Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Narita Airport- How early should I arrive?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Narita Airport- How early should I arrive?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2014, 9:26 pm
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
thanks, I think the sushi is a good call too and the prices don't look to bad for an airport at the Asian Cafe Bowl

edited to say STARBUCK's!!!! LOL.. also, a bit off topic but are there SBUX throughout Tokyo?
As ubiquitous as in the US. The second busiest one in the world was here 10 years ago and was replaced by the busiest a few years later. That ha subsided a bit but yes, they are everywhere.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by gnaget
5K is spot on here. Unless you want to hang out in the lounge then 1 hr is enough, although I usually targeted like 1 hour 20 so that I could go to the lounge for ~30 min. I have no idea about checked bag policy since I only did it once in conjunction with leaving the country.

Also the bus schedules are extremely padded so you will typically arrive 30 min ahead of schedule. The exception is from TCAT; there the transit time is pretty accurate and I think the driver has driving slowly to be right on schedule.

Although once at HND we were flying to HKG on ANA in business and we had to buy a connection because the non-stop only had a few seats full C booking class. So we arrived just around 40 min before the non-stop (1 hour before our flight) and we asked them about changing to the non-stop. I realized chances were small because of general rules and not wanting to bend them. But then the first reason that we couldn't change was because it was inside the 40 min window.

Has anyone dropped bags with UA within the 60 minute window? 5K?

p.s. There is never a wait of more than a couple of minutes at security at NRT but there might be a ~10-15 minute wait at emigration during the worst times. Then you will see ANA staff with signs helping people cut the line.
Still think 1hr is not enough for the rest of us who fly economy and check in bags. I'd still say make sure your train arrives at NRT minimum 80~90min before departure. Takes close to 10min from platform to check-in. More or less agree with you on security+passport times... worst-case 20-25min combined (best-case ~5min). Security is usually a breeze, but a 15min wait at passport is not a rare occurrence. Then you've gotta walk to the gate, and you don't want to get there 10min before departure. So the remaining variable is the check-in, and that's where I think some of you underestimate the time. I can count on <10min with UA (status). But I've had an insanely long wait with DL (no status).

Agree with you on the Limo buses. Those buses are always on time or early.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 6:22 am

In T2, we usually get sushi to go from Ganso, landside in the arcade thingy 'above' the check-in counters. It's not exactly Sukiyabashi Jiro, but it does wipe the floor with the airport "sushi" available anywhere outside Japan.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 6:35 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by jpatokal
it does wipe the floor with the airport "sushi" available anywhere outside Japan.
Airport sushi outside Japan? [Shudders]
Old Jan 20, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: BA Silver
Anything changed since the last post?

I have a JL flight back to the US on a Saturday afternoon. If I arrive at NRT via NEX by 15:30 for a 17:25 (2 hours ahead), do I have enough time to go through check-in, security, passport control etc? How much time would I have If I also want to explore the Sakura Lounge?
Old Jan 20, 2017, 9:57 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by sleepro
If I arrive at NRT via NEX by 15:30 for a 17:25 (2 hours ahead), do I have enough time to go through check-in, security, passport control etc?
That's about right. Assuming 30-45 mins to go from railway platform to airside, you might spend 45-60 mins in the lounge before boarding starts.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 11:10 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by sleepro
How much time would I have If I also want to explore the Sakura Lounge?
Will depend on that, how much time would you like to spend at Sakura Lounge? Sakura Lounge has dining area: beef curry, udon noodle, salad, pasta, Chinese dumplings, Japanese white rice, miso soup, Japanese pickled vegetables, etc.

If you are planning dining, leisure drinking, relaxing, maybe even some nap at relaxation area, along with shower before the flight then can easily spend more than 30 minutes at Sakura Lounge, possibly one hour or more if you want to do all what is available at Sakura Lounge,

You should have no problem getting through check-in, security, and departure passport control. If you have enough time or not will depend on how long you are planning to stay at Sakura Lounge.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 1:15 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I probably should have mentioned that I will be traveling with my wife and 2 children (13 and 10), but I don't think it would change the timing of getting into airside dramatically.

Not planning on spending a lot of time at the lounge, just a quick dinner and maybe a shower before boarding. So 30 min at most.

A related question: does JL provide priory lanes for J pax at NRT T2?

Update: I meant "priority lanes" for security and passport control, not for check-in which J pax have their own lanes obviously

Last edited by sleepro; Jan 20, 2017 at 2:01 pm
Old Jan 20, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
I think there is. I have always accessed based on frequent flyer program status but first class and business class passengers should have access also.

Setting at NRT Terminal 2 is that first going through security check, where at security check there are separate entrance/lines for elite/premium class passengers. However, after the security check everybody come out at same location for departure passport control. At departure passport control there is no separate line for elite/premium class passengers.

But do not worry much. Unless it is during one of major holidays in Japan, security lines and passport control for departing passengers are usually short at NRT Terminal 2. Often going through elite/premium class passenger line or going through regular line do not make a lot of difference at all.

Elite/premium passenger line is for all passengers, JL does not have dedicated security entrance for their customers only at NRT Terminal 2.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
I think there is. I have always accessed based on frequent flyer program status but first class and business class passengers should have access also.

Setting at NRT Terminal 2 is that first going through security check, where at security check there are separate entrance/lines for elite/premium class passengers. However, after the security check everybody come out at same location for departure passport control. At departure passport control there is no separate line for elite/premium class passengers.

But do not worry much. Unless it is during one of major holidays in Japan, security lines and passport control for departing passengers are usually short at NRT Terminal 2. Often going through elite/premium class passenger line or going through regular line do not make a lot of difference at all.

Elite/premium passenger line is for all passengers, JL does not have dedicated security entrance for their customers only at NRT Terminal 2.
Got it. Thanks for your help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.