Wiki Posts
Search

Hidden-city ticketing via TYO?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2011, 3:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Hidden-city ticketing via TYO?

Does such a thing commonly exist in Japan? I'm looking at a flight right now that is only selling Y fares and I'm curious if maybe adding a connection or something could knock that down somehow.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Old Aug 30, 2011, 6:57 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not hidden city but:

On UA, if you are buying W fare, I have now twice found SFO-HKG-NRT-SFO to be some hundreds of dollars less than SFO-NRT-SFO. Dunno about the lower fare classes, I was looking for SWU upgradable fares.

Also investigate fares allowing stopovers that terminate in Seoul, fares to there tend to be more competitive than Japan.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Not hidden city but:

On UA, if you are buying W fare, I have now twice found SFO-HKG-NRT-SFO to be some hundreds of dollars less than SFO-NRT-SFO. Dunno about the lower fare classes, I was looking for SWU upgradable fares.

Also investigate fares allowing stopovers that terminate in Seoul, fares to there tend to be more competitive than Japan.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm trying to book HIJ-HND the first week of November on a very specific flight so that's limiting my options a bit. I tried the SEL add-on and let's just say it didn't work as I would have hoped.

At the end of the day I'll just pay the $400ish one-way fare if that's what it takes, but I wouldn't mind saving a couple bucks either.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You have probably thought of buying one of those *A/OW coupons from JL or NH in conjunction with your international ticket....haven't you?
Old Aug 30, 2011, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
You have probably thought of buying one of those *A/OW coupons from JL or NH in conjunction with your international ticket....haven't you?
I certainly have now.

Any idea what fare class they book in to on NH? That could be quite a money-saving approach.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbm12
I certainly have now.

Any idea what fare class they book in to on NH? That could be quite a money-saving approach.
I have no idea, but I know you get full credit for the miles(so would assume it books into a higher Y class) and if you "upgrade" to Premium(on NH), you get those extra points too.

Edited to add: I understand what you are trying to do, hope it works out.....I wonder if they haven't blocked out certain flights to HIJ/OKJ from *A visit Japan fares?

Last edited by Q Shoe Guy; Aug 30, 2011 at 10:14 pm
Old Aug 31, 2011, 5:57 am
Original Poster

I tried the online tool last night. It accepted my itinerary and I thought all was well. Turns out that it queues to LH and LH would only sell it to me if I was on an LH intercontinental flight into or out of Japan. I'm not.

I called UA this morning and the agent tried to process it but the fare requires M inventory and that was not available on either of the segments I want. I'm going to keep an eye on it for a few days but it is looking more and more like I'm going to have to buy these tickets outright.

What is involved in upgrading to premium on NH with the Japan Pass? Is that something you do in advance or only at the airport?
Old Aug 31, 2011, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I tried the online tool last night. It accepted my itinerary and I thought all was well. Turns out that it queues to LH and LH would only sell it to me if I was on an LH intercontinental flight into or out of Japan. I'm not.

I called UA this morning and the agent tried to process it but the fare requires M inventory and that was not available on either of the segments I want. I'm going to keep an eye on it for a few days but it is looking more and more like I'm going to have to buy these tickets outright.

What is involved in upgrading to premium on NH with the Japan Pass? Is that something you do in advance or only at the airport?
At the airport space available basis! You could also buy the Premium fare outright before departure. They are probably blocking "redemptions" and cheaper ticket class access to those flights...
Old Aug 31, 2011, 10:00 am
Original Poster

It looks like I can actually find M inventory on one 787 flight that day. Sadly, however, it is not the Hiroshima flights and that routing gets me more time somewhere I think I'd rather visit than OKJ. Plus only the return from OKJ has the M inventory and that's mid-morning so that sucks.

I'll keep trying though. I might book the refundable seats just in case now to guarantee having something, but I'll keep trying.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 11:14 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
I'm confused. What does the OP want to do?
Old Aug 31, 2011, 11:20 am

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
Originally Posted by jib71
I'm confused. What does the OP want to do?
I guess OP wants to take a brand new B787.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by O Sora
I guess OP wants to take a brand new B787.
:-:

Old Sep 9, 2011, 2:00 am
Original Poster

In case anyone cares, the end result was that I found the M inventory necessary on the 787 flight and got the Japan Pass ticket issued. Only $264 for a ticket showing a list price of $800. Not a bad deal at all.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lightbulb

In case anyone cares, the end result was that I found the M inventory necessary on the 787 flight and got the Japan Pass ticket issued. Only $264 for a ticket showing a list price of $800. Not a bad deal at all.
You should give credit to whom it 's due as I saved you $536 with my suggestion above!
Old Sep 9, 2011, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I certainly have now.

You should give credit to whom it 's due as I saved you $536 with my suggestion above!
Ahem!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.