Wiki Posts
Search

Great ramen in Tokyo

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2014, 7:57 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
How kind of you, where shall I send the bill ?
Just use my name and Tokyo, they'll figure it out.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 11:33 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold
Originally Posted by mosburger
Kabuki-cho, where there are enough Hokkaido origin people living on the fringes of society to guarantee quality. Just follow your gut feeling once there.
is there a good hokkaido or tonkotosu ramen place in kabuki-cho/shinjuku you recommend? I went to a "highly rated" one between shinjuku station and the big uniqlo that I didn't find that amazing (comparable to what I can get in LA).

Also, a friend told me about a stand up only ramen place near the old tokyo olympic stadium that was down right awful. Been burned a couple of times, would love some good ramen when i'm in town at the end of sept!
Old Sep 18, 2014, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by bbmatt
is there a good hokkaido or tonkotosu ramen place in kabuki-cho/shinjuku you recommend? I went to a "highly rated" one between shinjuku station and the big uniqlo that I didn't find that amazing (comparable to what I can get in LA).
Lots of ramen shops are scattered northwest of Shinjuku Station (west of Seibu Shinjuku Sta). Been to many of them, and a couple of them were very good. I think this one was one of the good ones (Ryumen Hanabiya):

http://tabelog.com/tokyo/A1304/A130401/13004220/dtlmap/
Old Sep 19, 2014, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by LapLap
Then why bother with a forum, Strawboy1230?

There are plenty of guidebooks and websites out there that will give lists of suggestions. Here, there is a chance of communicating and finding out more about the person making the request. The person querying may not even realise they've made a vague request and that there are literally thousands of X kinds of restaurants and shops in an array of styles using an assortment of techniques and offered at a wide range of price points. A bit of dialogue can help the seasoned travellers and expats here work out what it might be that they actually want.

As jib71 said, there's be little point sending someone off to Minowa for Ramen if they are staying in Ebisu, just as sending off to have their digestive tract violently assaulted at Ramen Jiro is not a kindness if it turns out that they would prefer to dip their toes into the Ramen world with the lighter citrus scented offering from Afuri.
Because all guidebooks and websites have are just random opinions from their own writers and pundits. The point of a forum, imo, is to share what YOUR experiences are and what you think is best. I understand that part of that involves asking clarification questions to OP, but so many responses in this subforum are: "oh man Japan is just sooooo complex. You gotta tell me what you like man."

Like comeon.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Strawboy1230
Because all guidebooks and websites have are just random opinions from their own writers and pundits. The point of a forum, imo, is to share what YOUR experiences are and what you think is best.
I see, so the random (but personal) opinions from the contributors of a forum are more relevant than the random (and often personal) opinions from guidebook writers and website pundits.

Actually, I don't see how that is, but clearly the distinction makes complete sense to you.

like comeon
I'm happy to lag along in the rear if this is what "coming on" means.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 8:33 am

Programs: FT
Because all guidebooks and websites have are just random opinions from their own writers and pundits. The point of a forum, imo, is to share what YOUR experiences are and what you think is best. I understand that part of that involves asking clarification questions to OP, but so many responses in this subforum are: "oh man Japan is just sooooo complex. You gotta tell me what you like man."

Like comeon.
have you even been to Tokyo?
Old Sep 19, 2014, 9:19 am

Programs: UA *G MM
I think ramen is a neighborhood thing. So, around Shibuya, I recommend Toride on Kyu-Yamate dori. This is Hakata style. They also serve decent nihonshu.

There is also another place near where Kyu-Yamate meets 246 next to a Denny's on the way to Daikanyama. The address is probably Nanpeidai. I forgot the name but it has shio 塩(salt) in the name; obviously their specialty is shio ramen. The nice thing about this place is that has a nice ambience (for a ramenya) inside and also outdoor tables and have heat lamps for early Spring and fall.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 5:34 pm

Programs: Delta Gold 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium
With the risk of sounding like a total newbie, how about the Tokyo Ramen Street in the Tokyo station underground mall?
Old Sep 20, 2014, 5:41 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by Daytona
With the risk of sounding like a total newbie, how about the Tokyo Ramen Street in the Tokyo station underground mall?
There is a rather unique place, Kizo, there that is from Sendai that has beef tounge...it was decent. Lines tended to be long.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 6:03 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Originally Posted by Daytona
There are a few good places; Rokurinsha (tonkotsu shoyu tsukemen) tends to have the longest lines (and for good reason), but I also like Tonari (tanmen), Honda (shoyu), and Ikaruga (tonkotsu gyokai).
Old Sep 26, 2014, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by armagebedar
Ikaruga (tonkotsu gyokai).
Tonkotsu gyokai? I'm having a hard time imagining what that will taste like -- I'll have to try that next time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.