New HND access by JR East projected

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2013, 12:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM

Asahi newspaper Japanese edition reported JR East is projecting a new line to HND from central Tokyo. It says JRE already has tracks except for last few miles to the airport.

There has been another project by Tobu-Toei-Keikyu team.

We may see NEX and Skyliner at HND in 2020, the olympic year.

http://www.asahi.com/articles/TKY201...f=com_top6_2nd

Please don't call it HEX.

Last edited by O Sora; Nov 10, 2013 at 9:20 am Reason: Typo and ayb
Old Nov 9, 2013, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by O Sora
Please don't call it HEX.
Don't worry, the acronym has already been bagged by Londoners:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heathrow_Express
Old Nov 9, 2013, 10:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Wirelessly posted (Xperia Z: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.2.2; C6603 Build/10.3.1.A.2.67) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/30.0.1599.92 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Why JR bothered to buy Tokyo monorail few years back???
Old Nov 9, 2013, 11:34 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Will be interesting to see what new connections/lines are added ahead of the Olympics. When I was there I just took the monorail from the first station right to the airport (HND), with no stops on the way. Worked well for me, but then not everyone stays in the Shiba/Daimon area.

This will also be a great place to stay during the Olympics with a different monorail heading to Odaiba from the same area.

P.S. Hope thry change the misleading signs about Haneda, which label the different terminals as "International airlines" and "Domestic airlines" when in fact this should read International/Domestic destinations.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 9:02 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
This new Tokyo station and Haneda Airport connector idea by JR East make use of unused freight track which runs from near Tamachi station to near north of Haneda Airport. However, JR East even admitting at this moment that most difficult part is extending this unused track into Haneda Airport. Due to the nature of an airport, it will be difficult to construct a train station above the ground at Haneda Airport. There are already underground stations at Haneda Airport for Tokyo Monorail and Keikyu Line. New underground station has to be far deeper underground. At this moment JR East is saying that even if all those are resolved and new Tokyo station and Haneda Airport connector get go ahead, it will be still difficult task to complete the construction prior to 2020 Olympics.

Another part is that this time around Tokyo Olympics organization and government organization working along are reluctant to spend a lot of money. Back in 1996 President of International Olympics Committee criticized excess corporate sponsorship on the Olympics. In 2009 Tokyo had a bid to host 2016 Olympics but lost out on Rio de Janeiro. Least Olympics committee in Japan thinks that reason for losing the bid back in 2009 is that they did not learn the lesson of 1996 Atlanta Olympics, and Olympics committee in Japan proposed ravish spending for 2016 Olympics. Least Olympics committee in Japan believes that was one of major reasons they lost the bid for 2016 Olympics.

Olympics committee in Japan turn around and for 2020 Olympics bit, they proposed far less spending utilizing a lot of existing facilities. This year Tokyo won the bid to host Olympics in 2020. With that background, compare with last time Tokyo hosted Olympics in 1964, this time Japan does not want to overspend in Olympics. Also, there is criticism that there still are hardly any rebuilding done by the government after Tohoku earthquake but spending a lot of money for 2020 Olympics.

Last edited by AlwaysAisle; Nov 11, 2013 at 3:18 pm Reason: Correction from Machida (町田) to Tamachi (田町), thank you O Sora.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
Originally Posted by ChrisLi
I think it is because they didn't know the government would publish new expansion plans for HND operation.

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
unused freight track which runs from near Machida station to near north of Haneda Airport.
Thanks, AlwaysAisle for detailed explanations. I noticed Machida should be Tamachi. 町田 and 田町 are confusing. Tamachi is near Tokyo Tower in Minato Ku while Machida is about 1/3 point from Shinjuku to Hakone.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Yes, thank you, it is 田町! Tamachi, Tamachi! Sorry about that. However, I am sure residents of 町田 would not mind having a direct train service to Haneda Airport.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 12:07 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by ChrisLi
Wirelessly posted (Xperia Z: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.2.2; C6603 Build/10.3.1.A.2.67) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/30.0.1599.92 Mobile Safari/537.36)

From what I have read, the only way to keep the monorail competitive with Keikyu was to improve its connections with JR at Hamamatsucho by renovating the station and making transfers to/from JR easier, so at the end of the day it made the most sense for Hitachi to simply sell most of the monorail operation to JR and let them figure it out. JR was also considering running the monorail to Tokyo Station over the JR tracks but eventually threw that plan out (we discussed this in another thread recently).
Old Nov 11, 2013, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Yes, thank you, it is 田町! Tamachi, Tamachi! Sorry about that. However, I am sure residents of 町田 would not mind having a direct train service to Haneda Airport.
We are seeing a lot of the kanji, "田" here. Actually Haneda is 羽田 and Narita is 成田. Aren't the readers wondering what "田" means?

The answer is

Got the idea? Rice field was everywhere in Japan.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by O Sora
The answer is
Tada!

田田
Old Jan 17, 2014, 1:02 am
Original Poster

This new line may be connected directly to Northern Kanto Cities

JR East is considering direct operations between HND and northern Kanto cities.

Utsunomiya and Takasaki -Omiya-Ueno-Tokyo-Haneda Airport

This would enable convenient access from HND to
Train Museum
Nikko
Shinkansen (At Tokyo station, the platforms are, thankfully, next to each other!)
etc...

にほんご
http://www.sankeibiz.jp/business/new...0503005-n1.htm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.