Prepaid SIM discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2016, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Japan - Prepaid Data SIM Wikia

1) get a SIM before the trip, activate it when you land. you can find japan-specific prepaid SIMs on ebay/amazon/... .Some countries have providers that offer good roaming rates in other countries(eg Starhub in Singapore, Ais Sim2Fly available globally)
2) preorder it, delivered to your hotel
3) preorder it to airport post office, can pick up when you land
4) preorder it, pickup at some airport counter/store
5) at airport/city, find an store/kiosk/vending machine and buy from them
6) Use an app such as Iijmio, Airalo or Ubigi to buy an e-SIM if your phone supports it

If you are arriving at Haneda international terminal without a SIM: Exit customs, turn right, and continue to the BIC camera store on the left side. Ignore any other places and vending machines that will sell you a SIM. BIC has a good selection at regular camera store prices.
Print Wikipost

Prepaid SIM discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2014, 11:14 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by NYCFlyer10001
I have the b-mobile Visitor SIM (1GB) on a CDMA iPhone 6 (A1549). The phone constantly shows no signal (all the pips are hollow) ....

For the price, I am very disappointed with the quality of the service and the connectivity. (It is basically none). Docomo uses Band 1 for their LTE, and my phone supports it, so I don't get why connectivity is so terrible on this SIM.

Must be your first time using this kind of products in Japan. It never shows signal.. i.e. always 0 bars, whether it's iOS, Android or my good old SONY 3G dumb phone. But the data connection always worked.

B-Mobile is the worst visitor data SIM on the market - overtaken by all the new comers. Slowest actual speed (rarely over 1 Mbps), among the highest per-unit data cost, shortest support hours for non-Japanese speakers, no Chinese/Korean support (for those who need it).

The only good thing for B-Mobile is free shipping to any address (i.e. your hotel) in Japan.

It used to be a very good product when it first launched 3-4 years ago - speeds of 2 Mbps and up, the only for-purchase SIM card available to tourists. Then they "enhanced" it with an English website, card shipped pre-activated, reduced the validity period by half, and secretly throttled the speed 7/24.

Last edited by beep88; Dec 3, 2014 at 11:26 pm
Old Dec 3, 2014, 11:43 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
The IIJ SIM is by far the best choice on the market today.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by 5khours
I think clearly the IIJ card is the best current choice.
Or SO-Net.

3000 yen for 1 GB, 30 days
4000 yen for 2.2 GB, 30 days
5000 yen for 3 GB, 60 days
Old Dec 4, 2014, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by beep88
Must be your first time using this kind of products in Japan. It never shows signal.. i.e. always 0 bars, whether it's iOS, Android or my good old SONY 3G dumb phone. But the data connection always worked.
Yes, it is. How could you tell?

It 'works' for most values of work. It's just way disappointing compared to what locals get (I ran a speed test on an iPhone 6 at Sofpal yesterday and got over 100 Mbps!!)

I will have to tell the friend that recommended this to me about the other options, too. Specifically, beep88's sounds like a way better deal all the way around. Alternately, if I had known this forum existed, I could've asked here! Lesson learned.

I also have a bone to pick with Apple - putting in the foreign SIM immediately deactivated my US number from iMessage and Facetime... which there is apparently no way to work around without turning off iMessage and Facetime entirely on the device, and only doing so in an area withOUT wi-fi coverage. Reactivating the US number requires putting in the US SIM and then sending an international text message to Apple, because that makes sense at all.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 1:41 pm

Always best to have iMessage associated with an email address in addition to your phone number. It could be a dummy address you don't use for anything else.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 7:36 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Or SO-Net.

Depends but I think even though you only get 2.0 GB (instead of 2.2 GB on SO-Net) the IIJ mio is better for a couple of reasons.
  • The initial data charge is good for 3-4 months vs. 1 month on So-Net.
  • The SIM is good for 18 months if you keep refilling.
  • Refills are much cheaper e.g. 1100 yen for 500MB vs 2000 yen on So-Net.

If you're a one time traveler to Japan for a short trip, SO-Net might be better but generally I think you're better off with IIJ. SO-net also started offering a 12GB 180 day SIM, which I think might be a good deal.

Originally Posted by NYCFlyer10001
I also have a bone to pick with Apple - putting in the foreign SIM immediately deactivated my US number from iMessage and Facetime... which there is apparently no way to work around without turning off iMessage and Facetime entirely on the device, and only doing so in an area withOUT wi-fi coverage. Reactivating the US number requires putting in the US SIM and then sending an international text message to Apple, because that makes sense at all.
Hint - Turn on call forwarding before changing the SIM.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 10:46 pm

Programs: Skymiles GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Hertz 5*
I placed an order for the bmobile 3GB prepaid SIM

日本通信 bモバイル 3GB定額 SIM (標準SIM) [BM-FRML-3GB]
http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E6%97%A5%E6.../dp/B00NN7JM6A

3,901 yen and free expedited shipping (Amazon Prime trial need to cancel!). Plan to activate with a friend's phone. Will let everyone know how it goes.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 8:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Originally Posted by SoroSuub1
I placed an order for the bmobile 3GB prepaid SIM

日本通信 bモバイル 3GB定額 SIM (標準SIM) [BM-FRML-3GB]
http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E6%97%A5%E6.../dp/B00NN7JM6A

3,901 yen and free expedited shipping (Amazon Prime trial need to cancel!). Plan to activate with a friend's phone. Will let everyone know how it goes.
Note: the stupid packet size limit remains here (aka approx. 360MB in 3 Days ..... then you get stupidly slow service after)

http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/l_3gb/faq.html

b-mobile 3GB定額は、速度制限をしていますか?
以下の条件において速度制限する場合があります。
   ・ファイル交換(P2P)のアプリケーション等の連続したデータ通信利用時
   ・当日を含む3日間のパケット通信が300万パケット以上の利用時

パケット制限はありますか?
お客様間の公平を確保するため、 特にご利用の多いお客様(当日を含む直近3日間の 通信量の合計が300万パケット(360MB相当)以上)に対しては 通信の速度を制限する場合があります。
Old Dec 20, 2014, 7:23 am

Or SO-Net.

Is this the price of this product at the airport?
I've read reports that claim the contrary.

Anyway it's only 3200 JPY on Amazon JP with occasional flash sales. One can consider delivery to the hotel.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by itihm
Is this the price of this product at the airport?
I've read reports that claim the contrary. .
You were reading outdated reports from 3 months ago.

Apparently only 1GB and 3GB versions available from the vending machines at prices quoted above.

https://mobareco.jp/a1847/
Old Dec 23, 2014, 9:56 pm

You were reading outdated reports from 3 months ago.

Apparently only 1GB and 3GB versions available from the vending machines at prices quoted above.

https://mobareco.jp/a1847/
thanks for your reply! i bought the 2GB nano from Amazon JP for 2500 JPY during their flash sale. A steal imho. Free delivery to my hotel.
Old Dec 25, 2014, 8:09 am

Programs: Skymiles GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by itihm
thanks for your reply! i bought the 2GB nano from Amazon JP for 2500 JPY during their flash sale. A steal imho. Free delivery to my hotel.
Don't forget somene with a japanese mobile number has to activate your sim for you!

I finished with my 3gb prepaid sim and left japan (man was it slow on my Huawei Ascend Y300!). Passed it off to a random person at the airport. Hopefully it'll be put to good use.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 9:56 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by SoroSuub1
Don't forget somene with a japanese mobile number has to activate your sim for you!
Bumping a slightly old thread, but is this requirement not present on cards purchased in person? The so-net site says the SIM just needs to be inserted and activated via a browser upon purchase.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 9:02 pm

They were talking about the local SIM bought from amazon.co.jp .

Anything else you see on an official website in English are meant for foreign tourists and do not require activation with a Japanese phone.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 10:19 am

Programs: AA PLT
They were talking about the local SIM bought from amazon.co.jp .

Anything else you see on an official website in English are meant for foreign tourists and do not require activation with a Japanese phone.
Thanks. I saw the so-net SIM on offer during a flash sale last week for 2200 yen, so I figured I might try that, but I found a similar SIM on eBay for $24.50 instead that I could have shipped to me before departure, so I opted for that to save some hassle on arrival.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.