Wiki Posts
Search

KFC - proof that not everything in Japan is kawaii

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2014, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

KFC - proof that not everything in Japan is kawaii

Not sure what the details are nor how exactly one goes about acquiring these items. Then again, I am completely lacking in the motivation required to work it out.

All I do know is that these are the ugliest promotional items I've ever seen. No redemption, not even in a postmodern so bad they're good way. Saying that, if I ever wanted to lose weight I might just try and obtain a couple of these gadgets, can't see how I could ever feel very hungry whilst using them.

http://www.kfc.co.jp/campaign/colone...ks3/index.html

The battered and deep fried mouse literally makes me feel ill.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 3:52 pm

Programs: Free agent!
These are delightfully weird but yes, very unattractive. Luckily for you, LapLap, they only made one of the computer mice.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by kevincrumbs
These are delightfully weird but yes, very unattractive. Luckily for you, LapLap, they only made one of the computer mice.
That thing looks like something my cat Smidgen would leave behind after eating expired crunchies.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 11:11 pm

These are AWESOME! I want that chicken USB and the mouse. I only wish the mouse was cordless.

That pillow/hat even has a place where you can keep your hands warm... they have thought of everything!
Old Sep 20, 2014, 4:58 am

Am I a bad person for thinking that there should been a U on that keyboard?
Old Sep 20, 2014, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by midtech
Am I a bad person for thinking that there should been a U on that keyboard?
They're already KFCing with you.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 7:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
I can't stop laughing seeing the page
Old Sep 23, 2014, 6:10 am

Unbelievable. Only in Japan...
Old Sep 23, 2014, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

riding down in the elevator at the shearton in tokyo, a couple kids were excited as a KFC had finally been found. the food was cheap, but the taxi fare each way to get there was about $50us. each way.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 9:08 am

Programs: UA *G MM
Originally Posted by slawecki
riding down in the elevator at the shearton in tokyo, a couple kids were excited as a KFC had finally been found. the food was cheap, but the taxi fare each way to get there was about $50us. each way.
There are 1,181 KFCs in Japan.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Unbelievable. Only (when holidaying) in Japan...
Old Sep 23, 2014, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Which KFC did they go to? The one in Minami Urawa?
Old Sep 23, 2014, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It should only cost around 900-1,000 yen to get from Shirokane Takanawa to Hiroo by taxi (have both walked this route and been pushed along it in a wheelchair). As Pickles has commented, seems strange (but not completely far fetched or impossible) that they'd decide to go out to the boonies for a KFC fix.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 11:13 am

Programs: UA *G MM
Originally Posted by Pickles
Which KFC did they go to? The one in Minami Urawa?
I prefer the one in Kitatoda. They get it just right.

There is a legend that an American walked into the one on Aoyama dori in the 1970s and ordered a huge "feast" on Christmas Day. Then someone thought it was an American Xmas tradition so it was copied and became a local tradition. You will see "pancake restaurant scale" queues around Xmastime at the Aoyama dori branch.

I can see why it is popular given the popularity of katsu, which I find equally repulsive.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gnaget
I prefer the one in Kitatoda. They get it just right.

There is a legend that an American walked into the one on Aoyama dori in the 1970s and ordered a huge "feast" on Christmas Day. Then someone thought it was an American Xmas tradition so it was copied and became a local tradition. You will see "pancake restaurant scale" queues around Xmastime at the Aoyama dori branch.

I can see why it is popular given the popularity of katsu, which I find equally repulsive.
The credit for KFC's success in Japan is completely down to Mitsubishi. If it had been left solely to the Americans at KFC HQ there would have been a long wait before KFC was re-introduced. With Mitsubishi at the wheel and following their insistence on Aoyama being the first store to open in Tokyo, the choice to target foreign customers meant that they were (initially at least) very open to listening
to them. A customer saying that at Christmas time a KFC takeout was the next best thing to a Turkey Dinner got reported, the elites in management took notice and the remark inspired their KFC at Christmas campaign. May well be different now, but in the mid 70s those Mitsubishi people knew EXACTLY what they were doing as bringing previously unattainable luxury items (or at least the idea of them) to the masses was BIG business for them. KFC at Christmas is exactly the same concept as surimi (fish paste) crab meat at Christmas and tasteless hydroponic strawberries in a cream cake. There was no misunderstanding, just a very astute business decision that paid off, they understood their market beautifully.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.