Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

In your opinion, should you start or end a Japan vacation in Tokyo?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2014, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

I'll be vacationing in Japan this November and want to go to Tokyo, Hakone, Kyoto, Kanazawa, and maybe Osaka through a 11 day period and was wondering what your thoughts were on either starting or ending the vacation in Tokyo. Which would you recommend?

Also any recommendations of cities similar to the above (and which ones to eliminate) would be highly appreciated. Food, sights, and culture are my focus. Not too big on nightlife or museums per se…but if it's a must-see then obviously I'm down.

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 18, 2014, 9:04 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Wouldn't it depend on where you are flying from?

For example, if you are from Vancouver, it is logical to start in Kansai then end in Kanto because there are no direct flights from Kansai to Vancouver.

Personally, I would start in Kansai because you want to end up near the airport that you are flying out of. This is on the assumption that you are flying into Tokyo via NRT or HND.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Taiwaned
Wouldn't it depend on where you are flying from?

For example, if you are from Vancouver, it is logical to start in Kansai then end in Kanto because there are no direct flights from Kansai to Vancouver.

Personally, I would start in Kansai because you want to end up near the airport that you are flying out of. This is on the assumption that you are flying into Tokyo via NRT or HND.
Ah, apologies. I will be flying into NRT and flying out of NRT to JFK.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 10:53 pm

Programs: All of Them
Miyajima just south of Hiroshima is a very neat island. Supposedly where the Japanese think God resides.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 10:56 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
If flying both in and out via NRT, I'd prefer going to Kansai first and working my way back to Tokyo. That is just personal preference. It will actually work just fine either way.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
If flying both in and out via NRT, I'd prefer going to Kansai first and working my way back to Tokyo. That is just personal preference. It will actually work just fine either way.
+1 for me... Travel to the further end first and make your way back up...

The excitement of the upcoming sights will sustain you through the long train journey because you work your way back to Tokyo.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 1:00 am

I also recommend going to Kansai first and making your way back to Tokyo.

I also think that, for the first-timer in Jpn, Kyoto is probably a better place to start out than Tokyo in terms of easing your way into how things work in Jpn and not being overwhelmed. Then once you get used to things (eg, transport, finding food, signs, etc), then you'll probably be able to get more out of your time in Tokyo and appreciate it more instead of being overwhelmed by it.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Richklhs
Miyajima just south of Hiroshima is a very neat island. Supposedly where the Japanese think a God resides.
Fixed that for you.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 5:53 am
In memoriam

Originally Posted by Strawboy1230
Ah, apologies. I will be flying into NRT and flying out of NRT to JFK.
I can't comment on the relative merits of starting or ending in Tokyo. All I know is on our first trip (JAX ---> NRT) we started in Tokyo. In all honesty - we were so dead by the time we arrived in Tokyo (late afternoon) that we couldn't have traveled another inch. We went to our hotel - had a light room service dinner - crashed - and hit the street early the next morning. Later in our trip we went to Osaka - and then Kyoto. And we took an early morning train back to Tokyo/NRT from Kyoto the day of our flight home (our flight left late in the afternoon). Worked out fine.

I guess one issue is where do you want to suffer the worst of your jet lag? Although - if you're not much into night life - that might not be a major consideration (you'll be waking up/getting sleepy very early).

Another issue might be the days of your trip. And if anything you especially want to see/do takes place/is open/closed on certain days/dates. FWIW - I think that with 11 days - I'd pretty much limit myself to 3 destinations in Japan. Robyn

Last edited by robyng; Aug 19, 2014 at 6:01 am
Old Aug 19, 2014, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by robyng
I can't comment on the relative merits of starting or ending in Tokyo. All I know is on our first trip (JAX ---> NRT) we started in Tokyo. In all honesty - we were so dead by the time we arrived in Tokyo (late afternoon) that we couldn't have traveled another inch. We went to our hotel - had a light room service dinner - crashed - and hit the street early the next morning. Later in our trip we went to Osaka - and then Kyoto. And we took an early morning train back to Tokyo/NRT from Kyoto the day of our flight home (our flight left late in the afternoon). Worked out fine.

I guess one issue is where do you want to suffer the worst of your jet lag? Although - if you're not much into night life - that might not be a major consideration (you'll be waking up/getting sleepy very early).

Another issue might be the days of your trip. And if anything you especially want to see/do takes place/is open/closed on certain days/dates. FWIW - I think that with 11 days - I'd pretty much limit myself to 3 destinations in Japan. Robyn
Great advice. Thank you for that. Would you mind sharing where you went in Osaka? I'm trying to decide if it's worth going.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 3:47 pm
In memoriam

Great advice. Thank you for that. Would you mind sharing where you went in Osaka? I'm trying to decide if it's worth going.
We were in Osaka during Cherry Blossom season. When the Cherry Blossom festival was going on (also the flower festival at the Castle). Apart from those festivities - there was the aquarium (which we liked a lot) - and the different food in that region.

If I were traveling when you're traveling - I might try a place other than Osaka for my third destination.

Will you have 11 full days? Or 11 nights and 10 days? And are you counting date of departure as a full day - which would pretty much make it 9 days unless you depart very late? If only 9 full days - you can easily fill your time in Tokyo and Kyoto (with perhaps a day trip out of one or the other or both).

Keep in mind that my husband and I are pretty much slow/intensive travelers (especially as we get older - we're both pushing 70 now). Settle down and "soak it up" types - as opposed to have see this/that/the other thing travelers. Robyn
Old Aug 19, 2014, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by robyng
We were in Osaka during Cherry Blossom season. When the Cherry Blossom festival was going on (also the flower festival at the Castle). Apart from those festivities - there was the aquarium (which we liked a lot) - and the different food in that region.

If I were traveling when you're traveling - I might try a place other than Osaka for my third destination.

Will you have 11 full days? Or 11 nights and 10 days? And are you counting date of departure as a full day - which would pretty much make it 9 days unless you depart very late? If only 9 full days - you can easily fill your time in Tokyo and Kyoto (with perhaps a day trip out of one or the other or both).

Keep in mind that my husband and I are pretty much slow/intensive travelers (especially as we get older - we're both pushing 70 now). Settle down and "soak it up" types - as opposed to have see this/that/the other thing travelers. Robyn
Fair enough. I believe it is 11 full days and 10 nights. I agree that focusing on fewer cities is better than tagging as much cities as possible. Is it difficult to travel from Kyoto to Osaka though?
Old Aug 19, 2014, 10:16 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
... Is it difficult to travel from Kyoto to Osaka though?
1/2 hour on the train.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 11:34 pm

Personally, I don't think there is a lot to see in Osaka... there is the Osaka Castle, Universal Studios, Osaka Aquarium and Dotonbori/Shinsaibashi, Umeda Sky Tower. My personal highlight for Osaka was the aquarium.

As it's only 30 minutes from Kyoto, you can consider it as a day trip from Kyoto instead? Although as a day trip out of Kyoto, between Osaka and Nara, I would choose Nara for you since you mentioned that you are more into culture (Nara has 3 World Heritage Sites), rather than nightlife (one of the highlights of Osaka)
Old Aug 20, 2014, 5:07 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SQ319
Personally, I don't think there is a lot to see in Osaka... there is the Osaka Castle, Universal Studios, Osaka Aquarium and Dotonbori/Shinsaibashi, Umeda Sky Tower. My personal highlight for Osaka was the aquarium.
Osaka is a city known for food - e.g. okonomiyaki and takoyaki - and if one is into bizarre architecture, they've got plenty of that too.

For those tourists more interested in pre-WWII history and culture, Kyoto and Nara are the places to go for a seminal Kansai visit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.