Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

5 or 6 nights in Hokkaido in July -- where to go?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

5 or 6 nights in Hokkaido in July -- where to go?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2014, 5:51 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
I'll be doing something very similar in two weeks in eastern Hokkaido -- I'll be flying into Memanbetsu, then driving around through (hopefully) some of Shiretoko and Akan, Kushiro, and Obihiro. I'll be sure to report back.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
So does anyone have a view as to what is the nicest place to stay in Sapporo?
Old Jul 20, 2014, 11:03 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by armagebedar
I'll be doing something very similar in two weeks in eastern Hokkaido -- I'll be flying into Memanbetsu, then driving around through (hopefully) some of Shiretoko and Akan, Kushiro, and Obihiro. I'll be sure to report back.
If you are a photographer, be sure to walk down to the main bridge in Kushiro for one of the better sunset opportunities on the island. From the bridge, you can shoot straight down the river, through the harbor and out to sea at the setting sun. I have framed prints of that shot hanging on my wall and a couple of others around town.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by jib71
Sadly not. Plenty of foxes, deer, owls, and other woodland creatures but no bears.

We got back from one day of walking and some folks who were staying in the same hotel as us told us they'd seen a bear on the same trail later that day ... The following day, we thought we might see bears on a boat trip up the coastline to see the "wild" end of the peninsula. But no. (The boat trip is probably your best bet, since the boat passes some river outlets where the bears often hang out).

We did, however, see a bear from a distance at Lake Akan, on the same trip. Since a bear had been sighted, the area was closed off. That's the "normal" reaction to bears in Hokkaido, I think. According to one person we spoke to, folks who live around the Shiretoko national park are pretty accustomed to bears - a sighting does not provoke panic as it seems to in other places.

BTW - The other national park that you should look into is Yakushima. It's compact but spectacular. No bears, but lots of monkeys and deer.
That's pretty cool that you got to see an owl. I don't know if I've ever seen an owl in the wild. Seen plenty of wild black bears in N.America... just saw one 2 wks ago. But I've never seen a Jpn bear in the wild, let alone Jpn brown bear (higuma). However, I have encountered situations in Jpn where the area was closed off due to recent bear sightings... much like what you say above. They really go overboard in Jpn, don't they? If they did that in Whistler, the whole resort would shut down for the entire summer.

Yakushima has also intrigued me indeed (I've never been), and I'm sure I'd like it. Would love to go someday but, man, another really far-off place.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 12:02 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The botanical gardens in Sapporo were a few blocks from my hotel so I did go there. Admission also includes a small Ainu museum. I wasn't overwhelmed by any of it.

The Shiretoko wilderness is more a Bear Grylls than a Les Stroud type of wilderness -- it's untamed but not very large so you can face all the dangers of being out in the wilderness and still get easily coptered to a nice hotel for the night. The total size of the area is smaller than the size of the wilderness area in Yosemite Park, I'd say.

I didn't notice anything that I would regard as an absolutely must-see natural attraction.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 12:06 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 5khours
So does anyone have a view as to what is the nicest place to stay in Sapporo?
It's most likely Grand-in-Grand in Sapporo if you are asking about room hardware quality. But at published prices, as I noted in my review, it's a total ripoff.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by evergrn
They really go overboard in Jpn, don't they? If they did that in Whistler, the whole resort would shut down for the entire summer.
Yes they do, but don't forget they aren't like black bears, the Japanese brown bear in Hokkaido is the same species as the grizzly.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
It's most likely Grand-in-Grand in Sapporo if you are asking about room hardware quality. But at published prices, as I noted in my review, it's a total ripoff.
Are there any nice Japanese style ryokan?
Old Jul 21, 2014, 12:34 am

Yes they do, but don't forget they aren't like black bears, the Japanese brown bear in Hokkaido is the same species as the grizzly.
But where I encountered the closure was in Honshu... think it was Gunma. I think Honshu bears are all black bears (eg, tsukinowaguma or half-moon bears).
Old Jul 21, 2014, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by evergrn
But where I encountered the closure was in Honshu... think it was Gunma. I think Honshu bears are all black bears (eg, tsukinowaguma or half-moon bears).
Yeah. Japanese tend to way over-react to bears. A bit like Fukushima IMHO.. but let's not go there.

That said, the Honshu black bears are a bit more aggressive than their American cousins, and the reduction in hunting has made them much less cautious around humans.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 8:05 pm

Are there any nice Japanese style ryokan?
Yes, but usually not in the city proper. You're better off going to Jozankei Onsen or Otaru. I posted a few in the Luxury Hotels forum here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...-hokkaido.html
Old Jul 21, 2014, 11:47 pm

Yes, but usually not in the city proper. You're better off going to Jozankei Onsen or Otaru. I posted a few in the Luxury Hotels forum here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...-hokkaido.html
I was wondering about central Sapporo. Any suggestions?
Old Jul 22, 2014, 6:13 pm

To be honest, I know of none, and couldn't find any decent ones after a quick search. Unlike Kyoto or Tokyo, you'll need to leave the urban center to find a proper ryokan in central Hokkaido.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:43 pm

To be honest, I know of none, and couldn't find any decent ones after a quick search. Unlike Kyoto or Tokyo, you'll need to leave the urban center to find a proper ryokan in central Hokkaido.
tks. kind of figured as much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.