Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA NRT to ANA Domestic connection

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2010, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

UA NRT to ANA Domestic connection

Coming into NRT from mainland US on UA, I have to transit to ANA domestic to Osaka.

Is ANA domestic a different terminal?
Do I have to clear immigration?
Dont have checked bags.

Thanks!
Old Oct 23, 2010, 11:50 pm

Programs: UA Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by HawaiiO
Coming into NRT from mainland US on UA, I have to transit to ANA domestic to Osaka.

Is ANA domestic a different terminal?
Do I have to clear immigration?
Dont have checked bags.

Thanks!
Yes and yes
Old Oct 24, 2010, 12:42 am

Location: NRT/HND, IWK, SAT, BWI, NAP, OKA, AUS, DEN, COS and PUB
Programs: UA 1K.. 1MM
Connecting within NRT is pretty easy... Since the domestic section is so tiny, it's pretty easy to work through. You will have to clear immigration and then customs. Once you leave the secure area, you have to go (if memory serves) to your right as you exit. Eventually, it opens up into an area where there's an ANA (and maybe JAL and a couple others) domestic checkin desk. Within 50 feet, there's an entrance to a signet lounge and an escalator up to security which dumps you directly into the waiting area.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 1:09 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Contrary to what was posted in the first response, both UA and ANA are in terminal 1. Do not go to terminal 2!

The response was correct that you will have to go through immigration and customs at NRT. Take a look at

http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/guide/map/index_t1.html

Here's more information on how to do the transfer:

http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/guid...om1/index.html

There are also ATM machines on the arrivals level, this would be a good place to get some Yen. When you exit customs, the ATM machines are to your left, the domestic check-ins are to the right.

If you are hungry and have the time, after checking your bags for the domestic flight, you might want to go up to the 5th floor shopping mall to eat. The landside restaurant selection is way, way better than the airside one -- especially on the domestic side.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 2:35 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Here's a floor plan of NRT T1 F1 (arrivals) from the official NRT website showing baggage reclaim/customs and domestic check-in counters.

Old Oct 24, 2010, 2:40 am

Programs: United-1P!!!! (WOW!)
And while the OP said (s)he won't have checked bags, this serves as a reference for future post-searchers:

Despite what stateside UA agents say about checking your bags through on a domestic ANA flight, you DO have to pick them up in NRT and clear customs, and you DO get new bag tags put on when you check-in with ANA. It's good peace of mind to have it on the original tags for misconnect purposes, but the process resets upon arrival in NRT.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Thanks all!
Old Oct 24, 2010, 5:52 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by JettaTurbo
And while the OP said (s)he won't have checked bags, this serves as a reference for future post-searchers:

Despite what stateside UA agents say about checking your bags through on a domestic ANA flight, you DO have to pick them up in NRT and clear customs, and you DO get new bag tags put on when you check-in with ANA. It's good peace of mind to have it on the original tags for misconnect purposes, but the process resets upon arrival in NRT.
That's a good point, as I had a UA agent tell me that recently and I didn't think it was correct, and went to retrieve my bag anyway. But my coworker had been adamant that the bag would check through based on the UA agent's statement - had he been alone he would've missed getting his bag.

I will say also that the ANA domestic security screening process is very quick and easy compared to what we endure elsewhere, especially US domestic. Just be aware that they do have a sizer on the x-ray machine. While my bag fit I had the impression they were fairly strict about carryon size.

ANA domestic airside has a small place to buy "convenience store" type food and snacks. But as mentioned upthread if you fancy more of a meal and have the time, head upstairs to the mall area first.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 6:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond, National Executive, Starwood Gold
Thanks good to know as we are doing the same in a few weeks.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 7:56 am

Programs: UA MP
Originally Posted by 84fiero
I will say also that the ANA domestic security screening process is very quick and easy compared to what we endure elsewhere, especially US domestic. Just be aware that they do have a sizer on the x-ray machine. While my bag fit I had the impression they were fairly strict about carryon size.

ANA domestic airside has a small place to buy "convenience store" type food and snacks. But as mentioned upthread if you fancy more of a meal and have the time, head upstairs to the mall area first.
Depending as to the security line, you could get in line with 15 minutes and still make your flight without running.

The NH domestic area has one shop, so if you want something just get it landside.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 8:28 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
In addition to the most helpful replies from members in the forum, for any added assistance, let me move this to the Travel->Japan forum, where there's a similar thread on the forum front page. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan...a-skyclub.html)

Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, Travel Buzz and United forums.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 9:01 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by JettaTurbo
Despite what stateside UA agents say about checking your bags through on a domestic ANA flight, you DO have to pick them up in NRT and clear customs
Originally Posted by 84fiero
That's a good point, as I had a UA agent tell me that recently and I didn't think it was correct
Someone needs to re-educate UA's people. (Yeah. Shocking, I know). Presumably they're thinking of connections to other international flights at NRT - which is a totally different kettle o' fish.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 9:39 am

Programs: Member of Many but, sadly, a Post-Elite Life
Question Baggage: Connecting from UA F to ANA Y

Hello.

I'll be arriving in Tokyo via UA F in a couple of weeks. Depending on possible late availability of premium *A seats, there's a small chance my port of arrival may become HND instead of the currently scheduled NRT.

Since bags need to be collected and rechecked after customs, will my bags that flew free under UA/*A F rules be accepted as such as part of a single itinerary, or must they be re-checked by ANA Y rules with additional restrictions (and fees) based on size and weight?

If I have to buy the NH economy ticket, I assume all bets are off for F-class baggage rules.

Thanks!
Old Sep 15, 2014, 10:34 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
I am assuming you are talking about connection from international UA F to domestic NH Y. If two flights are under one ticket then international baggage rule will apply to domestic NH Y segment. UA should able to tag your bag all the way to your final destination if your connection is at HND, I do not think UA will able to tag your bags all the way to your destination in Japan if airport transfer of NRT to HND is required. Although you will need to collect your bags, clear customs, and recheck your bag with NH, but if you already have a baggage tagged all the way to domestic destination in Japan then you should have no problem when rechecking your bags at HND for your domestic NH flight.

If you have two separate tickets, international UA F ticket and domestic NH Y, then situation can be different. If your domestic NH Y ticket is wholly domestic segment in Japan only, then I do think strictly speaking the rule says you will have baggage allowance of domestic NH Y flight.

I am saying this because NH used to be lenient on this part. When having separate tickets for international segment and domestic Japan segment, simply mentioning and showing international ticket (usually had to be same day flight) allowed international baggage allowance on domestic segment in Japan. Such as flying domestically in Japan using Visit Japan fare.

However, past two or three years I have experiencing that NH is getting more strict on rules, and enforcing domestic baggage allowance on domestic segment in Japan if the ticket is not part of international segment such as having two separate tickets. Which my situation I was flying domestically in Japan using Visit Japan fare and connection from international to domestic was on say day.

Having an elite status on Star Alliance airlines will allow additional 20 kg if you have *A gold status which will help. But my feeling is that an elite status is no guarantee that you will get international F baggage allowance on domestic segment in Japan when domestic segments are in a separate ticket from international segment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.