Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best strategy for 1A/1K??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2017, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Best strategy for 1A/1K??

All - upcoming flights to/from JFK in F, mileage upgrade from revenue J. No JL status.

What's the best strategy for trying to secure 1A or 1K? Put differently, are these released to OLCI at any point? If not and they remain under airport control, is there an advantage to arriving early? Or are they only released at boarding?

The answer will determine a) whether I step out of a meeting to OLCI at the optimal window and b) whether I purposely try and arrive 3 hours prior at JFK. As for the former, I'm willing to do so but see no value otherwise given I'm not particularly enamored with T1 and the AF lounge.

Similarly, what's my strategy flying SINHNDJFK? Beg at SIN, handle at HND F lounge?

Thanks in advance, very much looking forward to the experience but greatly prefer a window seat.

Best, Jamie
Old Apr 29, 2017, 7:30 am

Have you tried calling JAL and requesting that seat? It shows blocked on the online seat map I think because it is a bassinet location. But the right agent might be willing to assign it for you. Try the LA call center.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 7:35 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Merlinrnr
Have you tried calling JAL and requesting that seat? It shows blocked on the online seat map I think because it is a bassinet location. But the right agent might be willing to assign it for you. Try the LA call center.
No those are not bassinet location.

You need to get those at the airport. But there's no guarantee as there are connecting passengers that may be able to get those seats before T-3 or JL005 passengers arriving at T-3 of JL003 to get 1A/K. Or some JGC 5* member called in and requested for that seat so airport staff may just save it for that member. Only way an agent may be able to assign the seat to you ahead of time with an award ticket is F is completely full and every other seats have been taken.

Last edited by JALPak; Apr 29, 2017 at 7:40 am
Old Apr 29, 2017, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JALPak
No those are not bassinet location.

You need to get those at the airport. But there's no guarantee as there are connecting passengers that may be able to get those seats before T-3 or JL005 passengers arriving at T-3 of JL003 to get 1A/K. Or some JGC 5* member called in and requested for that seat so airport staff may just save it for that member. Only way an agent may be able to assign the seat to you ahead of time with an award ticket is F is completely full and every other seats have been taken.
do you think there is any marginal benefit of arriving at JFK as early as possible? It's quite unlikely there will be any connecting passengers, though I recognize there's a risk of higher status passengers showing up after me.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
do you think there is any marginal benefit of arriving at JFK as early as possible? It's quite unlikely there will be any connecting passengers, though I recognize there's a risk of higher status passengers showing up after me.
If you want to suffer and stuck at T1 for an extended period of time. It's just a window seat, I wouldn't go out of my way to get it. Other seats are perfectly fine for me.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 9:28 am
Original Poster

If you want to suffer and stuck at T1 for an extended period of time. It's just a window seat, I wouldn't go out of my way to get it. Other seats are perfectly fine for me.
Japan holds a special place for me, coming in over the Pacific and first seeing land is something I hold dear. Even have a dedicated playlist for my arrivals, given how few they've been. Lefthand window seat is truly important, not enough to pay full F fare, but certainly I'd pay a few hundred dollars to the guy in 2A to switch if doing so wasn't so tacky and awkward.

But it's good to know the privacy partitions in the middle offer adequate privacy.

Jamie
Old Apr 29, 2017, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Japan holds a special place for me, coming in over the Pacific and first seeing land is something I hold dear. Even have a dedicated playlist for my arrivals, given how few they've been. Lefthand window seat is truly important, not enough to pay full F fare, but certainly I'd pay a few hundred dollars to the guy in 2A to switch if doing so wasn't so tacky and awkward.

But it's good to know the privacy partitions in the middle offer adequate privacy.

Jamie
Then didn't you answer the question yourself? You have no other options than arriving at JFK early.

But wouldn't left hand window seat, i.e. 1A just give you a view of the ocean?
Old Apr 29, 2017, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Then didn't you answer the question yourself? You have no other options than arriving at JFK early.

But wouldn't left hand window seat, i.e. 1A just give you a view of the ocean?
Yeah, guessing 0900 for 1150 departure, no choice

Yes, 1K would still be a coup, though I consistently seem to land on 16R when flying from the U.S., and I enjoy the view of the hotels and airport. Nobody said I was normal.

Whenever given a choice, I prefer the lefthand side for some reason. Regardless of aircraft type. No idea why.

I appreciate the input. Now I just have to decide whether to sully my palate with the best the AF lounge has to offer, or simply wait for the Salon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.