Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hiroshima and Kyoto

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2015, 3:43 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
Well at HNL getting ready to board for KIX. Looking like an early arrival so any good places I can go in Osaka before heading to the hotel (for pictures)? Looking like Osaka Castle and possibly some street shots.
Aren't you staying in Kyoto? If so, just go there for your photos. KIX is not near Osaka, it is out in the bay on a man-made island. It only takes 15 minutes longer to get to Kyoto than to Osaka.

Osaka Castle is ok for exterior photos but isn't really on anyone's list of sights. It is a modern, concrete reconstruction of the real thing.

For street photography, I'd suggest Kyoto Station and the streets around it.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Aren't you staying in Kyoto? If so, just go there for your photos. KIX is not near Osaka, it is out in the bay on a man-made island. It only takes 15 minutes longer to get to Kyoto than to Osaka.

Osaka Castle is ok for exterior photos but isn't really on anyone's list of sights. It is a modern, concrete reconstruction of the real thing.

For street photography, I'd suggest Kyoto Station and the streets around it.
Sorry, just looked at a map of the train route over to Kyoto. Looks like I'll stick with some evening photography around there and a snack or something by the hotel.

Just doing a tad more research. Is there a JR train from Kyoto to Shin-Osaka (that the wide pass will work on)? The plan is to purchase that in KIX then use the ICOCA card in Kyoto/Hiroshima. As far as I'm seeing the only additional cost will be the round trip Okayama/Hiroshima? Also, how easy is that going to be to do on separate tickets? Would I just purchase Okayama/Hiroshima at Shin-Osaka station and stay on the train all the way through, including Okayama, or would I have to get off then catch the next train?

Edit - Looks like there is a JR line I can take to Shin-Osaka.

Last edited by ChiefNWA; Mar 4, 2015 at 10:24 pm
Old Mar 5, 2015, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
...Just doing a tad more research. Is there a JR train from Kyoto to Shin-Osaka (that the wide pass will work on)? The plan is to purchase that in KIX then use the ICOCA card in Kyoto/Hiroshima. As far as I'm seeing the only additional cost will be the round trip Okayama/Hiroshima? Also, how easy is that going to be to do on separate tickets? Would I just purchase Okayama/Hiroshima at Shin-Osaka station and stay on the train all the way through, including Okayama, or would I have to get off then catch the next train?

Edit - Looks like there is a JR line I can take to Shin-Osaka.
The quickest route from Kyoto to Shin-Osaka would be the JR Haruka Airport Express, since you can't use the Tokaido shinkansen. You can't reserve it for that leg but just walk on and find a seat in the non-reserved car. The Haruka is rarely full outbound from Kyoto in the morning. Afternoons are busier. There is also a local train but it will be slower. From Shin-Osaka to Okayama you can use the shinkansen but also only in a non-reserved car.

I think that last leg will be pretty simple if a little expensive since you will be on the shinkansen. If you have time, you can just buy that ticket at Kyoto before boarding whichever train you will use to Shin-Osaka. You could also buy it at Shin-Osaka or Okayama, whatever is easy. Just make note of what time your preferred train will arrive at Okayama and leave some time to make the connection. Hyperdia will help there. I think I would just exit the platforms at Okayama, turn around and re-enter on your paper ticket and find the right platform. Depending on what time of day it is and how much time you have, Okayama might be a good place to grab a bite to eat or a lunch box to take with you before going back in, since there are many services.

If that all seems a bit complicated, just exit the platforms at Okayama, find the ticket window (midori-no-madoguchi) and buy a round trip ticket to/from Hiroshima. Okayama is a major rail hub and there are trains leaving every few minutes. Since you are paying for this part of the trip, you can reserve seats.

Last edited by abmj-jr; Mar 5, 2015 at 1:20 am
Old Mar 5, 2015, 5:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
The quickest route from Kyoto to Shin-Osaka would be the JR Haruka Airport Express, since you can't use the Tokaido shinkansen. You can't reserve it for that leg but just walk on and find a seat in the non-reserved car. The Haruka is rarely full outbound from Kyoto in the morning. Afternoons are busier. There is also a local train but it will be slower. From Shin-Osaka to Okayama you can use the shinkansen but also only in a non-reserved car.

I think that last leg will be pretty simple if a little expensive since you will be on the shinkansen. If you have time, you can just buy that ticket at Kyoto before boarding whichever train you will use to Shin-Osaka. You could also buy it at Shin-Osaka or Okayama, whatever is easy. Just make note of what time your preferred train will arrive at Okayama and leave some time to make the connection. Hyperdia will help there. I think I would just exit the platforms at Okayama, turn around and re-enter on your paper ticket and find the right platform. Depending on what time of day it is and how much time you have, Okayama might be a good place to grab a bite to eat or a lunch box to take with you before going back in, since there are many services.

If that all seems a bit complicated, just exit the platforms at Okayama, find the ticket window (midori-no-madoguchi) and buy a round trip ticket to/from Hiroshima. Okayama is a major rail hub and there are trains leaving every few minutes. Since you are paying for this part of the trip, you can reserve seats.
Just arrived at the hotel in Kyoto. Decided to buy the Kansai/Hiroshima area pass. Seems to include the same rail (got me to Kyoto) and includes the Shinkansen all the way to Hiroshima (minus the Kyoto-Shin-Osaka bit). The way Hyperdia calculated the rt Okayama-Hiroshima, this was a cheaper option. Thanks for all the help! I'll keep this post updated on how everything goes the next few days.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 10:59 am

All that said, it is true that most trips from Kyoto to Hiroshima require a connection at either Shin-Osaka, Shin-Kobe or Himeji, with the majority at Shin-Osaka. It is not a difficult change as all the shinkansens arrive and depart at the same part of the station. Often you will be using the same platform or one very nearby. If you look closely at the Hyperdia results, they will often list the exact platform used.

The train connections from Kyoto are a lot like hub-and-spoke air connections in the US. I can't get anywhere from my regional airport without connecting somewhere either.
Thanks! This was very helpful. If our itinerary is flying into NRT, spending 2 nights in Tokyo, then 5 nights in Osaka (with day trips to Himeji and Miyajima) before taking an LCC flight from KIX-NRT to connect to our trip back to the U.S., does it seem to make more sense to buy (1) a NEX Tokyo Direct Ticket, (2) a one-way Nozomi ticket from Tokyo to Shin-Osaka, and (3) a JR West Hiroshima Area Pass? Unless my math is wrong, that would be cheaper than a 7-day JR Pass.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by silentbob1974
Thanks! This was very helpful. If our itinerary is flying into NRT, spending 2 nights in Tokyo, then 5 nights in Osaka (with day trips to Himeji and Miyajima) before taking an LCC flight from KIX-NRT to connect to our trip back to the U.S., does it seem to make more sense to buy (1) a NEX Tokyo Direct Ticket, (2) a one-way Nozomi ticket from Tokyo to Shin-Osaka, and (3) a JR West Hiroshima Area Pass? Unless my math is wrong, that would be cheaper than a 7-day JR Pass.
I don't see that.

The N'Ex Direct discount ends on March 13. Unless you are going before then, the cost will go back up to the regular fare (assuming JR East does not offer another discount of some sort.)

https://www.jreast.co.jp/e/pass/nex_oneway.html

Adding the regular N'Ex fare plus Nozomi to ShinOsaka plus the Kansai-Hiroshima Pass totals more than 30,000 JPY while the 7-day Rail Pass is 29,110.

IIWM, I'd pay cash for the Keisei Skyliner to get into Tokyo on arrival and activate a 7-day Rail Pass before the trip TYO-ShinOsaka. Then I'd forgo the flight KIX-NRT, instead using the shinkansen and N'Ex to get back to NRT for departure, either day of or the night before, depending on time of departure.

Instead of the Skyliner from NRT to Tokyo, you could use the N'Ex but it is more expensive. I suppose the decision there would depend on where your hotel is located and the difference in cab fares from Ueno, Tokyo or Shinagawa. Another choice, perhaps better for a first-timer, might be the limousine bus if one goes to or near your hotel. In that case, you could eliminate the cost of a cab.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 4:59 pm

Whichever rail pass you decide to purchase, do check out if your local ferry, train, or buses are also covered. For my last trip, I purchased the JR 7 day pass here in California (but need to pick up the ticket in Japan), and was able to use the pass for many non-JR trains, ferry, and buses. They either have signs on the ticketing booth, or online. Sometimes I showed them the pass, and only purchase if they said no. Have fun!
Old Mar 18, 2015, 8:47 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
The Kansai Hiroshima Area Pass is definitely a great addition to JR Area passes for those visiting the Kansai region and Hiroshima.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.