Wiki Posts
Search

Getting reservations for great sushi in advance

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2013, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US GP, *G, HHonors Gold, SPG
Getting reservations for great sushi in advance

My girlfriend and I will be in Tokyo from Dec 31-January 3 and are looking to visit a top notch sushi place (willing to spend about $150-200pp, though if we can get away with a bit less that is fine too). We could care less about Micheline stars or how famous the place is, and we are perfectly comfortable being the only Westerners at the restaurant. It is my understanding that reservations are recommended well in advance, so I am wondering what folks think is the best way of getting reservations for a top notch sushi place. We are staying at the Hilton, so I'm wondering if going through the concierge ahead of time is the best option (email perhaps? Phone call?). We unfortunately don't really know anyone too well in Japan who could help us out directly.

Does anyone have firsthand experience doing this? Also, any specific recommendations for a great sushi experience?

Last edited by arrek; Nov 19, 2013 at 7:28 pm
Old Nov 19, 2013, 7:24 pm

Programs: Delta
Don't be surprised if many shops are closed during that period for new year holiday.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Maybe need to ask what you mean by “a top notch sushi place.” If you are looking for a nice sushi restaurants in Tokyo then US$150-200/pp is doable. However, if you are looking for one of the best sushi restaurants in Tokyo then $200/pp may not do.

Also, as nishimark mentioned Dec. 31 – Jan. 3 are New Year’s holiday in Japan. Many top sushi restaurants in Tokyo will be closed on Jan. 1 – Jan. 3 because fish market is closed during that period. If you are looking for nice sushi restaurants (not the top restaurants) then you will find some sushi restaurants open during New Year’s holiday period.

Top restaurants will be likely to be open on Dec. 31, although it will be busy and hard to get reservations on Dec. 31.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 8:27 pm

Your best bet might be to look for sushi counters located inside hotels. For example Kyubei has well-regarded branches in the Keioh Plaza, New Otani and Okura hotels. Remember though that you won't really be getting a top-notch sushi experience when the fish market is closed.

Last edited by lobsterdog; Nov 20, 2013 at 7:39 am
Old Nov 19, 2013, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US GP, *G, HHonors Gold, SPG
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Maybe need to ask what you mean by “a top notch sushi place.” If you are looking for a nice sushi restaurants in Tokyo then US$150-200/pp is doable. However, if you are looking for one of the best sushi restaurants in Tokyo then $200/pp may not do.

Also, as nishimark mentioned Dec. 31 – Jan. 3 are New Year’s holiday in Japan. Many top sushi restaurants in Tokyo will be closed on Jan. 1 – Jan. 3 because fish market is closed during that period. If you are looking for nice sushi restaurants (not the top restaurants) then you will find some sushi restaurants open during New Year’s holiday period.

Top restaurants will be likely to be open on Dec. 31, although it will be busy and hard to get reservations on Dec. 31.

$150-200 is our price range, for better or worse. Was under the impression that was the rough cost for the best sushi spots, but overall simply looking to get the best we can in that range.

Recognize the issue of closings over New Years, but this is unfortunately the best opportunity for us to visit as work schedules and vacations are very inflexible. Happy to have any suggestions for what will be open then.

My initial question remains though, which is what is the best way to go about reservations?

Should mention we are arriving in NRT from VIE at 10am flying in J if that helps at all on meal schedules on the 31st.

Last edited by arrek; Nov 19, 2013 at 9:12 pm
Old Nov 19, 2013, 8:36 pm

A telephone call to your concierge, followed up by email, would be my suggestion. You could also try calling hotel sushi restaurants directly - if they're located in a hotel they should have someone who speaks English.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
I highly recommend Sushi Takumi. The chef's name is Okabe. It is near Meguro Station in Tokyo (about a 15 min walk from the Sheraton Miyako Hotel in Tokyo). The tel is 03-5420-0141. You should make a ressie if you decide to go. I'm sure if you call/email the concierge at the Hilton they can make a ressie for you.

It cost me $175 US for the omakase - including much sake. I loved it so much, I went 2x. It was a wonderful experience and you won't be disappointed. Okabesan doesn't speak English and you will be the only Westerner there. It's small, quiet and intimate. But Okabesan knows his fish. And serves it all room temp (that's right - not like Americanized sushi at all). Real, traditional and yummy in your tummy. That's why the good places require ressies - the fish is fresh daily and they only get enough to serve that eve. Since they don't refrigerate it - it won't last til the next day.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 9:03 pm

TravelinSperry, did you miss the part about the fish market being closed on all the days that the OP will be in Tokyo?
Old Nov 19, 2013, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Ahhh, I guess I did. I assumed he'd hit it before it closed... http://www.tsukiji-market.or.jp/etc/calendar/2013.html

Well, if you ever go back or get there a day early... enjoy some sushi.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
That joint is actually in Shirokanedai, 300 m from the metro. It seems the guy used to work in Ginza, which explains the elevated price without being in the major leagues.

http://tabelog.com/tokyo/A1316/A131602/13042968/

The OP's comment "don't care about Michelin or the name". That is precisely what you are paying for when you go to the expensive sushi restaurants. I think it is debatable whether it is worth it, leaning toward not.

Nevertheless, this place might interest you. Usually newcomers to Michelin are pretty good and this one jumped straight to 2*. Maybe the price has gone up too? The new guide should be out shortly. 2014 Kansai is already uploaded.

http://gm.gnavi.co.jp/shop/0120130108/

Masuda-san does not believe in fresh fish for sushi so you might want to check out his place. See other thread.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 6:56 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
I did look up little and it will be difficult task. New Year’s Holiday (which is Dec. 31 – Jan. 3 in Japan) are traditionally time where all businesses are closed. Although more businesses do open during New Year’s Holiday these days, the fact of sushi restaurants is that the Tokyo Fish Market is closed during New Year’s Holiday.

I agree with lobersterdog’s suggestion. Contact concierge at Hilton you are staying and ask for recommendation. Likely choices will be limited.

Add little information. You mentioned that you are staying at Hilton which I am assuming Hilton Tokyo at Shinjuku. According to Hilton Tokyo’s website, Japanese restaurant “Musashino” at Hilton Tokyo will be open coming Jan. 1 – Jan. 3. Menu will be slightly different on Jan. 1 – Jan. 3 and there will be two sushi set menu during that period, JPY 10000/pp and JPY 13000/pp. Restaurants at Hilton Tokyo is fairly nice, sure it is not the best in Tokyo, but I do think it is a good option to consider.

Alright, I did little more research. Sushi restaurant Kyubey lobsterdog mentioned has a location at Hotel Okura, Hotel New Otani, Imperial Hotel, and Keio Plaza Hotel (at Shinjuku walking distance from Hilton Tokyo). Looks like Kyubey at these hotel locations will be open on Jan. 1 – Jan. 3. Kyubey’s flagship restaurant at Ginza is closed on holidays, but hotel locations are open. I think Kyubey is another good option. The price at hotel locations are listed as JPY 6090/pp to JPY 10500/pp.

Last edited by AlwaysAisle; Nov 20, 2013 at 7:48 am Reason: Keep adding more into...
Old Nov 20, 2013, 10:22 am

Programs: UA *G MM
I think someone here said that the Keio Plaza Kyubei is their favorite. That's a big name place.

The 31st is not a public holiday but many businesses are closed. The city is completely dead on the 31st. It's worse than the 25th in Scandinavia. It's a really bad time to be in Japan!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.