Wiki Posts
Search

Another Tokyo / Kyoto set of questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2015, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Another Tokyo / Kyoto set of questions

Starting to plan a vacation next year (April 2016) to Tokyo and Kyoto. Will be flying LAX to Tokyo. Planning on 6 nights in Tokyo, 3 nights in Kyoto and then 1 final night in Tokyo before flying back to LAX. I have been to Tokyo a couple of times but that was over 20 years ago. Wife has never been.

For Tokyo, we are looking at the Conrad or the Grand Hyatt. Which do people suggest. Have no status with Hyatt and am Diamond with HHonors. Thinking of the Conrad just because of the status. Have sufficient points for both hotels.

In Kyoto we are looking at the Hyatt Regency. Seems to have good reviews and is in a good area. Any other suggestions?

One of the days in Tokyo we will probably take a tour to see Mr. Fuji (assuming the weather is OK) Wife loves shopping so we will, of course spend time around Ginza and Shinjuku. Will also spend a morning visiting Tsukiji.

Any comments about the GH or Conrad or any other of the thoughts.

TIA

Last edited by deant; Mar 22, 2015 at 7:24 pm
Old Mar 22, 2015, 7:46 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd consider using your Hyatt points at the HR in Kyoto and your Hilton points at the Conrad in Tokyo.

You probably will want a JR pass. You can get to what is called the Subaru line access to Mt Fuji 6th station via JR. When added to a round trip to Kyoto and the Narita Express in one direction, that will give you good value for the pass. You can also use the pass to get between Kyoto and Nara.

I'd suggest deciding on the day you go to the Fuji area no earlier than that morning, depending on weather.

Book Kyoto well in advance if you want to try using points, that is cherry blossom season and they are very busy.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Mar 22, 2015 at 7:51 pm
Old Mar 22, 2015, 9:47 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
... Book Kyoto well in advance if you want to try using points, that is cherry blossom season and they are very busy.
+1000.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 11:09 pm
Original Poster

That is exactly why I am investigating options now. I plan on making reservations as soon as they become available.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 12:50 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
My thoughts are:

1. personally I would spend more time in Kyoto.

2. We all have different preferneces when it comes to accommodation but have you considered staying at least one night in a traditional Ryokan rather than just Western-style hotels?
Old Mar 23, 2015, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MaximusDecimusMeridius
My thoughts are:

1. personally I would spend more time in Kyoto.

2. We all have different preferneces when it comes to accommodation but have you considered staying at least one night in a traditional Ryokan rather than just Western-style hotels?
Understand your thoughts on more time in Kyoto. May do it.

As for staying at a Ryokan, I would do it but we want to save the money and stay on points. Also, do not want to spend time jumping around to a couple different hotels. Have short enough time so we don't want to spend it checking into and out of hotels.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I'd consider using your Hyatt points at the HR in Kyoto and your Hilton points at the Conrad in Tokyo.
Actually have enough Hyatt points so we could stay at the Hyatt in both Tokyo and Kyoto if the Grand Hyatt is better than the Conrad.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum
The Conrad is amazing since you are diamond. Very nice executive lounge. I was upgraded to a mini suite with a view of Tokyo Bay. Staff is excellent too. It's close to subway and rail lines.

When I stayed you could eat breakfast in the lounge or in the restaurant. The breakfast in the restaurant was very good with American, Japanese, and European items offered. There are several reviews on Trip Advisor and in the Hilton section here.

I have never stayed at the Hyatt so cannot compare them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.