Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Smoking in Japan?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2014, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Smoking in Japan?

What are the general views on cigar and pipe smoking outdoors in Japan? Are most hotel suites non-smoking? I'm not a cigarette smoker btw, I just enjoy cigars and pipes; particularly when traveling. Would this be a cultural taboo?
Old Jul 14, 2014, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
It's more liberal than US or Europe. They still have smoking hotel rooms. Outdoors it is forbidden in some central areas like Shibuya station and they have smoking zones, which are usually full of people. The bans are done by local government; in Tokyo this is by the special ward government. It's possible that it is forbidden outdoors in Shibuya ward and not just in central areas, but people certainly smoke in the less congested back streets. In the crowded areas people abide by the rules and cluster in these smoking zones.

Similarly some restaurants allow smoking or smoking areas while others do not. Usually the more upmarket, the more the likely the ban. But it is free market rather than the US/Europe model.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the detailed info. What about in a city like Kyoto? Would it be culturally frowned upon for me to walk around with a cigar while sightseeing? Are the outdoor smoking bans restricted to the big cities like Tokyo, Osaka, etc? I'd be more inclined to smoke a cigar or pipe in the more rural towns; less so walking around Tokyo.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 6:32 pm
mjm
Original Member

In a word yes. i.e. taboo.

Not only is it illegal in most of the central wards of Tokyo, but in general it is akin to walking and eating. It is low class behavior and you will be judged to be such.

Smoking a cigar in a place (bar, restaurant, etc.) that allows for cigar smoking is the best bet.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 6:39 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Originally Posted by OliverB
Thanks for the detailed info. What about in a city like Kyoto? Would it be culturally frowned upon for me to walk around with a cigar while sightseeing? Are the outdoor smoking bans restricted to the big cities like Tokyo, Osaka, etc? I'd be more inclined to smoke a cigar or pipe in the more rural towns; less so walking around Tokyo.
Yes, it would -- not only culturally but legally as well. Smoking on the street or in public areas in Kyoto (and many other places) is banned citywide, with a 1,000 JPY fine as penalty in certain designated areas. Not only that, but non-smokers really don't want to walk through a cloud of smoke in a public place. Inaddition to smoking areas of restaurants and hotels, there are designated smoking stations on the street, as well as convenience stores, cigarette shops, etc. that have ashtrays.

Some restaurants ban cigars and pipes due to their strong smell (personally I find them preferable to cigarettes), so you may be asked refrain from using them. I would ask before lighting up just to be safe.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Okay, thanks for all the info.

Due to the embargo here in the States, I was planning on picking up a couple of boxes while in Tokyo, but I'll reserve them for our hotel suite... if the missus doesn't take issue with it! As an ocassional (non-cigarette) smoker, I do appreciate the city-wide ban though it's peculiar that smoking in bars and restaurants would still be considered acceptable and non-invasive. I initially asked because I had read that it's not uncommon for people to light up in izakayas or to walk into smoke-filled bars in Tokyo. I typically enjoy a good cigar or pipe when outdoors and in nature, usually that's weekends in the Eastern Sierras. I rarely ever smoke in the city. It's not important enough for me to seek out lounges or anything. I assume that most all high end ryokan would surely have a strict no-smoking policy (I hope!) right?

Thanks again for the insight.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 7:35 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
I do appreciate the city-wide ban though it's peculiar that smoking in bars and restaurants would still be considered acceptable and non-invasive.
I agree that it is peculiar. There are a number of historical and political reasons why this is so. One hopes that it will change as Japan prepares for the Olympics in 2020, but I'm not holding my breath (though maybe I should if indoor smoking persists...!).

Last edited by armagebedar; Jul 14, 2014 at 7:47 pm Reason: typo
Old Jul 14, 2014, 7:46 pm
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by armagebedar
I agree that it is peculiar. There are a number of historical and political issues why this is so. One hopes that it will change as Japan prepares for the Olympics in 2020, but I'm not holding my breath (though maybe I should if indoor smoking persists...!).
Ditto!
Old Jul 14, 2014, 9:37 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by gnaget
It's possible that it is forbidden outdoors in Shibuya ward and not just in central areas
Most of the ward governments in Tokyo specifically ban "smoking while walking" and/or smoking on public streets, the concept being that you can still smoke outdoors (e.g. in a park, on a balcony or rooftop, in a designated smoking zone) as long as your smoke doesn't interfere with traffic. This is the gist of the rule in Chiyoda, Minato, Shinjuku and a few other wards.

There is no such ban in most of Shibuya. I am not sure what the rule is around Shibuya Station, but I see a lot of smokers walking around Ebisu, Hiroo, Yoyogi, etc.

The outdoor smoking bans in Kyoto, Osaka and other cities are also generally limited to specific central areas which are indicated by signs.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 10:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IME major hotels in big cities in Japan have at least one bar that permits cigars and pipes. Fancy hotel restaurants frequently have smoking lounges that permit cigars and pipes if they don't have tables that slow this.

You're more likely to see a sign banning cell phone use.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 1:21 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
it's peculiar that smoking in bars and restaurants would still be considered acceptable and non-invasive.
Really? Don't you remember a time when people smoked in bars in your part of the world? It seems to me like this is a recent development and although I think most countries are heading in the same direction I wouldn't expect every country to move in lock step. Austria is also "old fashioned" in this regard. Bars are still too smoky for my liking there.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 1:44 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Okay, thanks for all the info.
Don't you think it's about time to just relax and take some aspects of your trip to Japan as they come?

This is starting to look like an obsession questioning each and every form of behavior before even going... just go, enjoy yourself and simply look around you to see what's considered to be acceptable behavior. And if you get it wrong you will only be one of the rude tourists who doesn't know any better. Everybody will live.

What fun is having the experience of visiting a new country when you have a minute-by-minute schedule and have debated every aspect of your stay in detail before you have even seen the place?
Old Jul 15, 2014, 3:05 am

Originally Posted by RTW1
This is starting to look like an obsession questioning each and every form of behavior before even going...
Hmm. Sounds like Flyertalk to me.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 4:01 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jib71
Hmm. Sounds like Flyertalk to me.
. I get it that people want to be prepared..... but spending more than a year before a trip obsessing over every little detail I don't get.

Takes away all experiences you will have if you have an open mind and simply travel. You will just be left with looking for confirmation of the things you perceive you already know or just shaking your head how wrong FT is. Plan the big things and just experience the smaller things. It's normally those things you haven't planned for or are surprised by that make the most lasting impressions.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by RTW1
[Blah blah blah] I don't get.
YMMV as they say.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.