Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sushi Yasuda?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2013, 8:44 am
KPT

Programs: JAL Sapphire
This is the reality of doing business where your clientele expect something completely different, due to cultural influences or what have you. There's a comparison in your own backyard - 中華料理. Thankfully the number of changes are a bit more subdued, but there's very specific expectations for Japanese-Chinese food.

Originally Posted by gnaget
I am rather shocked that this guy gets accolades in NYC.

But I guess the yardstick/ competition is so weak in the US.

Last edited by KPT; Nov 11, 2013 at 9:03 am
Old Sep 8, 2014, 10:17 am

Programs: AA Nothing, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
If you really beleive that...

The owner moved back to Japan from New York City in 2011. Restaurant at Minami-aoyama is two years old or less. It is not old establishment but not totally new. The restaurant review sites in Japanese (reviewed by Japanese) have very few reviews about this restaurant. But one common comments are that there were foreign people (non-Japanese) at the restaurant. Looks like people who knew the owner from back in New York City come to this restaurant.

One of the review site averaged three out of five. Seems like the food is not bad, but the owner looks like making exact copy of New York City restaurant. For example, ウニ (Uni, sea urchin) served at this restaurant has two type: one from East Coast U.S. (Maine coast) another from West Coast U.S. (California coast). No local Japanese uni is served. The owner seems to be using exactly same ingredients as New York City restaurant. Maybe the owner does not know anything else, since he was trained in New York City?

I think people who reviewed the restaurant is saying that the food is not bad at all, but no local Japanese ingredients? In Tokyo and no uni from Japan, but from the U.S.? If the owner gets ingredients from outside of Japan, then likely those are frozen, not fresh from local market. It is like in Texas at steak restaurant, but having beef from Australia because American owner was trained as a chef in Australia?

The review seems to agree with one point, the restaurant is good. But it is like having nice New York City restaurant sushi at Tokyo. If that is what you are looking for, then I think this restaurant is for you.
Went the other week and had a pretty incredible meal. He had 4 different kinds of Uni when I was there - some from Japan. I had all 4 and it was some of the best Uni I've had while in Japan. Japanese get their fish from all over - your "fresh" tuna was probably caught overseas somewhere and frozen on the boat (I mean just walking around Tsukiji you see men carving frozen tuna everywhere). Besides some fish should be aged for a few days before serving anyhow - people with age fish just like you dry age steak.

He also had a lot of fish from all over Japan including Japanese Yellow tail (which he explained that Hamachi is considered a crappy fish in Japan - I never knew! I think what we had was Buri) and all kinds of other things. I wish I wrote all of them down but the stuff was coming out so fast.

Also one of my other favorites with the Hiroshima Oyster sashmi - not quite oyster season yet but they were tasty none the less.

My write-up: http://www.zenlikeben.com/2014/08/ya...the-iron-fist/

My comparison was Daiwa-Zushi. I liked both equally - the quality of the "main" things you get back home (toro etc) at Daiwa but the uniqueness of what we got at Yasuda. Lots of things I'll never be able to find back home. The strong part too with Yasuda is his English ability and personality. He'll explain everything that he's serving and why. He's a really nice guy.

Last edited by GoodOmens; Sep 8, 2014 at 10:23 am
Old Sep 8, 2014, 10:39 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by GoodOmens
Went the other week and had a pretty incredible meal. He had 4 different kinds of Uni when I was there - some from Japan. I had all 4 and it was some of the best Uni I've had while in Japan.

He also had a lot of fish from all over Japan including Japanese Yellow tail (which he explained that Hamachi is considered a crappy fish in Japan - I never knew! I think what we had was Buri) and all kinds of other things. I wish I wrote all of them down but the stuff was coming out so fast.

Also one of my other favorites with the Hiroshima Oyster sashmi - not quite oyster season yet but they were tasty none the less.

My comparison was Daiwa-Zushi. I liked both equally - the quality of the "main" things you get back home (toro etc) at Daiwa but the uniqueness of what we got at Yasuda. Lots of things I'll never be able to find back home. The strong part too with Yasuda is his English ability and personality. He'll explain everything that he's serving and why. He's a really nice guy.
yup. i could not agree more.

i was there back in june.

i did not bother posting to respond since there seems to be so many people who like to refer to themselves as foodies and shoot down others views - especially on this topic...and I had that F term.

in fact, Yasuda was pretty clear that he actually caters to foreigners. was also very accommodating with our 7 year old. she had probably some of the best rolls every there.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
You are factually incorrect about the tuna. I also recall that the tuna at Yasuda was poor. He probably serves frozen Mediterranean honmaguro like you can find at the supermarket. Here is an excellent review of tuna in Japan:
http://tokyostation-yukari.blogspot....-tuna-101.html
Thus, the stuff that you want to eat is wild, fresh honmaguro fished off Aomori or Hokkaido. I am not sure, but I think the honmaguro you get in Zanmai most of the year is fresh farmed from Kyushu. It's usually very good and great value for money. The frozen stuff from Malta (that's what it usually said on the label) that you get at the supermarket (for sashimi) is not cheap.

If you go to Zanmai honten (in Tsukiji) after New Year's then you will get the prime New Year's selection that they buy at the first auction of the year. In 2012 and 2013 they paid $1+ million for these fish so it was quite a loss leader. I don't think even our war criminal friend Jiro could make a profit with this.

Hamachi and Buri are the same fish..... The former name is typically used in Kansai for young yellowtail. I think they refer to anything but young yellowtail (Inada) as Buri in Kanto. I also read somewhere that some people in Japan refer to farmed yellowtail as Hamachi. But I have never seen this word used anywhere in Kanto. On the other hand in the West it is used for yellowtail. This is not the season for Buri. It's really good in winter where it is known as Kan-Buri.

The only fish that has to be eaten within hours of being fished are mackerel type fish. And that is why they are rarely served raw.

Went the other week and had a pretty incredible meal. He had 4 different kinds of Uni when I was there - some from Japan. I had all 4 and it was some of the best Uni I've had while in Japan. Japanese get their fish from all over - your "fresh" tuna was probably caught overseas somewhere and frozen on the boat (I mean just walking around Tsukiji you see men carving frozen tuna everywhere). Besides some fish should be aged for a few days before serving anyhow - people with age fish just like you dry age steak.

Old Sep 8, 2014, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
If Daiwa was your point of comparison, then I could see why you think Yasuda is that good. Daiwa is not great sushi, it's probably borderline "good" by Tokyo standards.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 6:10 am

Programs: A3,BA
Originally Posted by gnaget
You are factually incorrect about the tuna. I also recall that the tuna at Yasuda was poor. He probably serves frozen Mediterranean honmaguro like you can find at the supermarket.
In a Greek tv show he said that his bluefin tuna (some? all? sometimes? ) was from Greece. So your statement seems correct.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.