Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

How does this airline connect passengers though Tokyo HND and NRT?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2017, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

It seems as though some destinations are served only from HND and others only from NRT. This is probably a big problem for those who fly internationally but want to connect domestically, since they serve barely any domestic routes from NRT.

Or is it that the majority of the pax on this airline are O and D?
Old May 23, 2017, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Most passengers take a bus, departing right at front of arrival level of the terminal and arriving at the departure level of the terminal.

Yes, every day there are good number of people connecting Int.-Dom. on NRT-HND connection and bus is very convenient. Hence from around noon time to late afternoon there is bus departing every 10 - 15 min.

I have done this connection so many time in past how many decades, I lost count, and I have yet to miss the connection due to traffic delay of the bus. After I said that I am sure my next connection at Tokyo my bus will be stuck in a traffic..., wait, my next connection is arriving international at HND and connecting to domestic flight out of HND.
Old May 23, 2017, 6:15 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Same as NYC and London. Take a bus between airports.
Old May 24, 2017, 4:36 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by a330boston
It seems as though some destinations are served only from HND and others only from NRT. This is probably a big problem for those who fly internationally but want to connect domestically, since they serve barely any domestic routes from NRT.

Or is it that the majority of the pax on this airline are O and D?
connection on your own dime, you'll need to lug your checked luggage and recheck in, and no cover for lateness due to traffic.
have at least 3 hours between the two flights!
Old May 24, 2017, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joejones
Same as NYC and London. Take a bus between airports.
Or connect somewhere else. Probably very few routings *require* a LGA-JFK shuffle because they couldn't be done via BOS, ORD, PHL, or elsewhere.
Same on LHR-LGW.

For Intl-to-domestic Japan, maybe it's faster/easier to route via ICN? (Or KIX in some cases?)
Old May 24, 2017, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Or connect somewhere else. Probably very few routings *require* a LGA-JFK shuffle because they couldn't be done via BOS, ORD, PHL, or elsewhere.
Same on LHR-LGW.

For Intl-to-domestic Japan, maybe it's faster/easier to route via ICN? (Or KIX in some cases?)
But then what is someone wanted to fly JAL from BOS to CAN? There is no HND-BOS or NRT-CAN.

Is JAL simply not an option in this scenario?
Old May 24, 2017, 3:47 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
JAL is certainly an option. You just have to clear immigration and claim bags at NRT, then take a bus to HND and re-check there. It isn't the most convenient connection in the world but plenty of people do it.

See: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan...er-thread.html
Old May 24, 2017, 4:33 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by joejones
JAL is certainly an option. You just have to clear immigration and claim bags at NRT, then take a bus to HND and re-check there. It isn't the most convenient connection in the world but plenty of people do it.

See: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan...er-thread.html
Or you can fly BOS-NRT-HKG then take the bus or fly to CAN. Train is also available but not directly from HKG.
Old May 27, 2017, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA LifeTime PLT (2.982 MM, But 3MM+ Total), HHonors GOLD, IHG AMB
But then what is someone wanted to fly JAL from BOS to CAN? There is no HND-BOS or NRT-CAN.

The "Friendly" Airport Limousine, which is a bus, between NRT and HND, is much more convenient and runs frequent than the shuttle-buses between terminals at BOS. Last time the going rate was 3000 yen. Get cash at NRT.

JL is certainly a terrific option with the direct BOS-NRT. I don't see NH there. CX is direct BOS-HKG and then HKG-CAN.
Old May 27, 2017, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Spock Seat
The "Friendly" Airport Limousine, which is a bus, between NRT and HND, is much more convenient and runs frequent than the shuttle-buses between terminals at BOS. Last time the going rate was 3000 yen. Get cash at NRT.

JL is certainly a terrific option with the direct BOS-NRT. I don't see NH there. CX is direct BOS-HKG and then HKG-CAN.
It is 3100 Yen now,and you can pay with a credit card no problem.
Old May 27, 2017, 9:21 pm

I did this a few times.

Besides cheaper fare, I have a free day in Tokyo to eat my favourite food.
Old May 28, 2017, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Or just fly another airline that has a more convenient schedule. Maybe BOS-HKG-CAN or BOS-SFO-CAN or whatever Not every airline will conveniently serve every city pair combination.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.