Dinner in Shinagawa - suggestions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dinner in Shinagawa - suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2014, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by jib71
you'll struggle to find stores and restaurants with "character" there.
I remember the first time I went to Kaba they gave me an unopened can of sardines as my otoshi.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Another idea is to take a taxi (or maybe a hotel shuttle?) from the Shinagawa station to one of the Prince hotels (the nice medium-sized one with the Japanese garden) which has a very respected and long standing tempura restaurant, including a bunch of very pleasant private dining rooms. It's uphill and not really walking distance IMO but the place is close to the train station. I've been taken to this restaurant by locals several times, although I suspect it's not cheap. They also seem to have a good selection of sake.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Another idea is to take a taxi (or maybe a hotel shuttle?) from the Shinagawa station to one of the Prince hotels (the nice medium-sized one with the Japanese garden) which has a very respected and long standing tempura restaurant, including a bunch of very pleasant private dining rooms. It's uphill and not really walking distance IMO but the place is close to the train station. I've been taken to this restaurant by locals several times, although I suspect it's not cheap. They also seem to have a good selection of sake.
This place?
http://r.gnavi.co.jp/gb26005/lang/en...ign_bnr_pcr_en
Old Jun 24, 2014, 10:30 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, CC Gold
We had a delicious yakitori dinner at this reasonably priced one Michelin star restaurant Yoshicho.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 4:49 pm
Suspended

Where exactly are these izakayas east of the station? Directly east before the river?
Old Sep 4, 2016, 5:05 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by Silent Orange
Where exactly are these izakayas east of the station? Directly east before the river?
I assume Lobsterdog was referring to the jumble of low-rise buildings directly across from the Konan exit of the station. There's nothing glitzy about the area, so it's a contrast to the big, modern, glass and steel, bits of Shinagawa. But even so, I think it's mostly chain shops (of the lower-end variety). Perhaps there's a worthwhile izakaya in that area, but I haven't found anything special there.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 11:43 pm

Yes, that's the area I meant. There's a very atmospheric yokocho close to the east exit, with tiny shops and stray cats in the alleyways and not a chain store to be found. Beyond that there are a few blocks of office buildings and random izakaya.

I certainly don't mind good chain shops, and Kaba (mentioned above) delivers good value for money, and has a nice sake selection from the Tottori and Shimane region, along with fresh seafood flown in daily from that area. I'm not sure there's anything I'd travel across town for, but there's some good food to be had if you're there....
Old Sep 5, 2016, 5:05 am
Suspended

I assume Lobsterdog was referring to the jumble of low-rise buildings directly across from the Konan exit of the station. There's nothing glitzy about the area, so it's a contrast to the big, modern, glass and steel, bits of Shinagawa. But even so, I think it's mostly chain shops (of the lower-end variety). Perhaps there's a worthwhile izakaya in that area, but I haven't found anything special there.
Sorry which exit is the Konan exit?
Old Sep 5, 2016, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by Silent Orange
Sorry which exit is the Konan exit?
Take a look at google maps - At Shinagawa, you'll see the tracks running roughly north to south. The area to the right of the station (i.e. the east side) is called "Konan". (The area on the other side is called "Takanawa"). If you zoom in on the Konan area, you'll see a couple of blocks with restaurant icons. I remain skeptical of Lobster's claim that there are alleyways with nary a chain restaurant to be found. And I think I'd probably prefer a different izakaya to him. But in matters of taste, it's each to his own...
Old Sep 5, 2016, 6:38 am
Suspended

Take a look at google maps - At Shinagawa, you'll see the tracks running roughly north to south. The area to the right of the station (i.e. the east side) is called "Konan". (The area on the other side is called "Takanawa"). If you zoom in on the Konan area, you'll see a couple of blocks with restaurant icons. I remain skeptical of Lobster's claim that there are alleyways with nary a chain restaurant to be found. And I think I'd probably prefer a different izakaya to him. But in matters of taste, it's each to his own...
Ok I see it now.... The area seems to have many izakayas, good enough for me. Thanks!
Old Sep 5, 2016, 7:26 am

I remain skeptical of Lobster's claim that there are alleyways with nary a chain restaurant to be found. And I think I'd probably prefer a different izakaya to him. But in matters of taste, it's each to his own...
It's easy to miss the yokocho, as it doesn't look like much from the main street, but here's a google maps image from the middle of the yokocho. You can even follow the arrows and see what it looks like upstairs!
Old Sep 5, 2016, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by lobsterdog
You can even follow the arrows and see what it looks like upstairs!
Across the alley is the Shinagawa Konan branch of Hakata Kimuraya. Even at a distance of thousands of miles, I can sense the heady aromas of that narrow alley - Cow, steeped in chili and garlic on the grill, mixing with the fatty scents of steamy, sour, offal, and salaryman's sweaty armpit ... Sweet home Shinagawa!

(But yeah - It's not sterile like the glass and steel towers, I'll grant you that).
Old Sep 5, 2016, 10:53 am

Oops, I didn't recognize that chain - I'm impressed by your chain-store knowledge. Anyway, the whole yokocho is very, very atmospheric, and I've heard from a friend that there are a couple of good shops in the middle there somewhere.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by lobsterdog
Oops, I didn't recognize that chain - I'm impressed by your chain-store knowledge.
I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of low budget chain eateries. (Google is my friend). But I did have that feeling about the neighborhood.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 1:39 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Surprised that nobody has mentioned the ramen street yet:
http://www.alifelessnormal.co/2013/1...shinagawa.html

It's on the west side of the station; go out of the Takanawa exit, turn left and walk down Dai-Ichi Keihin for a bit, and you'll see a cluster of ramen shops under the tracks. Quite touristy though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.