Wiki Posts
Search

September Traveling in Japan

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2015, 10:37 pm
Original Poster

September Traveling in Japan

Flyers,
I initially plan to visit Japan early Sept for about 10-14 days. However, recently a friend mentioned that August-Sept is Japan's storm season.
I check wiki/weather site, and many of them confirm only for the month of August.
So I want to check with fellow travelers here.
Am I overly concerned? What kind of season I should expect coming in early to mid September in Japan?
Appreciate your thought
Old May 25, 2015, 12:01 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Where in Japan? It covers a huge range.
Old May 25, 2015, 12:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
Where in Japan? It covers a huge range.
mainly from Tokyo down south/west

Last edited by fivenue; May 25, 2015 at 5:22 am
Old May 25, 2015, 1:01 am

Programs: Delta Plat & 1M, Hilton Gold, IHG Rewards Plat
Generally we recognize typhoon season in Honshu Island from August to October so in fact September is middle of season. But typhoons which affect strongly over Kanto area (incl. Tokyo) are only 2-4 per year and each typhoon normally goes away within a day.
If you plan fishing or some other marine activities this may matter but otherwise you don’t have to be concerned too much.
On the other hand, next day of storm is always a so beautiful day with extremely clear weather that we even have a special Japanese word to describe it “台風一過” (taifu-ikka).
Old May 25, 2015, 1:27 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
It can also be pretty warm in early September.

When you say "Tokyo and southeast," what does that mean? If you are looking at Osaka and Kyoto, that would be southwest. Very far to the southeast from Tokyo would be in the Pacific Ocean.
Old May 25, 2015, 5:23 am
Original Poster

sorry, i meant south/west.
basically tokyo - osaka - kyoto to maybe fukuoka
Old May 25, 2015, 7:21 am

In that case, don't worry about it. Tokyo is too far east to be hit by most typhoons, Kyoto is sufficiently inland to be sheltered, and even Osaka is mostly protected as it's tucked away at the far end of a bay. If a typhoon does hit, it'll rain heavily for a day and that's about it, although if it's a bad one there may be brief transport disturbances afterwards due to landslides, flooding, etc.
Old May 25, 2015, 7:54 am

Programs: UA, NW
I've been through several typhoons in Tokyo. Mostly it just rains, sometimes with an intensity that is hard to believe, but storm surges and 80 mph winds are unlikely, since Tokyo is partly sheltered by Boso Peninsula and Kyoto is inland. It's the peninsulas and the offshore islands that bear the worst of the typical storm, and the train or bus you planned to take may be temporarily out of service.

However, one of the advantages of Japan is that there is always an alternative means of transportation. For example, if a section of train tracks is blocked due to a landslide, the railroad company will provide a bus.

For traveling in the typhoon season, I recommend shoes that won't be ruined by a thorough soaking. Don't bother packing an umbrella or a rain jacket, though. Every convenience store sells umbrellas for a low price, and it will probably be warm enough that a rain jacket would only be uncomfortable.
Old May 25, 2015, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

thank you so much guys ...
Old May 25, 2015, 11:33 pm

Programs: Delta
As mentioned above, it's likely to be very hot and muggy, including at night. Early September can feel the same as August. Actually, a typhoon in mid-September can often be a blessing, because it tends to blow out the hot sultry weather.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.