Wiki Posts
Search

Curry House CoCo Ichibanya Multilingual Menu Now Online

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2011, 5:43 am
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by yotsubachan
I love the Curry House CoCo Ichibanya in Torrance, CA. I feel so blessed to have them opened about 2 miles from my house. One night I showed up at 9:45PM thinking they would not want to seat me because they were closing in 15 minutes. They were so nice and seated us immediately. We were practically the only ones there on a weeknight that late.

Picture of Curry house during late night visit:

Yelp reviews:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/curry-house-...banya-torrance
Chuckling at the thought of "being seated" at CoCo. You just walk in sit down and press the bell when ready. And 10pm closing? That is unrealistic for CoCo. It is a late night food place so stays open at least until 11. And my local one stays open 24/7. The US has apparently taken an institution and castrated it.

As I posted upthread, "want CoCo, come to Japan".
Old Sep 9, 2011, 6:06 am

That gussied up, Americanized CoCo makes me want to cry, or hurl. Good thing I'll be at a real one 48 hours from now.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 7:35 am

Programs: ANA Miledge club, JAL Miledge bank, Hertz #1 Gold
Man, I love that place, but I try to avoid it. That stuff is so bad for you, especially all the deep fried katsu curry... but sometimes i just can't resist. We have one right across our office building
Old Sep 13, 2011, 6:31 am

What a real CoCo looks like:

If it looks a little too pristine, that's because this one just opened last month.

The goodness that is CoCo:

Old Sep 13, 2011, 8:51 am
mjm
Original Member

Nice!

Add cheese, some pari pari chicken and maybe Gyu shabu and I would say we have a feast. Good call on adding veg.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
Originally Posted by rts123
What a real CoCo looks like:
The shop doesn't seem to have tables. It must be in the city center. In the suburbs, most of the Coco shops have tables.

Thanks, rts123. The curry pic is now the wallpaper of my mobile.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 6:29 pm
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by O Sora
The shop doesn't seem to have tables. It must be in the city center. In the suburbs, most of the Coco shops have tables.

Thanks, rts123. The curry pic is now the wallpaper of my mobile.
Most in the city center do too. I suspect the table in this one are behind the photographer.

Agreed on the picture. CoCo is now my weekend plan this weekend. :-)
Old Sep 14, 2011, 6:30 am

The one in the picture occupies a narrow store front in the Hamano-machi shopping area of Nagasaki, narrow enough that it's counter service on the first floor, table service upstairs.

Glad I could inspire a couple of CoCo visits. Sadly I'm only here for 4 days on this trip and won't be able to have another meal at CoCo before flying home tomorrow.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 6:38 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
I'm just glad that my current home city has CoCo. But the 10pm thing happens here (Shanghai) too. And most locations here are table service only.

(Also- the menus here state that spicy level 5/5 requires a doctor's approval. Is that local or do they do that in Japan too?)

Last edited by jamar; Sep 14, 2011 at 6:45 am
Old Sep 14, 2011, 8:21 am
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by rts123
The one in the picture occupies a narrow store front in the Hamano-machi shopping area of Nagasaki, narrow enough that it's counter service on the first floor, table service upstairs.

Glad I could inspire a couple of CoCo visits. Sadly I'm only here for 4 days on this trip and won't be able to have another meal at CoCo before flying home tomorrow.
Come back. I'll meet you for curry.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 8:25 am
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by jamar
I'm just glad that my current home city has CoCo. But the 10pm thing happens here (Shanghai) too. And most locations here are table service only.

(Also- the menus here state that spicy level 5/5 requires a doctor's approval. Is that local or do they do that in Japan too?)
Shanghai CoCo is good but still a half beat off the original recording. Pudong gets my vote over Puxi location but I always lave wishing I were eating it in Tokyo.

The spice scale goes to 10 not 5. No doctor's notes required in Tokyo. That is just local marketing and changing of the normal menu. Anything above 7 though and it is a bit much. Up to that level I love it though.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 5:32 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Thank goodness for October holiday, then- I'm going to Tokyo for a couple of days.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 10:03 am

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
It would be nice if it would include list of ingredients for those of us with food allergies. Japan is very difficult for anybody with food allergies/intolerances;
if not for that, Japan is the perfect place: safe, interesting, friendly, impeccable service and organization and actually not expensive if you know how to work your way around.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 10:35 am
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by keisari
It would be nice if it would include list of ingredients for those of us with food allergies. Japan is very difficult for anybody with food allergies/intolerances;
if not for that, Japan is the perfect place: safe, interesting, friendly, impeccable service and organization and actually not expensive if you know how to work your way around.
If there is a specific ingredient(s) that you cannot eat, I would be happy to call, ask and report back.

Spreading the love, one Level 7 curry at a time. :-)
Old Sep 16, 2011, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by mjm
If there is a specific ingredient(s) that you cannot eat, I would be happy to call, ask and report back.

Spreading the love, one Level 7 curry at a time. :-)
Just came back from Japan and most likely not going back for a while. I cannot eat gluten (protein found in wheat, rye and barley and sometimes in oats when there is cross-contamination).
Even soba noodles which are made of buckwheat (not related to wheat) are sometimes mixed with wheat flour so those are no no unless I can ask specifically about the ingredients.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.