Wiki Posts
Search

Best Hotel in Tokyo

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2012, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 5khours
Well this thread is getting a little long in the tooth, but I would put in a good word for the Okura. Rooms are small, but I still love the place. Great ambiance and the best service in town. Good restaurants too!
The New Otani is a lot like the Okura, but with even better restaurants.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 3:15 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Oh Hailstorm? Say you're not serious. They are as different as night and day.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 5khours
Oh Hailstorm? Say you're not serious. They are as different as night and day.
Oh, you're right. They're much different. Okura Hotel was built in 1962, but New Otani was built in 1963. That one year made a huge difference.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 5:48 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
deleted

Last edited by jib71; Mar 18, 2012 at 10:46 am
Old Mar 18, 2012, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have they cleaned up the elevators?
Old Mar 18, 2012, 7:36 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
The Imperial, New Otani and Okura are each really great, storied hotels, with amazing service, and are often cited as the three great cornerstones of the Tokyo hotel market, but I find it difficult to recommend any of them because they are simply too darned old. For the same price you can stay in a five-star property that looks and feels new and fresh and ties into an international loyalty program, and you will still get great service.

Not to mention that there are effectively two New Otanis; the cheaper Tower section is very cramped and worn out, and generally not worth its price.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Nope. One is an organic mishmash of buildouts, additions, redecorations, and retreads with no continuity. The other is two buildings, very much alike in style, with a lobby that to me remains the finest public space I've been in. Not to mentiont The Orchid Room, which is Power Breakfast central.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 5:18 pm

Oh, you're right. They're much different. Okura Hotel was built in 1962, but New Otani was built in 1963. That one year made a huge difference.
Surely you jest. By your logic a Holiday Inn and an FS would be comparable if they were built at the same time?????
Old Mar 18, 2012, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by Pickles
Nope. One is an organic mishmash of buildouts, additions, redecorations, and retreads with no continuity. The other is two buildings, very much alike in style, with a lobby that to me remains the finest public space I've been in. Not to mentiont The Orchid Room, which is Power Breakfast central.
Pickles, Thank you. After reading Hailstorm's post I thought I'd fallen down the rabbit hole.

When I have breakfast in the Orchid Room, they remember what I ordered last time I was there. When I eat breakfast at the New Otani, the waiter who brings the food can't remember who ordered what 5 minutes earlier.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by joejones

Not to mention that there are effectively two New Otanis; the cheaper Tower section is very cramped and worn out, and generally not worth its price.
Is it still the same hotel property just two different names for each tower? Or are they considered separate hotels: New Otani and New Otani The Main?

Other than the decor, is it the same hotel sharing restaurants, health club, etc?
Old Jun 11, 2014, 12:29 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Other than the decor, is it the same hotel sharing restaurants, health club, etc?
Freaky. You've resurrected a two-year old thread ....

Yes - You can go from one tower to the other and be considered a guest of the same hotel throughout.

BTW - Okura main building will close for reconstruction / renovation next year. I think I may make a point of staying there before then.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I just stayed at a posh for me place ! After consultation with a few on here, I decided to give the Peninsula Tokyo a whirl ! Wow, was that ever a blast. Checked-in, had afternoon tea with all the power maru-no-basans. Then it was off to the suite(upgraded at checkin, don't know why), twice as big as my present abode. 2 toilets to defile, and some tech-oddities which I am sure were cutting edge a few cycles back. The room itself was in top notch condition, fantastic bath/shower. Loved the dressing room. Went up to Peter the Bar for drinks and snacks, 800 JPY per which was not so terrible. They do tea well, certainly not coffee, although many are no doubt transfixed by the lavazza machines in each room. The service was excellent. I had a bottle of Champagne chilling an the ice melted. Left the room for the bar, and during the turn down they put fresh ice in the bucket, and cubes in the other buckets. They also said happy birthday to me throughout my day! It was a fun time ! I quite like the location and our rom had a great view of that new building in Toranomon, the one with the Andaz ! My vote goes for the Peninsula, but now I am intrigued to try the other hoity toity properties to make a comparison.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
I quite like the location and our rom had a great view of that new building in Toranomon, the one with the Andaz ! My vote goes for the Peninsula, but now I am intrigued to try the other hoity toity properties to make a comparison.
Wanna trade rooms?
Old Jun 11, 2014, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wanna trade rooms?
Sadly I have already checked out, birthdays last only 1 day ! The Andaz looks flash, but I wonder if they will have superior service to go with all the flash? Do post your review !
Old Jun 11, 2014, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Sadly I have already checked out, birthdays last only 1 day ! The Andaz looks flash, but I wonder if they will have superior service to go with all the flash? Do post your review !
There's already a ton of stuff on my blog. The quick summary:

Pro:
  • Awesome food
  • Great spa
  • Fantastic views

Cons:
  • Horrible room design (especially sleeping quarters)
  • Bizarre blend of Andaz hospitality and Japanese politeness

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.