Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Best options around $100/nt in Shinjuku?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2015, 6:37 am
Original Poster

I have an upcoming 2-night layover at NRT and need to stay somewhere in Tokyo for the 2 nights. I have stayed in all the Hyatt properties before, but for this trip, I am looking for something a little more "business-like" and around $100/night. My wife suggested the Tokyu Stay or KKR chain as she has stayed at some of their properties before on business. She also said the ANA property is nice, but the location is a bit further out and I don't want to burn points at any property for this short stay.

I like the Shinjuku area as it is one of the only areas in the city where I know my way around and since I'll be there such a short time, I'd prefer to stick to it. It appears that Tokyu Stay has recently opened a new property within a 10 minute walk from Shinjuku station and the Priceline rate is $95/nt. Does anyone have any experience with this property or could suggest something similar? I don't need breakfast included as I'd rather stop into one of the local bakeries...

EDIT: I just checked this morning and Expedia has the same hotel for $71/nt or $78/nt including breakfast for a basic, single room. I'll go ahead and grab a room there unless anyone else has any other suggestions.

Last edited by bmrisko; Jun 29, 2015 at 7:02 am
Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:47 am

Programs: UA, NW
I've stayed at the Monzen-Nakacho, Shibuya Shin Minamiguchi, Gotanda, and Shimbashi properties of Tokyu Stay. You get a nice, basic hotel room with a decent sized real bathroom (not looking like it was carved out a single piece of plastic, as at some business hotels), and depending on how much you pay (it varies), you may have a washer-dryer and a microwave or kitchenette.

Breakfast varies from place to place. At Monzen Nakacho, it was toast and coffee. At Shibuya and Gotanda, it was one of four set menus from the Jonathan's on the first floor. At Shimbashi, it was a really generous buffet with decent scrambled eggs for a change. If the photos on the website are to be trusted, the new Shinjuku property seems to have a breakfast service similar to the one at the Shimbashi hotel.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 2:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Diamond
You might also be able to get a decent studio through AirBnB if you prefer. For an upcoming trip to Tokyo I booked a rather roomy studio for seven nights at a rate of £60pn.

Some flats might not be at the 'business-y' end but there are certainly deals to be had
Old Jun 30, 2015, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. For now, it sounds like the Tokyustay property will be perfectly suitable for my 2 nights, however I may give AirBnB a looksie.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
You can always go low-end and stay at L'Hotel Tarpe Bleue in Shinjuku Park.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pickles
You can always go low-end and stay at L'Hotel Tarpe Bleue in Shinjuku Park.
LOL, I don't need to go that low-end.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:13 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Places I've stayed at in that price range:

Kadoya - real close to station, no lobby to speak of
Villa Fontaine - ensuite Japanese bath, airline style in-room breakfast
Toyoko Inn - it's a Toyoko Inn like others
Sunlite - boring but cheap
Vintage - smallest room I've seen, windows that don't open(not a problem in summer I suppose), climate control that you cannot control, and not cheap
Old Jul 3, 2015, 5:34 pm

Programs: United 1K, AC 50K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum
I've stayed at the Ibis. It is decent, but the single rooms are pretty small.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 11:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
FWIW I stayed a week at the Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku for around CAD$100/night with breakfast which I thought was a heck of a deal considering the location within a few blocks of Shinjuku Station.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.