Originally Posted by pdxkankuu
Define "Kobe beef". They do have wagyu beef on the menu you linked:
和牛ロース 1,100円 (wagyu roast)
和牛カルビ 1,200円 (wagyu kalbi)
和牛角切カルビ 1,100円 (wagyu cubed kalbi)
和牛大判カルビ 1,000円 (wagyu large kalbi)

As well as a more expensive "special" roast:
特選上ロース 2,200円

None of that is especially cheap, considering the small portions typical of yakiniku. And the marbling looks decent in the photos.
galbi meat is okay but I think he should go for the ANA Matsuzaka meat. If there's only one chance in my life then I want a nice cut of Japanese beef and not the Korean restaurant rib meat.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Maybe you're right, but the real deal at a place like Kamon works out to be about 10 times as costly, so it's hard to believe this is the true Japanese beef luxury experience based on judging by price alone.
"Kobe beef dinner" is not the same as "luxury dinner". A "luxury dinner" is not just about eating good food. If it's really 10x as costly ($300-$500+/person), you're paying for "luxury", not just good beef.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine
galbi meat is okay but I think he should go for the ANA Matsuzaka meat. If there's only one chance in my life then I want a nice cut of Japanese beef and not the Korean restaurant rib meat.
What? Kalbi is a cut, not a meat. Matsuzaka is a type of meat, not a cut.

Search 松坂牛カルビ to see what matsuzaka kalbi looks like.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 1:10 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Define "Kobe beef". They do have wagyu beef on the menu you linked:
Kobe beef is not the same as wagyu.

和牛ロース 1,100円 (wagyu roast)
和牛カルビ 1,200円 (wagyu kalbi)
和牛角切カルビ 1,100円 (wagyu cubed kalbi)
和牛大判カルビ 1,000円 (wagyu large kalbi)

As well as a more expensive "special" roast:
特選上ロース 2,200円

None of that is especially cheap, considering the small portions typical of yakiniku. And the marbling looks decent in the photos.
As far as beef in Japanese restaurants goes these prices are quite cheap.

BTW ロース is not roast. ロース in Japanese means cuts of meat (usually beef) including chuck, rib and loin.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Kobe beef is not the same as wagyu.
Squares and rectangles, yo. It was a half-rhetorical question.

As far as beef in Japanese restaurants goes these prices are quite cheap.
Can you link me to some higher priced restaurants? I've not been to any myself, so I'm really curious to see what the price difference is like. Especially in Kansai, so I have a better likelihood of visiting. =D

BTW ロース is not roast. ロース in Japanese means cuts of meat (usually beef) including chuck, rib and loin.
I think what you meant to say was ロース is not ロースト. But ロース does come from the english word "roast". Because semantics? Next time I just won't bother writing in romaji for the folks who can't read japanese.

(p.s., I have, in fact, had Kobe beef, in Kobe. Just as a quick aside.)

Last edited by pdxkankuu; Aug 28, 2015 at 2:52 pm Reason: post script
Old Aug 28, 2015, 11:21 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Kobe beef dinner" is not the same as "luxury dinner". A "luxury dinner" is not just about eating good food. If it's really 10x as costly ($300-$500+/person), you're paying for "luxury", not just good beef.
You cited dishes at Y1,200 - 2,200 or so -- 10 times that is not $300-500.

What the Japanese call Korean BBQ is enjoyable and tasty. It is also nothing at all what you will experience and taste in a true wagyu teppanayaki steak house.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 1:38 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Can you link me to some higher priced restaurants? I've not been to any myself, so I'm really curious to see what the price difference is like. Especially in Kansai, so I have a better likelihood of visiting. =D
A random Google search has found this:

KOBE BEEF STEAK ISHIDA HONTEN

Specially Selected Kobe Beef Loin
130g 7,800
150g 9,000
180g 10,800
(tax excluded)

Specially Selected Kobe Beef Fillet
130g 9,990
150g 11,520
180g 13,820
(tax excluded)

Highest Quality Kobe Beef Loin
130g 5,460
150g 6,300
180g 7,560
(tax excluded)

Highest Quality Kobe Beef Fillet
130g 6,440
150g 7,430
180g 8,830
(tax excluded)

I have no experience of this establishment. Simply quoting what I found on the web. These prices seem to be out of date, since the prices on their Japanese website are considerably higher, e.g. 130g Specially Selected Kobe Beef Loin is priced at 9,750 yen rather than 7,800 yen.

I think what you meant to say was ロース is not ロースト. But ロース does come from the english word "roast".
You wrote "和牛ロース 1,100円 (wagyu roast)".
Old Aug 29, 2015, 5:06 am
Original Member

Programs: AA-EXP (15yrs) 3+MM , exDLPlt, exCOPlt, Cruiseaholic (250+)
Cool Another place to try out.....

Based on the pictures, this place is a lot like Gyu-kaka on Lewers across from the Moose's place in Honolulu. Yeah, Wolfgang's has a great steak, but a late night (1/2 price no less) snack of their premium cuts there was always enjoyable. The nice part is that you get to cook the meat exactly the way you want it.

After many years on FT, I take JDiver advice without question. He has a cache of goodies, and if he says it is good, I'll play lemming. Will try it out on Thursday and let you know what it is like when I return.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 9:10 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
和牛 (Wagyu): Japanese beef. Any beef came from cows grown in Japan is wagyu. This is the way the term “Wagyu” is used in Japan. Quality of wagyu can be from all the way to the bottom to the top notch. There are more than few wagyu which is considered superior than Kobe-ushi.

神戸牛 (Kobe-ushi): Kobe beef, there is an organization of Kobe beef grower and the organization has certification system. The organization clams that only those beef certified by the organization can be called Kobe-ushi. Within Japan this organization go after aggressively to places which use the term “Kobe-ushi” to beef which is not certified by this organization.

“Kobe Beef,” “Kobe Meat,’ Kobe-gyu,” “Tajima Beef,” and “Tajima-gyu” are all registered trade mark in Japan.

Kobe beef organization is trying to obtain registered trade mark outside of Japan. In the U.S., the organization has obtained registered trade mark on “Kobe Meat” and "Tajima-gyu" on August 2014. The organization also obtained registered trade mark in EU and many Southeast Asia countries.

Definition of Kobe-ushi by this organization:

1)
Tajima cow. First, Kobe-ushi has to be Tajima cow which is grown in Tajima region of Hyougo prefecture. For beginner, Kobe Beef refers to Tajima cow in Hyougo prefecture, not Kobe city.

2)
BMS (marbling index) of no. 6 or higher.

3)
Meat with score of A or B by Japanese system of beef ranking.

4)
Gross carcass weight of 470 kg or less

5)
Fine meat texture and excellent firmness define by the Kobe Beef organization.

To OP, there is no restaurants in Narita area with the certification from the Kobe Beef organization.

Last edited by AlwaysAisle; Aug 29, 2015 at 10:09 am
Old Aug 30, 2015, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
You cited dishes at Y1,200 - 2,200 or so -- 10 times that is not $300-500.
Those were not "dishes". Those were individual items. Unless you just want an appetizer, one of those alone is not a meal. You would need at least a few of them. So you're looking at anywhere from $30-$50 for an actual full meal. 10x that is, in fact, $300-$500.

What the Japanese call Korean BBQ is enjoyable and tasty. It is also nothing at all what you will experience and taste in a true wagyu teppanayaki steak house.
The japanese don't call anything Korean BBQ, as a general rule. Do you mean yakiniku? I suppose some people prefer the taste of a flat steel grill over charcoal, but...
Old Aug 30, 2015, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
A random Google search has found this:
(snip)
I have no experience of this establishment. Simply quoting what I found on the web. These prices seem to be out of date, since the prices on their Japanese website are considerably higher, e.g. 130g Specially Selected Kobe Beef Loin is priced at 9,750 yen rather than 7,800 yen.
Personal experience would be nice, but I'll take a look. I'll be in that area in October, as it turns out. Thanks =)

You wrote "和牛ロース 1,100円 (wagyu roast)".
Yeah. I was quoting the menu. Did you have a question?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.