Sushi in Tsukiji - safe to eat?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sushi in Tsukiji - safe to eat?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2016, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by evergrn
What kind of places are you talking about when you say "good" sushi restaurants? Are you talking about really high-end, old-school type places?
Yes. And even some "new school" type places. I don't recall ever being served salmon sushi, except once, at Suzhizen in Sapporo. The itamae remarked that it was unusual they were serving it, but there was something special about it, it was Japanese salmon, not Norwegian or Scottish or whatever. And it was indeed outstanding.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 10:44 pm

I've got to admit that I don't recall getting salmon during the handful of times we've eaten omakase sets in Japan; no high end places: Tsukiji market places, mom & pop shops, etc. But we do usually grab a plate or two of salmon type dishes when eating at kaiten-zushi places.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 11:58 pm
mjm
Original Member

I am always pretty tolerant towards a serving of Keiji Salmon. :-)
Old Jan 25, 2016, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by mjm
I am always pretty tolerant towards a serving of Keiji Salmon. :-)
And that's what Sushizen in Sapporo was serving. Do you think Saito could offer it also?
Old Jan 25, 2016, 2:00 am
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Pickles
And that's what Sushizen in Sapporo was serving. Do you think Saito could offer it also?
It constitutes 1 in about 10,000 caught and is really a treat for a chef to have to serve. They do not plan for it but quickly adjust that day's menu when it is found in the catch. I am fairly sure Saito would be happy to serve that as it is domestic, and of the very best quality. Considering their uni offerings, sourcing domestic product of the highest quality seems to be a knack for them. As a counterpoint, or given its lightness, preceding a beautiful piece of Chutoro it would be exciting. I would be a happy guinea pig I can assure you.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 11:00 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by Pickles
Yes. And even some "new school" type places. I don't recall ever being served salmon sushi, except once, at Suzhizen in Sapporo. The itamae remarked that it was unusual they were serving it, but there was something special about it, it was Japanese salmon, not Norwegian or Scottish or whatever. And it was indeed outstanding.
Let's not call Norwegian farmed rainbow trout salmon, two related but different species.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 11:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
As mentioned upthread, the risk of parasites is higher in fresh water fish, or saltwater fish like salmon, caught in fresh water.

Fish used for sushi in Japan is rarely frozen unless imported - but the best sushi fish is from local Japanese waters, and served fresh, usually within the same day as it's caught. The tuna is caught elsewhere, and is frozen for transport, as would any other imported fish including salmon (which is farmed garbage). I've had the most delicious wild caught salmon from Alaska at one of the best sushi restaurants in North America, Vancouver's Ajisai and it's delicious - but alas, frozen per Canadian rules.

Tuna in Hawai'i is fresh caught, but is frozen for raw consumption (per regulations), and needs to be frozen anyway for shipment to the mainland or other markets.

Parasites might be an icky situation, but they are treatable with medication and probably less of a problem to deal with vs buying sushi from a restaurant that does not follow proper food temperature and hygiene rules and you get sick from bacterial contamination, and anything ground is usually the greatest risk, so avoid western style preparations like "spicy tuna" or other ground/mixed/chopped fish rolls.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 7:30 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by bocastephen
As mentioned upthread, the risk of parasites is higher in fresh water fish, or saltwater fish like salmon, caught in fresh water.

Fish used for sushi in Japan is rarely frozen unless imported - but the best sushi fish is from local Japanese waters, and served fresh, usually within the same day as it's caught. The tuna is caught elsewhere, and is frozen for transport, as would any other imported fish including salmon (which is farmed garbage). I've had the most delicious wild caught salmon from Alaska at one of the best sushi restaurants in North America, Vancouver's Ajisai and it's delicious - but alas, frozen per Canadian rules.

Tuna in Hawai'i is fresh caught, but is frozen for raw consumption (per regulations), and needs to be frozen anyway for shipment to the mainland or other markets.

Parasites might be an icky situation, but they are treatable with medication and probably less of a problem to deal with vs buying sushi from a restaurant that does not follow proper food temperature and hygiene rules and you get sick from bacterial contamination, and anything ground is usually the greatest risk, so avoid western style preparations like "spicy tuna" or other ground/mixed/chopped fish rolls.
not all of the tuna is frozen. and there are fresh tuna auctions daily at tsukiji of imported tuna. before 2007 or so, before all the tourists ruined the visit to tsukiji, you could see the fresh auctions....now people only see the frozen ones but those are not the only auctions...
Old Feb 5, 2016, 8:41 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by mkjr
not all of the tuna is frozen. and there are fresh tuna auctions daily at tsukiji of imported tuna. before 2007 or so, before all the tourists ruined the visit to tsukiji, you could see the fresh auctions....now people only see the frozen ones but those are not the only auctions...
It depends on imported from where - much of the tuna comes from the mid Pacific (Hawaii), or the US east coast, so it has to be frozen. If some of the tuna comes from Asian waters and can get to Japan quickly without spending much time on a boat or plane, then I guess it could be fresh - but if caught from the South China Sea, do I really want to eat that? Probably not.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 4:26 pm

It depends on imported from where - much of the tuna comes from the mid Pacific (Hawaii), or the US east coast, so it has to be frozen. If some of the tuna comes from Asian waters and can get to Japan quickly without spending much time on a boat or plane, then I guess it could be fresh - but if caught from the South China Sea, do I really want to eat that? Probably not.
Yes. Because some of the most valuable fresh tuna imported and auctioned at tsukiji comes from the south China Sea.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 12:19 pm

Yes. Because some of the most valuable fresh tuna imported and auctioned at tsukiji comes from the south China Sea.
Which is tuna I'd rather not eat - those are some of most polluted waters on earth.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 2:05 pm

Which is tuna I'd rather not eat - those are some of most polluted waters on earth.
Firstly, you have no idea where it comes from and secondly I was being sarcastic to your response in which you appear to suggest the only imported fresh tuna into Japan is from there and that's just absurd. But I'm sure you'll come back with something else.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 2:59 pm

Firstly, you have no idea where it comes from and secondly I was being sarcastic to your response in which you appear to suggest the only imported fresh tuna into Japan is from there and that's just absurd. But I'm sure you'll come back with something else.
What is absurd is thinking you can import fresh fish from across the other side of the world. Fish that is caught off the coast of the US northeast on Monday might not even come into port until Tuesday, or even Wednesday depending on the boat and how far out they went, then it needs to be weighed, sorted, tagged and sold to a broker who will transport it to Japan (or wherever) - and it won't arrive in Japan until the following afternoon JST time, then it's auctioned the next morning.

So explain how it would be possible to import this fish unfrozen?

Therefore, the fresh fish served in Japan is caught locally. I don't eat fish or shellfish imported from countries that fish in, or are near the South China Sea - no imported shrimp from Thailand or Vietnam, for example, no farmed products like Tilapia from the same area.

When you go the supermarket and buy fish, do you not read the sign that tells you where it came from and how it was caught? So I guess only the rest of us know where our fish is from. I know my supermarket tells me:

1. fresh or frozen
2. country of origin
3. wild caught or farmed
4. if color was altered by feed
Old Feb 6, 2016, 8:24 pm

I'll invite others to inform you about the fresh tuna importation into Japan. Added. This is more sarcasm in case you missed it.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 8:46 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I'll invite others to inform you about the fresh tuna importation into Japan. ...
Dude! Nobody else gives a rat's a$$.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.