Reload this Page >

City Recommendation During Sakura 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

City Recommendation During Sakura 2016

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2015, 4:23 am

That's an interesting view. When you look at the waterway it's obviously wide enough to deter an easy crossing, at least without flat-bottomed boats. I now look at the "moat" and think, "shoganate era"
Old Nov 30, 2015, 4:33 am
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Originally Posted by jib71
Some people may think this is pedantic, but I think it's interesting for tourists to know - The "canal" in Naka-meguro is the Meguro river with stone walls. The "canal" at Chidorigafuchi is the moat of the old castle.
To add some even more (pedantic) information, the moat at Chidorigafuchi (and near Marunouchi on the east side) is the inner moat, or "Uchibori", and the remains of the moat between Iidabashi and Yotsuya is called the outer moat, or "Sotobori". The major roads on their banks are called the "Uchibori-dori" and "Sotobori-dori", respectively. Most of the outer moat has been filled in but you can trace its path by following Sotobori-dori.

Also, Sotobori-dori is almost exactly contiguous with the boundary of Chiyoda Ward, the innermost ward of Tokyo.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 5:49 am

Hmmm if the emperors had retained the surrounding Chiyoda as their demesne they would have had in their possession or control among other things, Japan's main financial hub, biggest train station, renowned department stores, and most famous maid cafes...
Old Nov 30, 2015, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I doubt it. Can't imagine Mitsubishi, Mitsui and the other Zaibatsu establishing such a presence in the area if they hadn't been able to do so on their own terms.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 6:49 am

Well I suppose even if they did, MacArthur would have had a talk with Hirohito about having military-industrial complexes around the house
Old Jan 27, 2016, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
In Tokyo, many will recommend Yoyogi Park and some of the large temples but my favorites are Hama Rikyu Imperial Garden, Asakusa-Senso-ji and the near-by riverwalk park, and Ueno Park. If you choose to run down to Hiroshima, the Peace Park has nice displays.
I'm interested in locations near Haneda Airport since I have a 36-hour layover. Looks like the Hama Rikyu Imperial Garden is easy to reach. Are there other sites nearby? Being a resident of Washington DC, I know about Sakura obsessions...
Old Jan 27, 2016, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by headinclouds
I'm interested in locations near Haneda Airport since I have a 36-hour layover. Looks like the Hama Rikyu Imperial Garden is easy to reach. Are there other sites nearby? Being a resident of Washington DC, I know about Sakura obsessions...
Are you actually staying at Haneda Airport, or somewhere a little closer to central Tokyo?
Old Jan 27, 2016, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by LapLap
Are you actually staying at Haneda Airport, or somewhere a little closer to central Tokyo?
With a 10:30 AM flight, I prefer to stay close enough for a short trip from hotel to HND.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Still don't know where you're staying. I have an 8:30am departure from HND planned and the 20 minute circa ¥5,000 yen taxi fare from South Azabu I regard as a short trip.

Where exactly are you staying?
Old Feb 7, 2016, 7:52 am

Still don't know where you're staying. I have an 8:30am departure from HND planned and the 20 minute circa ¥5,000 yen taxi fare from South Azabu I regard as a short trip.

Where exactly are you staying?
Considering the areas of Kamata (easy to HND & near the JR line) or Shinagawa/Gotanda. I'll arrive about 3pm on Tue, have the entire day of Wed to explore, then depart Thu am to HND.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 9:39 am

Programs: UA, NW
Shinagawa/Gotanda are better for transportation to central Tokyo, and Kamata has a reputation of being a bit of a dump by Japanese standrards.

If you're at Shinagawa or Gotanda, you're on the amoeba-shaped Yamanote Line, and access to anywhere else in Tokyo is easy.

With a full day, you can either stick around southern Tokyo and see Hama Rikyu and experience the vaguely futuristic train ride to Odaiba and the Oedo Onsen or whatever else you want to do in that area, or you can hop aboard the Yamanote Line and access northern Tokyo.

I suggest getting a guidebook and plotting out a route for yourself.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by headinclouds
Considering the areas of Kamata (easy to HND & near the JR line) or Shinagawa/Gotanda. I'll arrive about 3pm on Tue, have the entire day of Wed to explore, then depart Thu am to HND.
If you're staying near Gotanda, then one of the most convenient places to go to for evening illuminated cherry blossoms (yozakura) is the Meguro river (easy to access using Naka-Meguro station).
The river banks are lined with stalls, some offering traditional fare, others selling more contemporary or exotic snacks and refreshments (chowder, frothy sakura soy lattes, Turkish gum ice cream etc...) all in all this area gives off the vibe of a pop-up urban street festival. The river banks themselves aren't the loveliest, but the ranks of lit up trees are quite special.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 2:09 pm

Trains to HND from Shinagawa are frequent enough and quick enough, that I'll concentrate my search near that area. Thanks for the info.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
If you're staying near Gotanda, then one of the most convenient places to go to for evening illuminated cherry blossoms (yozakura) is the Meguro river (easy to access using Naka-Meguro station).
The river banks are lined with stalls, some offering traditional fare, others selling more contemporary or exotic snacks and refreshments (chowder, frothy sakura soy lattes, Turkish gum ice cream etc...) all in all this area gives off the vibe of a pop-up urban street festival. The river banks themselves aren't the loveliest, but the ranks of lit up trees are quite special.
The Meguro River is one of my fave places for Sakura. Hardly any tourists and lots of families. The art museum and the parasite museum (yes, parasite museum) are really interesting also and are right in the same area, in fact the museum is on the river bank.

We always stay at the Conrad. Love it and their one bedroom suites are awesome as is their lounge.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 1:12 am

Programs: TK Elite, QR Gold
Great info in this thread. Planning Sakura trip to Japan with my daughter and this info will be very helpful

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.