Wiki Posts
Search

Op-ups

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2016, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond+ Lifetime, JL Diamond
Op-ups

Took my first flight as a newly minted Sapphire/JGC member yesterday and was treated to an op-up from Y-C on JL18. I think I read somewhere that op-ups are rare on JL so perhaps just beginner's luck?

Would like to hear from others who have had recent op-up experiences if you're out there.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 6:24 pm

Programs: JGC premier
I got an op-up from Y to C as well the first time i flew after being qualified as JGC premier. That was probably the only op-up i've ever gotten from JAL.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bakaneko85
I got an op-up from Y to C as well the first time i flew after being qualified as JGC premier. That was probably the only op-up i've ever gotten from JAL.
Hah. Good to know!
Old Mar 14, 2016, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Never expect op-up's, but they do happen.

I got 5 op-up's last year.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 10:58 am

Programs: JGC premier
wow! but in a hindsight, I flew mostly C-class, that flight I was op-upped to was the only short haul int'l Y class in JAL I took that year, so that probably doesn't give JAL much chance to upgrade. Flying another intl short haul in JAL Y next month, let's see..
Old Mar 14, 2016, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Op-ups are fairly rare, they are dependent on Y (or C for that matter) being overbooked, and no JMB member requesting a point upgrade at check in.

I have had a few Y to C upgrades out of Tokyo recently. Mostly the lounge attendants will find me in the lounge and give me a new boarding pass.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

My Japanese really sucks but I think I heard the staff at the check in counter discussing something that may have been "we're overbooked in Y" but I can't be sure.

Makes me wonder what the typical passenger mix is on a route like NRT-YVR. C was fairly empty.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Interesting, on my return flight (JL17) I asked for an upgrade at the counter at YVR and the agent said sure. Guess that's not technically an op-up but I'm still surprised there wouldn't be at least a few people ahead of me in the pecking order since I'm just a lowly Sapphire.

And this time I can confirm Y was overbooked.

I have to wonder if JL treats upgrades as a first-come-first-served kind of thing since the agent didn't offer it to me up front. This would never have happened to me on CX. But of course I'm not complaining!
Old Jun 5, 2016, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Another Y-C op-up today on apparently overbooked JL36 (SIN-HND). I am feeling this may be a not uncommon occurrence on this route.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by sixpaq
Another Y-C op-up today on apparently overbooked JL36 (SIN-HND). I am feeling this may be a not uncommon occurrence on this route.
The intra Asian are more likely than the US/EU routes. I am guessing your JL card was the one in the booking?
Old Jun 6, 2016, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The intra Asian are more likely than the US/EU routes. I am guessing your JL card was the one in the booking?
Yes, that's the account I've been using for the past 2 months.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Another op-up on JL36 last night. This one was less exciting since there's a Y+ section on this flight, which is where I ended up.

TYO-SIN really is a packed route for economy, I'm finding. Three weeks back I was on this overbooked NH flight and got an op-up into a completely empty J section.

https://twitter.com/aznbiztraveler/s...50903289913344
Old Jun 29, 2016, 7:22 pm

Programs: JMB Diamond,NH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, IHG Royal Ambassador Spire,
You are having a very good run!
Old Jun 29, 2016, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jackrussellterrier
You are having a very good run!
Seems to be isolated to the SIN-TYO route though!
Old Jun 29, 2016, 9:46 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
Any anecdotes of JL upgrading AA or BA elites?

I've been given op-ups several times on NH as a UA elite years ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.