Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Public bathrooms in Japan-how easy to find? Cleanliness?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Public bathrooms in Japan-how easy to find? Cleanliness?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2014, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had about 85% luck with loos in Japan - for the most part clean, and had loo roll (almost none had anywhere to dry your hands after washing to - those pocket squares come in very useful!) I don't mind squat toilets, I've come across them enough times and dress accordingly (skirts are your friend!) provided they are clean. Also found a decent number of western loos which I wasn't expecting necessarily, and I noticed that several tourist places had a loo 'map' as you came in so you could pick your loo style accordingly. It helped when there was a line up of tourists that I was happy to use either style!

But the bad was very bad, and I suspect it was tourists to blame, as Japanese natives would probably have mastered the art of using squat toilets. On two occasions I visited loos where the person before me had not managed to 'aim' over the floor toilets and clearly had upset stomachs. I actually threw up a little in my mouth and am feeling queasy thinking about it now! One was a small train station on the outskirts of Kyoto, the other was at a tourist attraction.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 5:41 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by emma69
dress accordingly (skirts are your friend!)
Dungarees are your worst enemy.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jib71
Nah.

ONESIES are your nemesis. (And there are parents who send their 5 year olds to school in those things )

From the other perspective, I did finally understand why there might be Japanese people who are resistant to the wholesale implementation of Western toilets on my wedding day. I was in my mother-in-law's furisode, trussed up like a beef tenderloin. A squat toilet would have been easy whereas the British toilet was definitely a challenge.

Last edited by LapLap; Dec 8, 2014 at 8:20 pm
Old Dec 9, 2014, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Talk about Japanese public bathrooms… I do not know about ladies rooms, but in men’s room in Japan I see far often that guys leave bathrooms without washing hands…

There is some benefit in keeping greeting by bow down rather than handshake in Japan…
While your junk is stored in a clean cotton container, your hands are touching a myriad of disgusting things throughout the day.

If anything, you should be washing your hands before touching your wiener.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by hailstorm
you should be washing your hands before touching your wiener.
quote of the day.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 4:40 am

Angry

I wouldn't count on the inside of that cotton container being clean. Lots of flora around that part of the bod.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by gnaget
Some people here are in a time warp. The only occasions I have seen squat toilets have been in office buildings where one stall is like this, probably to serve so some old timers who prefer this.

I just spent a week in Tokyo and saw plenty of Japanese style toilets in women's restrooms; in large department stores, restaurants, and in the Tokyo Station. All restrooms also had western style toilets. Some of the restrooms were the nicest and cleanest public restrooms I have ever seen. Some had towels for drying hands, some had air dryers and some had nothing to dry hands.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:03 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet Rewards
Roll up your pants before dropping trou.

Wear thicker-soled shoes or sandals.

Do squats at the gym with weights. It will help your balance, increase strength and help when camping and using squat toilets (especially with no. 2).

Back in 2008, I came across department store and train station washrooms with both western and squat toilets. Most were reasonably clean. Not so much the squat toilet on the train. There was one western toilet and 2 squat toilets all side by side. I didn't check the cleanliness of the western toilet 'cause the line was too long.

My quads are in excellent shape
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by Fragola
My quads are in excellent shape
Umm. OK.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:34 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Do squats at the gym with weights. It will help your balance, increase strength and help when camping and using squat toilets (especially with no. 2).
And yet, 80 year-old grannies seem to use the facilities just fine.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
And yet, 80 year-old grannies seem to use the facilities just fine.
As mentioned, squat toilets were the preferred choice of my then 4 year old daughter. She may have felt rather differently had I dressed her in dungarees or onesies.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Roll up your pants before dropping trou.

Wear thicker-soled shoes or sandals.

Horse riders and skiiers will have no issues - school trip to France circa age 11, the riders among us couldn't understand why others were having issues with the holes in the ground!
Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by emma69
Horse riders and skiiers will have no issues - school trip to France circa age 11, the riders among us couldn't understand why others were having issues with the holes in the ground!
Yes. Mucking out stables is great training for using french toilets.
LapLap likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Yes. Mucking out stables is great training for using french toilets.
^

Thanks for the chuckle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.