Wiki Posts
Search

Onsen near tyo

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2013, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
Onsen near tyo

I am looking for ideas for a day trip or an overnight where there is decent hiking and a few good onsens. Anything a couple of hours by bullet train would work.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 12:24 am
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Originally Posted by yul36
I am looking for ideas for a day trip or an overnight where there is decent hiking and a few good onsens. Anything a couple of hours by bullet train would work.
"A couple of hours by bullet train" could put you as far north as Aomori or as far west as Okayama. You might want to do a bit of research on your own first. Might I suggest staying relatively close and visiting Hakone?
Old Jun 10, 2013, 9:23 pm

Based on the criteria of 1).high-quality onsen; 2).2 hours or less from Tokyo; 3).Easily accessible by train; 3).Good hiking, I recommend the following:

1. Hakone - Hakone's gateway (Hakone Yumoto) is 90min by express train from Shinjuku, although the best onsens are another 30-45min further on in Sengokuhara, Miyanoshita and other areas deeper in.

2. Echigo Yuzawa - 60-90min by bullet train from Tokyo, with all the onsen hotels concentrated near the station.

If hiking is not a requisite, then places like Atami, Yugawara and Izu peninsula (Ito) have very good onsens.

There are many other onsens in the Kanto region, but most are mediocre in my opinion. There are places within Chiba prefecture not far from NRT, but those are all poor man's onsens. Kinugawa is another onsen resort easily accessible by train from Tokyo, but their onsens pale in comparison to places like Hakone.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
Originally Posted by evergrn
Based on the criteria of 1).high-quality onsen; 2).2 hours or less from Tokyo; 3).Easily accessible by train; 3).Good hiking, I recommend the following:

1. Hakone - Hakone's gateway (Hakone Yumoto) is 90min by express train from Shinjuku, although the best onsens are another 30-45min further on in Sengokuhara, Miyanoshita and other areas deeper in.

2. Echigo Yuzawa - 60-90min by bullet train from Tokyo, with all the onsen hotels concentrated near the station.

If hiking is not a requisite, then places like Atami, Yugawara and Izu peninsula (Ito) have very good onsens.

There are many other onsens in the Kanto region, but most are mediocre in my opinion. There are places within Chiba prefecture not far from NRT, but those are all poor man's onsens. Kinugawa is another onsen resort easily accessible by train from Tokyo, but their onsens pale in comparison to places like Hakone.
Thank you.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 10:31 pm

Kusatsu is a few hours away by bus. It might also be an option for you.
http://kusatsuonsen-international.jp/en/access/

There's a larger onsen complex compromised of two hotels run by the Dormy Inn Hotespa group. I believe it was built around 2010 which makes it relatively new.
Tokinoniwa is the deluxe side with private open air baths in room and Kaiseki dinner
http://www.hotespa.net/hotels/tokinoniwa/
Konoha is the mid-range side which has a buffet. Rooms lack a shower/tub (has sink and washlet/toilet).
http://www.hotespa.net/hotels/konoha/
They share their bath houses and there are three outdoor private/family baths you can use.
http://www.hotespa.net/hotels/kusatsu/hotspring/

Here's a hike near Kusatsu. The website has hikes for various regions of Japan.
http://japanhike.wordpress.com/2008/...ustasushirane/

Last edited by freecia; Jun 13, 2013 at 10:41 pm
Old Jun 21, 2013, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

You could even do Nagano and Kariuzawa ryokans as well.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:45 am

Programs: UA- Pl (2MM), AA-Go, Delta-Silver, Hyatt-Globalist!, MR/SPG comb - Plat, Hilton - nada
bump to this thread...I'm looking for the same as OP - with one addition. Anyplace likely to see snow in early/mid-Dec? Or will we have to go to Hokkaido?

Taking my gf from Malaysia to Tokyo in Dec...she's never seen snow :-)
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by rwm818
bump to this thread...I'm looking for the same as OP - with one addition. Anyplace likely to see snow in early/mid-Dec? Or will we have to go to Hokkaido?

If you're looking for an onsen town that's easily accessible by train from Tokyo with good chances of snow, Echigo Yuzawa is it. ~90min by bullet train which takes you straight into town. I think there's a good chance of anywhere from little to lots of snow piled up in mid-Dec. But it's also possible that there's no snow on the ground in town in early/mid-Dec.

You may further solidify your chances of seeing lots of snow at places like Manza. However, that would require train + bus and would certainly require an overnight stay.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was hesitant to recommend Echigo Yuzawa. Biggest problem is that the ski slopes may not be open - the season began December 21st in 2013.

I went with my very young daughter to Gala Yuzawa earlier this year, there was snow up in the higher areas (a lot of it artificial snow to supplement the real stuff on the peaks) but none in the town.
Whilst it doesn't fit the romantic secluded rotemburo ideal, there is an outdoor jacuzzi at the Gala resort's swimming pools. Water is hot and costumes are mandatory which means you can look out at the mountains together as a couple. The ski resort has a sento also, but this is indoors with no views (certainly on the women's side) From the swimming pool complex it's a short cable car ride to the ski slopes and some actual snow. At least, that's when they are open.

Thanks to the discounts available to those with JR East passes
http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/gala/
it was a very cost effective way of enjoying the snow and a hot tub experience with snowy peaks and cherry blossom views (we had a great time in the sento also). Not sure how many other options there are for mixed outdoor bathing.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by LapLap
there was snow up in the higher areas (a lot of it artificial snow to supplement the real stuff on the peaks) but none in the town.
That's possible. It also depends on what part of the winter/spring you go. The last 2 or 3 times I went, the whole place (including the town) was snowy winter wonderland. That was around New Year's and Xmas time. But I've also been there when there was snow higher up in the mountain but none in town. Early/mid-Dec can be iffy.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 6:26 am

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
Originally Posted by rwm818

I am recalling a thread with jpatokal's awesome trip report.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan...ape-tokyo.html
Old Oct 30, 2014, 8:32 am

Programs: UA- Pl (2MM), AA-Go, Delta-Silver, Hyatt-Globalist!, MR/SPG comb - Plat, Hilton - nada
Originally Posted by O Sora
I am recalling a thread with jpatokal's awesome trip report.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan...ape-tokyo.html
thanks to all...I always thought the snow monkeys were in Hokkaido...never realized they are near Nagano. So based on reading threads here I'm trying to book the Korakukan onsen right outside the park! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.