Community
Wiki Posts
Search

75min connection in Narita ITL to ITL

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2014, 7:40 am
Original Poster

75min connection in Narita ITL to ITL

I'm looking for flights from Columbus, OH to Jakarta, Indonesia with ANA. On the return flights, there's a 75 minutes layover in Narita. The flight NH836 is scheduled to arrive at 15:55 and the flight to Chicago NH 1012 is scheduled to depart at 17:10. Is this too short or doable?

If I'm not mistaken these flights are in the same terminal but I still have to go through security, correct?

I will be traveling with a 2.5yr toddler so I'm trying to make the travel as easy as possible.

I see the next flight to Chicago is the next morning at 10:45, but I want to avoid an overnight layover.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 8:02 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
For a transfer from International flight with ANA to another international flight with ANA, the minimum connection time is 45 minutes. I think 75 minutes is plenty, even with a youngster in tow. There is a security check, but no customs or immigration checks.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 8:03 am

Programs: QR P; HH D; IHG SpAmb
75mins should be plenty of time to transfer at NRT.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the quick reply. That's a relief.

The last time I had an overnight in Narita (way back in 2005), I just got the visa on arrival at the airport. But from reading here it sounds like they are getting stricter, and for my passport (Indonesia) I'll need to apply for a transit visa in advance for the overnight layover.

If I miss the connecting flight to Chicago and have to stay overnight in Narita (with no transit visa since I'm not planning to stay overnight), will I have issue getting the visa on arrival? My son will not be an issue since he has a US passport.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 9:42 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by alexmom
If I miss the connecting flight to Chicago and have to stay overnight in Narita (with no transit visa since I'm not planning to stay overnight), will I have issue getting the visa on arrival? My son will not be an issue since he has a US passport.
In the event that your flight out of Jakarta is delayed, I suggest you alert the crew that you are concerned about your connection and you will require assistance from ground staff when you reach NRT. ANA ground staff should meet you when you deplane.

1) If ANA has connecting passengers on a delayed incoming flight, they often hold their outgoing flights to ensure that people can make the connection.

2) If you are unlucky and miss the connection to ORD, it may be possible for ANA to put you on a later departure to the US. For example, UA has a flight to SFO at 6:30pm. It's not ideal but you'll reach your final ldestination a little later than planned.

3) In the worst case scenario - i.e. you end up having to make an overnight stay in Japan - I believe the immigration agents have the discretion to issue a shore pass to you. Stay calm and explain what happened and why you need to stay at an airport hotel. If you have a home or a job in the US, I recommend carrying some evidence of that - It may help to convince the immigration agent that you have no intention of over-staying in Japan. I don't know if ANA ground staff can accompany you to the immigration desk, but if you can get them to do that, do so.

I am not an expert on immigration - but I think that the discretion of agents to issue shore passes exists for precisely this scenario. It would surprise me if the agents do not give a shore pass to a mother and child who are stranded because of a flight delay.

Note - If the agent at the desk cannot make a decision, or if you wish to appeal his decision, you may have an interview with a more senior immigration official - usually in a separate room. It's nothing to worry about. I've gone through this myself. Just stay calm and stick to your story. They're surprisingly decent in my experience.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 9:55 am
Original Poster

jib71, thank you so much for your detailed explanation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.