Tokyo DisneySea

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tokyo DisneySea

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2015, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by hailstorm
That's probably the biggest tangible benefit for you. It would take 20-30 minutes to get back to your room at the Hilton/Sheraton/etc., compared with about two at Mira Costa.
Originally Posted by TMM1982
Multiply that x 4 if he plans to go back to the park during the evening.
This is definitely a plus. We still haven't been to DisneySea but are thinking of going finally. I presume DisneySea is going to be a day filled with waiting in lines, just like Tokyo DL. If that's the case, it'd be nice to be able to pop back into the hotel for breathers.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 5:33 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by evergrn
I've not been to Disneyworld or Paris and it's been years since Anaheim Disneyland. But compared to Tokyo Disneyland, HK Disneyland may be a bit underwhelming. However, if you go on the right day, the wait is 5-10min for Space Mtn, <3min for Small World, <10min for Toy Story shooting thing, etc. We can finish every major ride in less than a day. HK Disney does tend to get a little more crowd as you get into the afternoon. Even then, the wait is nothing like Tokyo. Hence, it's our favorite. But it be underwhelming to you.
Paris is the worst one in Disney's collection and I think almost hardcore Disney folks agree so I'm glad to have gotten that one out of the way. Compared to that one, HK may seem like a dream come true.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 5:34 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by evergrn
This is definitely a plus. We still haven't been to DisneySea but are thinking of going finally. I presume DisneySea is going to be a day filled with waiting in lines, just like Tokyo DL. If that's the case, it'd be nice to be able to pop back into the hotel for breathers.
Do they have the Fast Pass system in place? The ones in the US and Disney Paris all have it.

Also, I'd assume the normal Disney rules are in place. Go on a weekday which is not a holiday, get there first thing in morning, and try to go when the Japanese are in school.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I have a tentative plan to go to Tokyo in April. I'm sure my then 3.5 year old would like to go to Disney. I doubt I'd like to go for the whole day, so a nearby hotel sounds interesting. $300-400 a day doesn't sound like so much fun, though.

Any other options to get a Disney hotel at a better rate?
No. They occasionally show up on Kayak or Expedia or such, but I have never seen them at a cheaper rate than that obtained by booking through Tokyo Disney direct.

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I do have some Hilton points, but it sounds like that's a step down. If I decided to Uber or such, what would be the cost from the Hyatt Regency?
Not a good idea. Shinjuku is a really far and inconvenient place for commuting to Disney...basically the same as commuting from Yokohama.

I like the Hilton Tokyo Bay, but from October, the Hilton Tokyo Odaiba is also an option. It will remain a Disney Good Neighbor hotel, with free shuttles to and from TDR.

http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/jap...OHI/index.html

People on a budget might want to consider Oriental Hotel Tokyo Bay. Nice clean place, reasonably priced, and they have a shuttle to and from the resorts.

http://www.oriental-hotel.co.jp/en/

Do they have the Fast Pass system in place? The ones in the US and Disney Paris all have it.
They do...but for the most popular rides, you may end up waiting 20 minutes in line just to get a Fast Pass. And they are often all given out before noon.

If going to Tokyo Disney Sea in the morning, run (don't walk) to the Toy Story Fast Pass line, or prepare to wait four hours in standby.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 9:02 pm

Also, I'd assume the normal Disney rules are in place. Go on a weekday which is not a holiday, get there first thing in morning, and try to go when the Japanese are in school.
Are you asking about HK Disney or Disney Sea? I've never been to Disney Sea. At HKG Disneyland, you also want to avoid mainland China holidays. I've never bothered with Fast Pass since I've rarely had to wait more than 20min on the days I've gone. I believe they do have Fastpasses, but only for a couple attractions. I think Space Mtn's one of them. But last time we were there (last Nov), the queue was <5min in the morning, <15min in the afternoon. There're some rides where the queue might get to be ~30min in the afternoon, but those would be the most popular ones and chances are we would've already gotten them out of the way in the morning and we simply would skip those in the afternoon.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 12:58 am

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Anyone familiar with the Starlight (3pm entry) and After 6 (6pm entry) tickets?

http://www.tokyodisneyresort.jp/en/c...october_e.html

Am I right in my understanding that these two are mutually exclusive i.e. Starlight = Weekends 3pm, and After 6 = Weekdays 6pm?

Wife and I visiting in October but not interested in doing the whole park. Primarily want to visit TDS in the evening for Duffy & Shellie-Mae shopping (she is a HUGE fan), Fantasmic and maybe a ride or two with whatever time we have left.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shuigao
Anyone familiar with the Starlight (3pm entry) and After 6 (6pm entry) tickets?

http://www.tokyodisneyresort.jp/en/c...october_e.html

Am I right in my understanding that these two are mutually exclusive i.e. Starlight = Weekends 3pm, and After 6 = Weekdays 6pm?
Close. Starlight Pass is Weekends and National Holidays, and After 6 is every other day.

This year October 12th (Monday) is a National Holiday.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 2:03 am

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
hailstorm thanks. I'll be in Tokyo on the morning of 6th Oct and flying off to Sapporo on the 8th. So looks like I can only use the After 6 ticket.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 4:23 pm

Programs: in C/C++, Python, SQL
It's been a long time since I've been there, but you might also be able to do some of your Duffy/Shellie Mae shopping in Bon Voyage, allowing a little more in-park time for other things.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Scott in LA
It's been a long time since I've been there, but you might also be able to do some of your Duffy/Shellie Mae shopping in Bon Voyage, allowing a little more in-park time for other things.
Nope. Official Duffy and Shellie Mae items are sold exclusively within DisneySea. You can't even buy them in Tokyo Disney Land.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 5:02 pm

Programs: in C/C++, Python, SQL
Ah, OK. Sorry about that. My last visit was 2003, which was either pre-Duffy or very early on.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The story of Duffy, lifted from a Disney wiki. A masterpiece of marketing, showing the good that happens when you listen to your fanbase:

Duffy first appeared as "The Disney Bear" in 2002 as a marketing gimmick to promote the opening of the Once Upon a Toy store in Walt Disney World's Downtown Disney. This bear already had the Mickey-silhouetted face, plus Mickey marks on his feet and left hip. However, he had no name and a fairly market-centered backstory, in which Mickey's generic teddy bear is magically imprinted with Mickey's face and brought to life by Tinker Bell's pixie dust. The artwork features cameos by lots of characters who have nothing to do with the story. It should be noted, too, that the highly simplistic, graphic style used to draw the Disney Bear was replaced with a much softer, richer hand-drawn illustrative style for Duffy's Tokyo storybook.

These Disney Bears were released in a rainbow of colors - Valentine red, pink, green, blue, lavender, grey, black, white, chocolate, caramel, purple, and honey gold. However, they were never a hit. Having failed to really find their market, by 2004 most of them ended up at Disney outlet stores, long forgotten.

That same year, the Disney Bear launched at the Tokyo Disney Resort as part of that year's Christmas events on December 1st and was instantly popular. At Christmas of 2005, after just one year of successful sales of plush bears and just a smattering of seasonal costumes, the Oriental Land Company decided to fully invest in this teddy bear character the fans had taken such a liking to. They made the him an official part of the park and named him "Duffy," and created an all-new original story to introduce his background. OLC gave him a whole section of the park as a merchandising character. He would go on to "steal the stage" at the restaurant theater (Cape Cod Cook-off) from none other than Donald Duck, replacing "Donald Duck's Boat Builders" with "My Friend Duffy," a show inspired by - but not faithful to the story presented in The Bear of Happiness & Luck. TDS posted signs using the same artwork from the storybook to claim Cape Cod as "Duffy's Hometown." The story had all the hallmarks of Disney - mysterious magic, the power of love and friendship, the wonder of exploration and adventure...and it gave real context to the name, in that Duffy was a hand-made gift that Mickey kept in a duffel bag on his journeys.

In addition to grounding the character in both the parks and a fictional sense of place, the story also made it clear that Duffy was primarily about two things - photos and fashion. OLC put "Photo Points" around the park where guests could snap pictures of or with their Duffys. This was all in response to what fans did with Duffy during that first year. Duffy is a reflection of the fans every bit as much as a product of some marketing team - that collaboration was the "secret sauce" that finally made the concept work. Fans were taking tons of photos. Fans were building thriving cottage industry sewing and selling their own Duffy clothes. Fans were loving this little bear. Then, for the Tokyo Disney Resort 25th Anniversary events beginning in 2008, instead of just a few seasonal costumes, they created one new Cast Member costume every single month, which got people's attention. This was the year that really brought Duffy into the mainstream.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 1:19 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
[Deleted]

Last edited by jib71; Aug 18, 2015 at 4:59 am
Old Aug 18, 2015, 3:58 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hailstorm
Nope. Official Duffy and Shellie Mae items are sold exclusively within DisneySea. You can't even buy them in Tokyo Disney Land.
eBay
Old Aug 18, 2015, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

eBay
No eBay in Japan.

I suppose you might find something on Yafuoku, but it wouldn't be nearly as fun.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.