Wiki Posts
Search

Choice of 5* Hotel in Tokyo for one night only

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2015, 5:51 am
Original Poster

Choice of 5* Hotel in Tokyo for one night only

Hi all,

First time posting in this forum for me.

I have a one night stopover in Tokyo landing at 8.00am into NRT in Jan 2016, flying out the next day from HND at 11am.

I have been to Tokyo once before about 4 years ago when I had an extensive 4 week holiday. I loved every minute.

During that time I stayed with a friend in the Minami-Azabu area.

This time around I will be travelling with my SO who has always wanted to visit Japan.

I would love to have your advice/thoughts on which 5* Hotel to go for in the City.

I have a shortlist at the moment with the following hotels which are within my budget for a standard King room with breakfast:

Conrad
Grand Hyatt (enjoyed Rigalleto's here in a number of occasions in the past!)
Park Hyatt
The Capitol

Any information here on location/views/whether Exec room worthwhile or not/food etc would be great!

My rough trip outline is as follows. It is for a Tuesday:

NB// As far as I can tell - the weather should be cold-ish (not for a Brit!), but hopefully bright without too much rain meaning outdoor activities should be OK.

1. NEX into Tokyo. Maybe head straight to Tsukiji for a sushi breakfast if time?
2. (Hopefully) an early checkin.
3. Freshen up and head out for lunch/brunch somewhere close to the hotel
4. See a few sights in the afternoon
Thoughts (obviously would not do all of this): Skytree, maybe some Departos, Yoyogi Park, Harajuku female fashion shops, Imperial Palace, Waterfront, Museums (I have zero knowledge here - very embarrassing, but my trip to Japan last time I was somewhat younger and Tokyo was the "drinking" portion of the holiday!)
5. Head back to hotel for a freshen up, maybe spa etc so would be good to get views on the facilities of the above hotels.
6. Head out (or in!) for dinner - very little experience here past Rigaletto's and various yakitori places around Harajuku!
7. Maybe some drinks to round off the evening - either a swanky high rise bar for the view or somewhere cooler - I don't know.

As I say - thank you in advance and all advice very gratefully received.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 6:11 am

Programs: Delta
What date in January? New Year holidays will cover from Jan 1 to 3, maybe even 4 this next year. Jan 11 is also a national holiday.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nishimark
What date in January? New Year holidays will cover from Jan 1 to 3, maybe even 4 this next year. Jan 11 is also a national holiday.
The night of Jan 11th!
Old Apr 20, 2015, 9:19 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Jan 11 (coming of age day) will not require any special planning - Tokyo will be almost "business as usual" with sprinklings of young people in traditional dress.

Given your familiarity with the Azabu area and so on, I'd suggest staying at the Grand Hyatt. The location should make for a pretty easy trip to HND on the 12th. (I'd just take a taxi for that trip IIWY). And since you know the lay of the land, it will be easy for you to enjoy the short time you have there with your SO.

Take a limousine bus rather than the N'EX.
Don't bother with the Tsukiji breakfast.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jib71
Jan 11 (coming of age day) will not require any special planning - Tokyo will be almost "business as usual" with sprinklings of young people in traditional dress.

Given your familiarity with the Azabu area and so on, I'd suggest staying at the Grand Hyatt. The location should make for a pretty easy trip to HND on the 12th. (I'd just take a taxi for that trip IIWY). And since you know the lay of the land, it will be easy for you to enjoy the short time you have there with your SO.

Take a limousine bus rather than the N'EX.
Don't bother with the Tsukiji breakfast.
Thanks jib.

No worries on traffic from NRT into the city centre for limo bus you think?

Also - if you have any eating recommendations around please give me a hint
Old Apr 20, 2015, 10:16 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by love_flying_hate_strikes
No worries on traffic from NRT into the city centre for limo bus you think?
If anything, I'd expect the roads to be clearer on Jan 11 than on a normal Monday. If you really don't like buses (I hate them) you could consider the Skyliner to Ueno and then subway to Roppongi. That would be my route, but I think it's a YMMV kind of thing.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 7:05 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Of the four hotels you list, current wisdom would likely place the Park Hyatt as still in the 5* category but the others wouldn't be. If you're not into luxury hotels, I'd say you wouldn't notice the difference and any of them would work, pick by price.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 12:39 am

If the view is what you care most about, Prince Park Tower and request a room with a tower view.

You will not get a better view anywhere, nor a balcony. (Unless you stay in Odaiba.)

I don't know whether it's otherwise a 5 star hotel, but it is the kind of place where the management parks Ferraris outside for aesthetic reasons. They also offer helicopter service from the airport.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 3:29 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses everyone. I think I've narrowed it down to

Conrad
Grand Hyatt

I'm leaning towards Conrad due to my status but was wondering on the location.

If we wanted to go for an evening stroll / drink or two - can we still do that from the Conrad or is it better to go with the GH?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.