Wiki Posts
Search

Japan relegated to sub-sub-sub-forum now

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2012, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Japan relegated to sub-sub-sub-forum now

Noticed a couple of days ago that the Japan forum is now one level deeper in the site:

Previously: Travel & Dining > Japan
Now: Travel & Dining > Asia > Japan

("Asia is the favorite destination of Flyertalkers ... ")

Texas and Cuba appear one level below Travel & Dining. But not Japan or China etc. Why is that, then? I must have missed the memo.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
+1. What up with that?
Old Mar 24, 2012, 4:10 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Yeah, I noticed. No warning, either. It would have been nice to get a little notice.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
+1 for bringing this to our attention.
-999 to the person who relegated this forum to the same level as Myanmar.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 4:28 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Yeah, I don't really know what the logic is behind this, but it's not just the Japan forum that is affected. In fact, it looks like more and more subforums are being created. Now, France, Germany, Italy, etc., have been moved under a single Europe forum.

Personally, I am not a fan of the extra click involved I'm sure it sounds trivial, but not all places have the greatest internet connections... and this makes it more difficult to see if the forum you're really interested in has any new posts. I hope the change will be reversed.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by Mr. Bean
it more difficult to see if the forum you're really interested in has any new posts. I hope the change will be reversed.
I expect internetbrands will be watching to see what this change does to traffic to the Japan forum. Surely it's not in IB's interest to make a popular community less discoverable, (unless it drives more engagement with a more profitable part of the site) ... ?

Aside from the analytics, though, I hope they also care about how members feel about the move. So what would be the best way to voice our opinion of this?
Old Mar 24, 2012, 7:39 pm
mjm
Original Member

I just alerted Carol to this. It is not so much the click for me as it is a clear sign that FT is the US in more detail and then all those other places in general. It does not show a very international face at all.

Originally Posted by jib71
I expect internetbrands will be watching to see what this change does to traffic to the Japan forum. Surely it's not in IB's interest to make a popular community less discoverable, (unless it drives more engagement with a more profitable part of the site) ... ?

Aside from the analytics, though, I hope they also care about how members feel about the move. So what would be the best way to voice our opinion of this?
Old Mar 24, 2012, 8:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jib71
Texas and Cuba appear one level below Travel & Dining. But not Japan or China etc. Why is that, then? I must have missed the memo.
Whoever decided "Cuba" did not belong inside "The Caribbean" needs a geography check too.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 8:19 pm
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by NickW
Whoever decided "Cuba" did not belong inside "The Caribbean" needs a geography check too.
Nice catch.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 10:27 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Looking at the post count, they should have USA as a sub-forum of North America (Along with Canada and Mexico) with all the different parts of the states being a sub sub forum.

Some of the states have very little posts in comparison to other popular forums like China, Japan etc.

IB is so USA centric
Old Mar 25, 2012, 9:59 am
Community Director Emerita

I welcome your suggestions here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...l#post18269718

The change was made in response to member request, mostly from international members. Discussion occurred over the last couple months. It was a change made to gently guide folks to the right forum. We have masses of misposted threads in the Asia forum which properly belong in one of the country forums. It's a better member experience when newcomers can easily find the best forum to search and/or post their question.

Any change has unintended consequences. We've also had someone concerned about the UK forum moving down. I use My FlyerTalk and subscribe to both the Japan and UK forums. Thus, for me, I never have the experience of having to go deeper to see what interesting topics you are discussing.

I welcome your participation in the thread above. If we can find structure around which folks coalesce, I'll be happy to make further change.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Please put Japan back where it was.... or better yet have a separate forum for destinations, with next category by continent.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 10:54 am

I have posted my plan to reorder the regional forums here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...l#post18337040

The intent is twofold:
  1. Recognize the reality that FlyerTalk has become an international board and move away from US at its core
  2. Identify a more natural organization that will allow folks to easily find information of relevance to them

Your thoughts are welcomed in that thread.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 2:24 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Thanks, Carol.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by 5khours
...have a separate forum for destinations, with next category by continent.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/destinations-704/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.