Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aman Tokyo opens Dec 22, 2014

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2014, 4:56 am
Original Poster

Aman Tokyo opens Dec 22, 2014

Having trouble finding a hotel in Tokyo where a regular room lightens your wallet by 100,000 yen/night? Fear not, Aman Tokyo in Otemachi is about to solve this pressing problem:

http://www.amanresorts.com/amantokyo/home.aspx

Cheapest room Y91,930 for a randomly chosen night in April. Then again, this does get you 71 sq.m., which is pretty gargantuan by Tokyo standards. Plus complimentary purple prose:

Recognised as one of the world’s Global Cities alongside New York and London, Tokyo is an exciting, vibrant destination. History, commerce and culture fuse in this mega-metropolis that is truly cosmopolitan, yet intrinsically Japanese, offering fascinating juxtapositions at every turn. Gleaming skyscrapers reach for the heavens beside 19th-century palaces; humming intersections exist alongside quaint lanes, lined with convivial yakitori-ya, ramen shops and shochu bars; state-of-the-art shopping centres selling the world’s most exclusive labels overlook beautiful parks, pink with cherry blossoms in spring.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks wonderful !
Old Dec 20, 2014, 3:10 pm
swy

Programs: Greyhound Vermillion Mithril
Why does the booking link goes to synxis.com? Seems too sketchy for conspicuous consumers like yours truly.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by swy
Why does the booking link goes to synxis.com? Seems too sketchy for conspicuous consumers like yours truly.
http://www.sabrehospitality.com/cent...on-systems.php
Old Dec 20, 2014, 5:53 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Recognised as one of the world’s Global Cities alongside New York and London, Tokyo is an exciting, vibrant destination. History, commerce and culture fuse in this mega-metropolis that is truly cosmopolitan, yet intrinsically Japanese, offering fascinating juxtapositions at every turn. Gleaming skyscrapers reach for the heavens beside 19th-century palaces; humming intersections exist alongside quaint lanes, lined with convivial yakitori-ya, ramen shops and shochu bars; state-of-the-art shopping centres selling the world’s most exclusive labels overlook beautiful parks, pink with cherry blossoms in spring.
That is certainly true for Tokyo in general but in the area of the hotel, as far as I know, there are no 19th century palaces, no quaint lanes (lined or unlined with convivial yakitori-ya), no state-of-the-art shopping centers, and it is not pink with cherry blossoms in spring.

There is a Family Mart convenience store not far from the hotel entrance and a bunch of restaurants in the basement of the office tower the hotel is in, but otherwise it is just a business office area which will be dead at night and on weekends.

Still, there is enough of a crowd that will always choose the most expensive hotel in town so that I expect they will maintain at least 40% occupancy once they get underway. This crowd would fill the suites, however, not the Y92,000/night rooms that are there for the proletariat.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
That is certainly true for Tokyo in general but in the area of the hotel, as far as I know, there are no 19th century palaces, no quaint lanes (lined or unlined with convivial yakitori-ya), no state-of-the-art shopping centers, and it is not pink with cherry blossoms in spring.

There is a Family Mart convenience store not far from the hotel entrance and a bunch of restaurants in the basement of the office tower the hotel is in, but otherwise it is just a business office area which will be dead at night and on weekends.
Well the hotel is about two minutes from the Shin-Maru Building, which has a pretty nice shopping center and a restaurant complex that's quite lively even at midnight. And Marunouchi is certainly not dead on weekends.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 9:28 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
They should make that more conspicuous.

Looks like a lovely hotel. Too bad I don't ever see myself affording it.
No... Not even the prol. rooms.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 11:49 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
About the same price as for a real top class Ryokan, except that at the latter you get Kaiseki meals, private outdoor baths and "authentic geisha" entertainment included.

E: Room size 160 m2 for 90.000 yen
Old Dec 21, 2014, 8:03 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lobsterdog
Well the hotel is about two minutes from the Shin-Maru Building, which has a pretty nice shopping center and a restaurant complex that's quite lively even at midnight. And Marunouchi is certainly not dead on weekends.
Have had lunch several times in the Shin-Marunouchi building. It does have a number of restaurants (personally I like the selection in the building the hotel is in better) and a bookstore. As the bookstore has one smallish area of English books, it is mildly interesting.

Don't think there any other interesting stores and although I haven't been there at midnight, I doubt that it is lively then since most shops and restaurants inside are closed by 11pm (10pm on Sunday) according to their website:

http://www.marunouchi.com/e/shoplist...u/gourmet.html

There are a few bars open later apparently and presumably a fair amount of through walking traffic to Tokyo station.

Furthermore, I bet it takes more than two minutes to get from a hotel room to the street, let alone to walk from the street to that building. I would say the nearest interesting nightlife area is the Ginza (for big spenders) and the izakaya under the tracks near Yurakcho station (for the rest of us). Those are a 10 - 20 minute walk. Both the FSM and the Peninsula are way closer to those.

The upscale/luxury hotels that I'd rate as closest to a full-fledged entertainment district are the RC and the Grand Hyatt in Roppongi.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Dec 21, 2014 at 8:14 pm
Old Dec 21, 2014, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Don't think there any other interesting stores and although I haven't been there at midnight, I doubt that it is lively then since most shops and restaurants inside are closed by 11pm (10pm on Sunday) according to their website
Well I was surprised too, but I've been there at midnight and much later (the entire, huge seventh-floor area is open until 4am every night but Sunday), and it is indeed quite lively and often raucous.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 4:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mosburger
About the same price as for a real top class Ryokan, except that at the latter you get Kaiseki meals, private outdoor baths and "authentic geisha" entertainment included.

E: Room size 160 m2 for 90.000 yen
Sure, but is that in central Tokyo?
Old Dec 22, 2014, 8:28 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Huge fan of Aman beach resorts - don't believe the concept works quite as well in a city hotel, however. That said, I'll probably give this a shot at some point once they work out their service kinks.

In fact, may make a good venue for a Luxury Hotel Forums mini DO.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 2:32 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Any one interested can have a look at the TR over the in Luxury Hotels forum.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 5khours
Any one interested can have a look at the TR over the in Luxury Hotels forum.
Looks like a very nice place, I am sure they will do quite well ! But I feel less clean for having to go over to the Luxury hotel forum to read it !
Old Dec 23, 2014, 6:25 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Looks like a very nice place, I am sure they will do quite well ! But I feel less clean for having to go over to the Luxury hotel forum to read it !
And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet.
(Matthew 10:14)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.