Search

Okinawa, Ishigaki, or both?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2015, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VA WP, NZ *A SG
Okinawa, Ishigaki, or both?

Hi all

Currently planning a fairly complex trip with my cousin for September this year and have about 4-5 days free in Tokyo. Have already been to Tokyo twice so want to get out of do something different. I have wanted to go to Okinawa for years and this seems like the right time to do it. My cousin has suggested Ishigaki instead as somewhere more remote and interesting. We basically want to just lie on a nice beach somewhere very Japanese, relax and take in some of the local culture, whether that be sight seeing, shopping, eating and drinking, day tours etc. We’ll be doing a LOT of moving around and flying over the whole trip so don’t want to be extremely active. We have the option of either having 4, or 5 full days. 5 days means 4 nights so I was thinking we could *probably* fit in both destinations, although it will still be quite rushed. With the other destinations, the 4 day option would be preferable but I doubt we’d have time for both destinations. Okinawa is significantly cheaper and more convenient to get to than Ishigaki.

We would prefer somewhere fairly quiet (but still with some activities), with nice beaches, very Japanese (we’re comfortable with limited English speakers) with a bit of culture. I don’t really want a plastic Japanese-Hawaii, but also don’t want somewhere so remote that there is absolutely nothing to do and everything (ie transport) is a struggle.

What would you recommend? One, the other or both?

Many thanks
Old Feb 19, 2015, 4:09 am

Pick one or the other, not both. I'd plump for Ishigaki: it's big enough to have plenty to do, esp. if you're into diving),and small enough to be pretty chilled out, just don't stay in the city centre. You can also daytrip to Taketomi (gorgeous!).

Getting to Ishigaki is also pretty cheap & easy for us furriners. The rack rates are indeed silly, but you can use JAL/ANA's Y10,000-anywhere-in-Japan fares direct from all of Japan's major cities, plus there are now a bunch of LCCs like Peach that fly there for <Y10k if you snag fares early enough.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VA WP, NZ *A SG
Thank you – were definitely leaning towards Ishigaki. Everything I’ve read says don’t stay in the main town (stay near Kabira) but that is where most of the accommodation is and I imagine we’ll hire a car for ease of moving around given we have limited time there. Any suggestions of something mid-range not in the town?

This trip also involves a few days in Guam. I’ve been to Guam twice and from what I’ve read about Okinawa it sounds quite like Guam anyway (hordes of Japanese package tourists, very commercial, army off-base and a bit run-down? I’ve just discovered those visit Japan airpasses last night – what fabulous value! That will more than half the price of the flights to Ishigaki and it also gives us the flexibility of choosing between JAL/JTA and ANA given each airline only has two direct flights per day – we were all set to book rather expensive JTA flights on very old 737-400s but now have the option of NH 787s for half the price! This is great!

Now I just need to work out if there’s any way to upgrade prior to check-in!
Old Feb 25, 2015, 4:03 am

Originally Posted by smit0847
Thank you – were definitely leaning towards Ishigaki. Everything I’ve read says don’t stay in the main town (stay near Kabira) but that is where most of the accommodation is and I imagine we’ll hire a car for ease of moving around given we have limited time there. Any suggestions of something mid-range not in the town?
Sorry, can't recommend anything outside central Ishigaki, but on Taketomi Peace Island was pretty nice.

Now I just need to work out if there’s any way to upgrade prior to check-in!
At least for JAL, if you're using the pass I don't believe there is, the only option to try your luck at check-in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.