I gave up and plundered Daiso (now I think about it, that might explain why a group of Chinese visitors made bulk purchases from a 7-11 in the Tokyo Suburbs, 7-11 convenience stores exist in China too giving a sense of familiarity).

Last edited by LapLap; Jan 28, 2016 at 1:28 am
Old Jan 28, 2016, 3:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: NH Dia (MM), QF-Plt, S-La GC Dia, Marriot Plt
Originally Posted by LapLap
NHK transmitted "China Buys Japan" as part of its Inside Lens series.
It followed a small tour group in the first week of October 2015 (a particularly busy period as it coincides with a major Chinese holiday. The program makers also chatted with a few store owners. Made interesting viewing and it's currently still available:
http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/vo.../20160125.html
That video is very cool and really captured the essence of what's going on.
In particular, I can relate to the buses blocking the roads around where I live. It's now at the point where I think the local government really need to make plans to accommodate them better.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by acregal
very real quality issues in China.
In China's defense, my Lenovo laptop has performed far better than my Dell. But yes it's limited sample size.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by evergrn
In China's defense, my Lenovo laptop has performed far better than my Dell. But yes it's limited sample size.
If you had build quality issues with your laptop, you can't say it's China versus other countries. Pretty much all laptops are made in China.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 9:22 am

Programs: UA MP
Originally Posted by evergrn
If your laptop suffers some problem because of poor quality, you get it replaced or repaired (even if it isn't under warranty you'd probably do this).

If your baby suffers organ damage because of crap formula, you can't get your baby repaired or replaced.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 11:10 am

Chinese tourists are coming to Japan to buy things largely because of very real quality issues in China.

I was in Kobe today walking around Sannomiya and was surprised that it was honestly dead - there were no tourists there today.
they also buy to sell. I saw one guy buy two giant cases (I don't even know what they are called, pallets?) of Adidas shoes. I just wanted one pair. I walked all over Shibuya and Shinjuku in April and they were all sold out in my size. they also buy for the friends and family. the Zojirushi thermos (which I also buy and love) is a top buy for them. I went to Bic right when it opened on a Thursday morning in December and I was the only person in the store so I had the leisure to pick and choose in quiet. there were 10 employees stocking the thermos display. I must have gotten there before the tourbuses came in because I returned to the store a few hours later to pick up something I forgot and the shelves were empty again. the employees were frantically stocking the display in the morning. they all spoke mandarin too.

they can buy Zojirushi in China but the tourists say it's cheaper in Japan.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 6:06 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Our obsession with Japan is definitely real I would guess out of a random sample of 10 people I know, 5-6 would have gone to japan at least once a year, 2-3 twice and 1 probably thrice. There's this saying 'it's cheaper to go to Japan than go to Macau', given the rise of HK Express...

PS

And the tax refund thing is just insane. I was shopping at Seibu Ikebukuro the last time I went, the whole tax refund area was sealed off, and there were staff sort of 'emceeing' everyone waiting, speaking exclusively in putonghua. When I approached the counter and asked if I could speak in english (just to minimize confusion), the associate just blankly said 'no, putonghua'...

That being said I love shopping for high end stuff in Japan, for example for LV, the staff at Japanese stores are 10000x times more welcoming and friendly than those in HK/USA/France etc, let alone the price differential between HK/USA.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 9:31 pm

It seems like for people from HK, Japan is always a preferred option. Great food, good service, etc. But it was always a more expensive option compared to places in SE Asia, China, or Taiwan or Korea. With the favourable exchange rates, and the large amount of LCCs, it seems to have become a much more popular destination.

I think in general, though, Chinese tourism (outside of China) has grown significantly. Mandarin is widely heard in places such as Myeongdong in Seoul, Causeway Bay or TST in Hong Kong, Dotonbori in Osaka, which wasn't so much the case even ten years ago.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 12:07 am
Original Poster

Regarding whether things are moderating or not, one observation that I'd make is that the lines through immigration out of Narita haven't seemed to be so crazy so far this year - on Sunday afternoons when I typically fly out (at the same time always). Towards the end of last year there was a couple of times when it was absolutely crazy operating well beyond capacity with lines snaking about and so forth, but today for instance it was pretty tame. But perhaps that's just seasonal... Guess we shall see over the coming days coming into the CNY period.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 12:29 am

Programs: UA MP
Flying to/from Haneda last year, there were no lines. The only issue with leaving was that there were no departure cards for re-entrants there (they had all been used up).
Old Jan 31, 2016, 12:38 am
Original Poster

Flying to/from Haneda last year, there were no lines. The only issue with leaving was that there were no departure cards for re-entrants there (they had all been used up).
I guess it depends on the time of day and day of the week. My observations, from Sunday and Monday mornings, of the lines through security of Haneda in the last few months of last year were pretty brutal - typically the lines were backed back by 30-40m beyond the entrance. Actually after that though oddly enough immigration wasn't too bad - so actually the reverse to Narita where security was reasonably quick but immigration terrible. I was so thankful I could use the elite status line.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 2:00 am

No line for me sept 2014. Huge shocker April 2015 because there was a line. Went again in Dec 2015 expecting a line but since I was one of the first to get off the plane, I didn't have to wait. But of course there was a huge line. Such a shock to me because I have been so used to only a handful of people who weren't entering with Japanese passports.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 3:21 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
PS

And the tax refund thing is just insane. I was shopping at Seibu Ikebukuro the last time I went, the whole tax refund area was sealed off, and there were staff sort of 'emceeing' everyone waiting, speaking exclusively in putonghua. When I approached the counter and asked if I could speak in english (just to minimize confusion), the associate just blankly said 'no, putonghua'...
Hmm, I was at that exact store last week and the tax refund area was deserted.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 3:23 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by beardedmeerkat
No line for me sept 2014. Huge shocker April 2015 because there was a line. Went again in Dec 2015 expecting a line but since I was one of the first to get off the plane, I didn't have to wait. But of course there was a huge line. Such a shock to me because I have been so used to only a handful of people who weren't entering with Japanese passports.
Yes, it is different now. Last flight I took into Haneda, luggage took about 30 minutes to come, which seemed higher than normal, and then once I got the luggage was dismayed to see huge lineups to get through customs. )but immigration part was good) Usually those lines in the past were very short.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.