Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

fly back to Tokyo from Nagasaki or sightsee via train along the way back?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

fly back to Tokyo from Nagasaki or sightsee via train along the way back?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2015, 4:07 am
Original Poster

Question fly back to Tokyo from Nagasaki or sightsee via train along the way back?

I arrive at Haneda on October 27th. I'm getting on a plane to Nagasaki on ANA (used 5000 United miles, thanks to another thread) on the 28th. I'm going on a Battleship Island tour (have reservations already) on the Thursday Oct 29th.

Originally, I was just going to fly back to Haneda within a day or two after the above. But, besides going to Tokyo Motor Show (planning to attend Mon Nov 2 and Wednesday Nov 4), I was thinking of going to http://museum.jr-central.co.jp/en/ and http://www.toyota.co.jp/Museum/english/ in/around Nagoya. I recall looking for flights from Nagasaki to Nagoya and found nothing decent (would take a long time because there'd be a stop like at Haenda anyway).

So, I was thinking of doing going by train to sightsee a bit on the way back instead, possibly going to Nagoya before Tokyo. I'm still not sure if I'll end up spending enough to make a 7-day ordinary car Japan Rail Pass (29,110 yen) worth it.

I've already been to Kyoto years ago and seen most of the major attractions there. I've been to Kamakura and Hakone.

I was thinking of some these places:
- Kumamoto Castle
- Fukuoka
- Himeji Castle
- Matsumoto Castle
- Nara
- Fushimi Shrine in Kyoto

Have any recommendations for places that aren't huge detours if I focus on taking Shinkansen (where I can get on) from Nagasaki to Nagoya/Tokyo? (Yes, I'm aware it seems I have to take a much slower Kamome train from Nagasaki to Hakata.)

I do especially like factory tours, if they're in English and they're car or electronics related. (I've been on auto factory tours in Japan before Mazda in Hiroshima, Toyota in Toyota City and Nissan in Oppama.)

I have some concerns about luggage storage as I'll probably have it all with me. I expect to have 1 large suitcase, 1 rolling carry on and a laptop bag. I worry that some train stations may have insufficient coin lockers for the large suitcase. I definitely don't want to pay for a hotel room in Tokyo where I won't be present for days...

Last edited by cwerdna; Sep 30, 2015 at 4:13 am
Old Sep 30, 2015, 7:09 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I loved Miyajima - that's just a short ride from Hiroshima.

Also, the Kibi Plain cycle route. Starts and ends at different stations a couple of stops from Okayama.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 7:42 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Himeji castle is easy to reach from the Shinkansen. Matsumoto is a considerable detour. Consider using a delivery service to send luggage to your next destination or the one after that (or to the airport). Kobe could also be a nice day- or half-day stop on your way.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 7:52 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I second Miyajima. If you haven't been to Hiroshima a trip there for the Peace Park would also be good. They have a lot of books and videos with survivors memories of the war.

I visited Himenji from Osaka before the renovations. I enjoyed it. I must say, though that one castle looks pretty much like another to me.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 8:06 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I do hope you will spend at least a day or two touring around Nagasaki. It is one of the most interesting and historic cities in Japan. I spent 4 days there a few years ago and would happily go back. If you only have time for one Atom Bomb Museum, I'd make it Nagasaki and skip Hiroshima.

If you do travel Nagasaki-Hakata-(Himeji/Shin-Osaka/Nagoya)-Tokyo with a few other stops along the way, the 7-day Rail Pass will indeed work well for you and save money. Activate the Pass to start the day you plan to leave Nagasaki and plan to arrive in Tokyo on day 6 or 7.

In addition to the sites mentioned above for stops along the way, I'd recommend Okayama. In addition to a beautiful Japanese garden and iconic black, feudal-era castle, Okayama is a quick jumping off point for a day trip to historic Kurashiki. When I was in Kurashiki, the main exhibition hall had an extensive display regarding the development of technology in post-war Japan and a large section on Toyota Motors. I have no idea what might be featured when you will be there but the little preserved samurai-era town is an interesting visit in itself.

I have done several similar long rail trips, stopping off along the way to see what local areas have to offer. I highly recommend this mode of seeing Japan.

Last edited by abmj-jr; Oct 1, 2015 at 9:49 pm
Old Sep 30, 2015, 9:57 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by cwerdna
I'm getting on a plane to Nagasaki on ANA (used 5000 United miles, thanks to another thread) on the 28th.
Sorry if you are already aware of this. ANA has Star Alliance Japan Pass for domestic flights in Japan, 10,000 yen (US$ 84 today) per flight segment. Only condition is that you fly into or out of Japan on Star Alliance airlines. (Alright, there are blackout dates also but does not apply to dates OP is traveling) Can fly HND-NGS for less than US$100. I think it is personal decision if US$90 or United 5000 miles, which is better deal for you.

If I were you, I will take train back from Nagasaki to Tokyo. Take in the view and enjoy few places along the way.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 4:03 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
ANA experience Japan fare: 10000 per flight. Don't have to fly in/out of Japan on Star Alliance. No published black out.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by beep88
No published black out.
Yes, Experience Japan fare can be ticketed and purchased online from non-Japan ANA websites. Where Star Alliance Japan Pass is not available online, have to call ANA reservation. However, key is those blackout dates are not published but it is there.

My experience, I was looking to book domestic flights in Japan on specific Sunday but Japan Experience fare was only available on morning flights on that specific route. None of afternoon and evening flights had Experience Japan fare availability. When I called ANA about Japan Pass fare then it was available on the flight I wanted.

I experienced this situation twice, Experience Japan fare was not available on a specific flight I wanted to fly but when I called reservation then Japan Pass fare was available on the flight I wanted.

My limited experience is that Experience Japan seems to be more restrictive than Japan Pass.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by manneca
If you haven't been to Hiroshima a trip there for the Peace Park would also be good.
I have been there already and have been to Peace Memorial Park and the museum. It was a very depressing experience, but worth the visit.

Originally Posted by manneca
I must say, though that one castle looks pretty much like another to me.
Ha! I'll keep that in mind.
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Sorry if you are already aware of this. ANA has Star Alliance Japan Pass for domestic flights in Japan, 10,000 yen (US$ 84 today) per flight segment. Only condition is that you fly into or out of Japan on Star Alliance airlines. (Alright, there are blackout dates also but does not apply to dates OP is traveling) Can fly HND-NGS for less than US$100. I think it is personal decision if US$90 or United 5000 miles, which is better deal for you.
I was unaware of this. I already booked HND to NGS trip w/5000 miles. Will have to look into whether I can cancel and whether it's worth shelling out $ for that instead.

I am flying into and out of Japan on UA, so yes, that'd be covered.

I will have to digest the rest of your posts. Thanks for all the responses, so far.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 12:13 am

I second what jib says. Forward just your large suitcase. Kobe's nice. Also like Fukuoka. But definitely spend 5-6hrs in Miyajima if you haven't been. Probably skip Matsumoto Castle. Matsumoto Castle's an original castle with a unique black look, but it's quite a detour for you. Kumamoto-jo is impressive (albeit rebuilt), but I don't know if it's worth it if you're going to Himeji Castle.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 6:34 am

I was unaware of this. I already booked HND to NGS trip w/5000 miles. Will have to look into whether I can cancel and whether it's worth shelling out $ for that instead.

Just out of curiosity I looked up. On October 28 ANA has 8 flights on HND-NGS. Out of 8 flights currently following four flights have ANA Experience Japan fare of US$93.14 (taxes and fees included).

NH 661 HND 8:10 a.m. NGS 10:10 a.m.
NH 663 HND 11:00 a.m. NGS 12:55 p.m.
NH 667 HND 4:15 p.m. NGS 6:10 p.m.
NH 669 HND 7:05 p.m. NGS 9:05 p.m.

ANA Experience Japan fare can be booked via ANA U.S. website.

Star Alliance Japan Airpass have to be purchased through calling ANA, not available via website, but from my experience is that Star Alliance Japan Airpass has more availability, likely will not limited to four out of eights flights on HND-NGS. Also, if your arrival at NRT and departure out of HND is less than 24 hrs. then consumption tax is exempt on Star Alliance Japan Airpass, which will save you 800 yen (US$6.68 today) compare with ANA Experience Japan fare.

P.S.
ANA Experience Japan fare is non-refundable. Where Star Alliance Japan Airpass has 5000 yen (50%) cancellation penalty. Yes, it is lousy deal but still you get some back when cancelling Star Alliance Japan Airpass…

Last edited by AlwaysAisle; Oct 1, 2015 at 6:53 am
Old Oct 1, 2015, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA, NW
If you want to see things, the train is the way to go.

I wouldn't consider Nagoya a top sightseeing spot. It's a pleasant enough city, but it doesn't have a lot that's of interest to the foreign tourist.

I second the recommendation for Himeji Castle (the best in Japan, in my opinion, and Himeji is an attractive town with a tree-lined approach to the castle), sightseeing in Nagasaki (it had a lot of history before it became notorious as the second city to be atom bombed), and Kurashiki (the section along the canal looks like something out of a samurai movie; most easily reached by taking the Shinkansen to Okayama and a local to Kurashiki. Shin-Kurashiki isn't anywhere near the interesting part of town.)
Old Oct 2, 2015, 12:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ksandness
I wouldn't consider Nagoya a top sightseeing spot. It's a pleasant enough city, but it doesn't have a lot that's of interest to the foreign tourist.
For Nagoya, I was mainly planning to go to one or more of these:
http://museum.jr-central.co.jp/en/
http://www.toyota.co.jp/Museum/english/
http://www.tcmit.org/english/

Ages ago, I'd taken a Toyota plant tour which left from http://www.toyota.co.jp/en/about_toy...kaikan/museum/, where I looked around. I don't plan to revisit, as there's no need.
Originally Posted by ksandness
I second the recommendation for Himeji Castle (the best in Japan, in my opinion, and Himeji is an attractive town with a tree-lined approach to the castle), sightseeing in Nagasaki (it had a lot of history before it became notorious as the second city to be atom bombed), and Kurashiki (the section along the canal looks like something out of a samurai movie; most easily reached by taking the Shinkansen to Okayama and a local to Kurashiki. Shin-Kurashiki isn't anywhere near the interesting part of town.)
Hmm, last night, I realized I have a potentially big problem due to limited time in Japan. I hadn't planned this trip w/a train ride from Nagasaki to Tokyo/Nagoya and sightseeing along the way.

My battleship island tour is on Thurs Oct 29th 1 pm. The earliest I can leave depart from Nagasaki is immediately after the tour ends.

I need to be a Tokyo Motor Show on Monday Nov 2nd and Wednesday Nov 4th. But, as I mentioned, I want to go to Nagoya for one or both of those museums. I'm not clear how long I should spend at either.

I fly from NRT to ICN at 6:25 pm on Thurs Nov 5th. I fly back to SFO on Nov 8th.

I thought about changing my NRT to ICN flight so that I only have a few hours layover instead of a few days. That was impossible due to the timing of the flights. If I made it a 1 day layover, United was going to hit me w/change fees and ticket price difference of over $1K total... No thanks!

That's nuts considering all 3 of my international flights (SFO > HND, NRT > ICN, ICN > SFO) were only $848 total w/tax.

I might be able cancel it completely and get credit minus $300 UA change fee (ugh!) and rebook w/another airline so that I have more time in Japan.

Last edited by cwerdna; Oct 2, 2015 at 12:28 am
Old Oct 2, 2015, 7:42 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Well, you could always fly Peach from Nagasaki or Fukuoka to KIX and then take the train to Nagoya. The Haruka plus Nozomi would take less than 2 hours for that leg. That would defeat the idea of seeing the country by train but would get you from one auto show or plant to the next, effectively turning the trip to a quasi business trip from a site-seeing trip. I guess you just have to decide what is most important.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 12:01 pm

I haven't been to the other two but I've been to the SC Maglev and Railway Park. I honestly didn't have a great time there. It was *super* crowded even on a Monday during the school year, and there was a 30 minute wait just to get *into* the line for the miniature railway. The cafeteria literally ran out of food, so we had no lunch, and there was nowhere to sit even if we could. People were sitting on the floors in the hallways. The place is in the middle of nowhere too so there is nowhere else to get food even after you leave.

Maybe it's calmed down by now but it was kind of a miserable experience for me.

It is also quite far from Nagoya itself. I think it's about a 45 minute train ride just to get there from Nagoya.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.