Search

PY worth it on 788 NRT - BOS

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2017, 12:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier Platinum
PY worth it on 788 NRT - BOS

Hi all,

Curious to hear opinions about whether or not the $350 PY upgrade is worth it for NRT-BOS.

I care most about being able to sleep through the flight, which is usually difficult for me in any place.

How does the comfort compare to standard Y?
Old Apr 30, 2017, 12:41 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by mcrw00
Hi all,

Curious to hear opinions about whether or not the $350 PY upgrade is worth it for NRT-BOS.

I care most about being able to sleep through the flight, which is usually difficult for me in any place.

How does the comfort compare to standard Y?
Even if you can't sleep, PY will be more comfortable given its wider seat width and seat pitch.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
The PY seat is more comfortable and easier to sleep in. Champagne, shochu, and Perrier are the additions to the drinks compared to Y. And a bit bigger mid-flight snack is the only addition to the food.

But in my opinion after the latest price adjustment the cash upgrade option has become too expensive. I don't see enough value compared to the price.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 1:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The PY seat is more comfortable and easier to sleep in. Champagne, shochu, and Perrier are the additions to the drinks compared to Y. And a bit bigger mid-flight snack is the only addition to the food.

But in my opinion after the latest price adjustment the cash upgrade option has become too expensive. I don't see enough value compared to the price.

Thanks. So you're saying the dinner and pre-arrival meals are exactly the same as Y?

If so, I'm agreeing that 40,000 yen (for me) is a bit steep just for that.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 9:54 am
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Originally Posted by mcrw00
Thanks. So you're saying the dinner and pre-arrival meals are exactly the same as Y?

If so, I'm agreeing that 40,000 yen (for me) is a bit steep just for that.
The meals are the same, they give you one additional snack/dessert in PY and I think more alcoholic drink choices.

Note that the PY seat does not recline back, it's the sliding type.

It's also not worth the upgrade if there are no desirable seats available to choose at check-in. I mean upgrading to a middle seat in PY is kind of pointless if you already have a better seat selected in Y.
Old May 3, 2017, 11:20 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the tips.

Decided not to go for paid PY as I have a window seat reserved in Y already, and I've never been a fan of the slide forward type seats anyway.

Will see how far Ambien / wishful thinking for a J op-up takes me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.