Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Travel Related Issues and] Problems in Japan

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2014, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
So in 59 posts all I've gotten out of this thread is

1. Don't bring a kid in a stroller on the subway/train?
2. Don't bring a (or be a) wheelchair bound person on the subway/train?

I think there were a couple of posts on taxi drivers who use GPS but not much else must be a worry for travelers in Japan other than the above.

Since my two kids are not in strollers (13 & 15) nor are in a wheel chair (and I'm thankful for that), all they have to be prepared for is to fight their way in/out of trains and elevators...

does this sound correct?
No. The biggest challenge is the sweltering heat if you're visiting sometimes during the next 3 months.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 10:01 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Originally Posted by evergrn
No. The biggest challenge is the sweltering heat if you're visiting sometimes during the next 3 months.
If the poster is from Virginia, the weather will be largely identical (possibly slightly less hot, but about as humid).
Old Jul 2, 2014, 10:04 pm
mjm
Original Member

So in 59 posts all I've gotten out of this thread is

1. Don't bring a kid in a stroller on the subway/train?
2. Don't bring a (or be a) wheelchair bound person on the subway/train?

I think there were a couple of posts on taxi drivers who use GPS but not much else must be a worry for travelers in Japan other than the above.

Since my two kids are not in strollers (13 & 15) nor are in a wheel chair (and I'm thankful for that), all they have to be prepared for is to fight their way in/out of trains and elevators...

does this sound correct?
I would say the advice to prepare yourself properly with is might include:

How hard s it to get food that a 15 year old will be willing to try?
How hard is it finding a casual evening restaurant that is more a bout food than alcohol?
What type of things are there to do that will amuse both a parent and a young teenager?

So, no, I do not think that is all you need to be prepared for here.

More info on your itin in a separate thread and we can load up on info and suggestions if you like.

As for the weather, VA has got nothing on the urban sprawl of Tokyo with that level of heat and humidity. Without the car assisted lifestyle in the US, I agree with evergrn it will make you wilt without a doubt
Old Jul 3, 2014, 5:06 am

Programs: FT
Yes and as much as VA is hot in the summer, the only place in japan that you will have the same level of AC as you would at home is in your hotel room. Otherwise, it will be set around 22-23 as per of summer energy conservation measures.

I would just make sure you spend enough time planning for what you will do each day in advance. For example, want to see a baseball game, depending on the team, make sure you get tickets before or make sure you know how to get tickets immediately or arrival.

Same for sumo.

Showing up for stuff without planning in advance in the summer could result in you being out of luck with things being full etc.

If you plan to go to Disneyland or Disney sea, prepare for larger crowds than you have ever seen at WDW if in the summer, especially on weekends, save and except Christmas Day. Just ensure you go on the moan rides when all the Japanese guests are watching parades. They sure love them.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 5:32 am
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by mkjr
Yes and as much as VA is hot in the summer, the only place in japan that you will have the same level of AC as you would at home is in your hotel room. Otherwise, it will be set around 22-23 as per of summer energy conservation measures.
Very good point! But, 26 is pretty much default and 28 is requested by the government of private enterprise now. The office is a, well lets just say challenge, for a few months a year.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 12:35 am

Programs: UA *G MM
I think one key difference with DC vs. Tokyo is that there is more variability in DC. Suddenly you get a nice temperate summer day in DC and then you get extremes of 38 to 40 C. In Tokyo it is 32 to 35 C day after day with possibly slightly higher dewpoint than DC. And I remember some days where it would still be 30C at 3 am.

The worst was the summer of 2011. I remember going into an office building waiting for onrush of cool air but instead being hit by the same if not warmer air.

And then in the winter they crank up the heat to 26C! I guess they missed Carnot's theorem during the global warming brainwashing nonsense. Well, in 2011 it was all about solidarity with Tohoku, so let's turn off the moving walkway at NRT during non-peak power consumption hours.

Anyway, this is quite the reason to own a car in Tokyo.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 7:25 am

Programs: JMB Diamond,NH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, IHG Royal Ambassador Spire,
The worst was the summer of 2011. I remember going into an office building waiting for onrush of cool air but instead being hit by the same if not warmer air.

And then in the winter they crank up the heat to 26C! I guess they missed Carnot's theorem during the global warming brainwashing nonsense. Well, in 2011 it was all about solidarity with Tohoku, so let's turn off the moving walkway at NRT during non-peak power consumption hours.

Anyway, this is quite the reason to own a car in Tokyo.[/QUOTE]

Last summer was pretty hot as well! I live in Singapore but was dripping wet at 0930 every morning this time last year in Tokyo. Although this thread is about problems I must admit I do love the "cool Japan" office attire in the summer now. Japan is now one of the most relaxed places. All my Japanese business partners insist I don't wear a tie these days!

Again being used to Singapore ice cold ac, Japan can sometimes be a challenge for heat both in summer and winter.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 12:35 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
Coincidentally, the new Yamanote Line trains set to go into service in Fall of 2015 are going to have more space for wheelchairs and strollers, plus 28 more priority seats than the current set up *of course this still wont' account for those who ignore the priority seat setup altogether (but that's another story) at least the new setup appear to have it in bright red.

Also, no more hanging advertisements, everything will be digital onboard.

Video in Japanese:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbK-mAZHA6w
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
does this sound correct?
Do not, under any circumstance, including starvation, buy (let alone eat) convenience store oden.

Unless you're reeeeeeally drunk. In which case it's delicious and you should wonder why you don't have it more often. HTH.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:59 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
Do not, under any circumstance, including starvation, buy (let alone eat) convenience store oden. ...
Although I do occasionally purchase food items at konbinis, this is one I can agree with. That stuff just looks nasty. I have, however, had some pretty decent late-night food cart oden.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
Do not, under any circumstance, including starvation, buy (let alone eat) convenience store oden.

Unless you're reeeeeeally drunk. In which case it's delicious and you should wonder why you don't have it more often. HTH.
Any ODEN east of Kyushu Island is rather inedible !
Old Jul 16, 2014, 12:46 am

My wife loves konbini oden.

I hate oden, so I wouldn't touch that stuff. But I've had anpan, nikuman, curryman, pizzaman, chicken karaage, all those heated things next to the register. I've just never been impressed by any of those hot prepared items at konbini.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 1:23 am
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Any ODEN east of Kyushu Island is rather inedible !
Tell that to the good people of Shizuoka!

http://shizuokagourmet.com/oden-a-shizuoka-specialty/
Old Jul 16, 2014, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by armagebedar
Tell that to the good people of Shizuoka!

http://shizuokagourmet.com/oden-a-shizuoka-specialty/
No need, they already know ! This is kind of like comparing a Kyoto style dash-maki, to one prepared in the Kanto style ! Nothing like sweet eggs, not !
Old Jul 16, 2014, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by evergrn
My wife loves konbini oden.

I hate oden, so I wouldn't touch that stuff. But I've had anpan, nikuman, curryman, pizzaman, chicken karaage, all those heated things next to the register. I've just never been impressed by any of those hot prepared items at konbini.
Especially that giant piece of white foam, or that tube with barnacles !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.