Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tokyo real estate

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2014, 12:06 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by mjm
I wonder at the meaning of decent and at the term central wards. If decent means Grade A then the price described is about 10,000 off the mark. If decent seeks to define an apartment that is quite acceptable by the standards of most people in their 20’s – 50’s, i.e. the non-expat and non-super wealthy local population, then that is pretty close.

Depending on who you are asking, the central wards are the central 3 or those plus Shinjuku and Shibuya. In several areas there are many choices at the price point mentioned here. In the better areas the price creeps up dramatically, often on a building by building basis. Up to 30,000 would be very normal in these areas.

Prices have been, in the last 10 years, up then down then down further and then up and recently up even further. What does everyone think will happen in the run-up to the Olympics?

Decent = Japanese style ferro-concrete built within the last 10 to 15 years.

Premium market has been more volatile. The market for properties below around 300k per month has been very steady.

There's some stuff listed at 25 to 30k, but only for very large units in brand new properties in the best locations. The market is very thin, has high vacancy rates and anyone paying much over 20k is a rube.

And..it's easy to get accurate data on market rental rates if you know where to look.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 5khours

Premium market has been more volatile. The market for properties below around 300k per month has been very steady.

There's some stuff listed at 25 to 30k, but only for very large units in brand new properties in the best locations. The market is very thin, has high vacancy rates and anyone paying much over 20k is a rube.

And..it's easy to get accurate data on market rental rates if you know where to look.
Just for clarification sake, what do you consider to be "very large" units in the best locations ? I am currently interested in moving and the places I have seen bar one (the German landlord kept changing the lease rules through the negotiation so we walked), are NOT very large nor in what I consider desirable places to live.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Just for clarification sake, what do you consider to be "very large" units in the best locations ? I am currently interested in moving and the places I have seen bar one (the German landlord kept changing the lease rules through the negotiation so we walked), are NOT very large nor in what I consider desirable places to live.
250 sqm and up... Hiroo, Azabu, Aoyama, etc.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

250 sqm and up... Hiroo, Azabu, Aoyama, etc.
250,000-300,000 for 250 sqm ? Please point me in the right direction for these nuggets !
Old Sep 11, 2014, 1:35 am
KPT

Programs: JAL Sapphire
I'd be surprised to find 250sqm anything in Azabu, even including 一戸建て

EDIT: This listing for example is at 1M/month:
http://www.chintai.net/detail/bk_C01005807000619001/
Old Sep 11, 2014, 1:46 am

250,000-300,000 for 250 sqm ? Please point me in the right direction for these nuggets !
25 to 30k per tsubo.

Originally Posted by KPT
I'd be surprised to find 250sqm anything in Azabu, even including 一戸建て

EDIT: This listing for example is at 1M/month:
http://www.chintai.net/detail/bk_C01005807000619001/
Have a look at the Ken Coporation site. Most of the high end rental properties get listed there.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 2:01 am
mjm
Original Member

So an SRC construction is decent? I would consider that decent 30 years ago maybe. Today steel frame and at least passive dampers is the minimum for a better building.

I cannot afford these and just bought an apartment in older used SRC building in phenomenal condition. It is not however Grade A simply because of how it is constructed.

Central ward units for 300K or less are either going to be very old, very small, very inconveniently located, or built on landfill as we see in Takeshiba. It is a segment of the market which grows in supply regularly as buildings age so yes, since that outstrips demand, I would expect stability there.

25K to 30K per Tsubo is not solely for brand new, not in even the best locations (as that is very subjective). LArge units 200sqm+ is in fact a segment of the market that has seen much supply growth but necessarily new supply growth. As families abandon Tokyo for Singapore, HK, the US etc. the existing supply comes online again. New supply is often put on sale rather than rented and it is being grabbed with a huge appetite by fellow Asians.

So Vacancy rates can be looked at by unit size, location, and even company. Some companies with large units do very well others not so much. Sumitomo is having a challenge so drop prices. This is a very elastic market after all. Others prefer to market skim and run at high 90's percentage levels of occupancy consistently. So actually the assertion of high vacancy is not accurate across the board at this unit size. One must analyze the market in more detail. It is interesting to note that many units go for 30-40K a month. And many of these are not new at all.

And as for accurate market rental rates. No this is simply not true outside of what a developer tells you about their own units and that will be inflated so they look good. Anyone who believes they have access to marketwide and accurate data on real achievable prices is wither an agent, a developer or wrong.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 9:19 am

Programs: UA *G MM
MJM, you always disparage my comments when I inform that it is possible to find nice places at far below the prices that you (and 5K) cite. The Akasaka real estate website data supports my experience, and provides invaluable data about asking prices for neighborhoods, age, etc.. The key difference is that one will pay a hell of lot more per SQM when renting from a big corporation than something independently owned.

It is clear to me that the big corporations (like MJM's employer) prefer to have low occupancy than discount units during downturns like 2008-2012. I think higher asking prices for expat targeted housing is partly driven by the weaker yen.

In our case the house was actually being leased by a big corporation that was also the builder, but the property (and the adjacent identical house) was owned by a private individual. To reduce risk he had a contract where he was paid by the corporation whether the house was rented or not. I have no idea if these arrangements are common in Japan.

p.s. Another anecdote was a beautiful house in Yoyogi-Uehara that was brand new as of 2009 and never rented. It was all marble, roof deck, around 200 SQM and we probably could have rented it for 600k. (The asking price had not been cut by much like the other.)
Old Sep 11, 2014, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by mjm
And as for accurate market rental rates. No this is simply not true outside of what a developer tells you about their own units and that will be inflated so they look good. Anyone who believes they have access to marketwide and accurate data on real achievable prices is wither an agent, a developer or wrong.
Sorry to say you are wrong, but you can look at the publicly disclosed information from any of the residential J-REITs and derive precise information on occupancy and rental rates.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by mjm
Central ward units for 300K or less are either going to be very old, very small, very inconveniently located, or built on landfill as we see in Takeshiba. It is a segment of the market which grows in supply regularly as buildings age so yes, since that outstrips demand, I would expect stability there.
It all depends on what we define as "very old, very small, or very inconveniently located". I used to pay 400K for a 100+ square meter gut-renovated unit in a very well-maintained 25 year old high quality building ("Park Mansion") in an absolutely incredible location. This was a few years ago, I doubt rents have risen much since.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looking for a 55-70 sq. metre place. Have seen quite a few places, from Baba mausoleums to disco danny spaces with ozite carpets original to the era ! Still haven't hit that sweet spot yet......
Old Sep 11, 2014, 5:21 pm

In which areas are you looking? Because of high occupancy, the market trades very fast so you need to work a couple of brokers to make sure they show you stuff as soon as it comes on the market.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Central areas as described above. I have met and been shown multiple places by multiple agents, again nothing in the sweet spot yet.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 6:23 pm
KPT

Programs: JAL Sapphire
25 to 30k per tsubo.
Or for a more easily crunchable number, 7.5~9k per sqm

20K per tsubo would be 6k per sqm, so 100sqm is 600k.

Have a look at the Ken Coporation site. Most of the high end rental properties get listed there.
Yeah, there are some gems in here. Not really tempted to move yet, just got here after all
Old Sep 11, 2014, 6:45 pm

Central areas as described above. I have met and been shown multiple places by multiple agents, again nothing in the sweet spot yet.
It's hard to find really nice places, and they get snapped up almost instantly. Especially in the size range you're looking at. Frequent calls to the agents schmoozing them to you email you anything new right away might help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.