Wiki Posts
Search

[Travel Related Issues and] Problems in Japan

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2014, 12:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG LTPlat ANA Plat
[Travel Related Issues and] Problems in Japan

I have lived in Japan for 12 years and have no problems travelling around, but I wondered if anyone would like to share what they find difficult or annoying about travel to and in Japan.

Please don't include language issues, this can be true anywhere.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 1:20 am

Programs: JMB Diamond,NH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, IHG Royal Ambassador Spire,
the heating on trains/subway in the winter. Always too hot!
Old Jun 25, 2014, 1:28 am
Original Poster

Yes sometime the reverse in summer !
Old Jun 25, 2014, 1:55 am

Programs: JMB Diamond,NH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, IHG Royal Ambassador Spire,
Here's another one….

Taxi drivers. The quality seems to have dropped over the years to the point that I dread taking one in Tokyo apart from to/from Haneda. I prefer public transport.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 2:00 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Moving this thread to the Japan forum. Thanks for your understanding.

Jouy31
TravelBuzz co-moderator
Old Jun 25, 2014, 8:51 am

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Originally Posted by jackrussellterrier
Here's another one….

Taxi drivers. The quality seems to have dropped over the years to the point that I dread taking one in Tokyo apart from to/from Haneda. I prefer public transport.
Care to elaborate a bit? What don't you like about the drivers? I'll be in Tokyo next September, so I'm just curious.

Thanks.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 10:14 am

Programs: UA *G MM
Originally Posted by fozziedoggie
Care to elaborate a bit? What don't you like about the drivers? I'll be in Tokyo next September, so I'm just curious.

Thanks.
I think it's an exaggeration. Compared to the rest of the world they are very good. They may not know their way around so that's why they have GPS. I guess many are new: just moved to Tokyo from the countryside. Also found one that had poor kanji skills so he had a hard time with the GPS. But come on, how many cabbies in the US can read or speak English?
Old Jun 25, 2014, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gnaget
I think it's an exaggeration. Compared to the rest of the world they are very good. They may not know their way around so that's why they have GPS. I guess many are new: just moved to Tokyo from the countryside. Also found one that had poor kanji skills so he had a hard time with the GPS. But come on, how many cabbies in the US can read or speak English?
I think its a mixed bag. On the plus side they are almost 100% honest, don't rip you off and no tips required ( its almost an insult to offer ) you can always get a receipt. However its true that in recent years a lot of out of work people from outside Tokyo have come in and they don't always know where they are going, added to the fact that Tokyo addresses are not always easy to find, getting close is easy, getting to the exact place, not so much.

Always take a business card in Japanese, if possible print off a map, and lastly expect some difficulty and don't expect any driver to speak English.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by BritinJapan
I think its a mixed bag. On the plus side they are almost 100% honest, don't rip you off and no tips required ( its almost an insult to offer ) you can always get a receipt. However its true that in recent years a lot of out of work people from outside Tokyo have come in and they don't always know where they are going, added to the fact that Tokyo addresses are not always easy to find, getting close is easy, getting to the exact place, not so much.

Always take a business card in Japanese, if possible print off a map, and lastly expect some difficulty and don't expect any driver to speak English.
^ exactly what my wife says as well.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jackrussellterrier
^ exactly what my wife says as well.
Then I must be right, I find when I agree with my wife I am always correct
Old Jun 25, 2014, 10:51 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Originally Posted by BritinJapan
Then I must be right, I find when I agree with my wife I am always correct
Happy wife = happy life.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 2:18 am

Train travel in Tokyo can be challenging if you've got little kids in strollers. Elevators can be scarce in many stations (and ones to platform are usually very small), train commuters can be complete aholes when you get on with your baby (most of the time, no one will offer you a seat) and especially stroller (sometimes you might get looks from other riders who are annoyed that your stroller's taking up space). People are so much kinder in Hong Kong and USA in that regard.

There are also many restaurants that don't allow strollers inside, so then you can't take advantage of a napping child to squeeze in a meal in peace.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 6:08 am

Just FYI, until fairly recently, there was an official ban on taking (unfolded) strollers on trains, which explains some of the looks you were getting.

I agree that Japanese cities are tougher than most places with kids, but much of this comes down to space -- restaurants don't ban strollers because they're mean and hate kids, they ban them because there's genuinely no space for them. Those Japanese restaurants that are kid-friendly, on the other hand (eg. Dennys and other "fami-resu"), pull out all the stops to welcome them.

(...and if you think Dennys isn't a Japanese restaurant, you haven't been to one in Japan!)
Old Jun 26, 2014, 9:47 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
Annoying is having to explain to some hotel check in staff that I live in Japan.

If you are a visitor to Japan, hotels are required have a copy your passport.
Residents of Japan are not required to do this, all we have to do is put our address down when checking in (as with all other Japanese).

The last check-in staff asked me in Japanese if I was living in Japan (even though I made the reservation in Japanese and my address was already recorded in Japanese and using a Japanese credit card!, not sure what more one would need!), I said はい and no more questions were asked. Last year in Osaka, the clerk asked me for my passport and again I had to respond that I live in Japan and pointed the check in sheet my address (which was written down in Japanese).

Some hotels still erroneously have policies (usually found on their website) that all non-Japanese must have their passports copied, thankfully though the hotel staff appear to have been trained to only ask to copy passports if the person does not live in Japan. I usually carry a copy of the Japan hotel law with me, thankfully I never had to pull it out.

While annoying, I never had any problems after quickly pointing out that I live in Japan. I have read other stories from other people having issues (particularly at Toyoko-inns), though I have personally never had any issues after pointing out I am a resident.

Last edited by railroadtycoon; Jun 26, 2014 at 9:54 am
Old Jun 26, 2014, 11:44 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by railroadtycoon
I have read other stories from other people having issues (particularly at Toyoko-inns), though I have personally never had any issues after pointing out I am a resident.
Gee. Why am I not surprised?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.