Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

ORD-NRT menu item recommendations? (First and Business)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2015, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

I was wondering if people can weigh in the quality of some of these items, what some of them are, and if they recommend them as executed by JAL for ORD-NRT. These are from J and F. We are split as a party between J and F.

Business Menu
1. Deep Fried Pork Cutlet with Miso Sauce on Steamed Rice
2. Salmon & Vinegared Mackerel Pressed Sushi
3. Chicago Hamburger (what is a chicago hamburger anyway? It's not a ham sandwich is it?)
4. Deep Fried Pork Cutlet Sandwich (I wonder if it's the same pork as in item 1 - innovative supply chain approach)

First Menu
5. Boiled Eel & Vinegared mackerel pressed Sushi
6. Japanese Brochettes
7. Chicago Sausage Pizza
Old May 5, 2015, 4:08 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
I don't have any advice, but we are flying J/F on JAL in the winter. But yikes...these are the selections in J and F? That looks mighty sad compared to my sea bass and filet mignon on Cathay in 2013.
Old May 5, 2015, 4:55 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by AtomicLush
I don't have any advice, but we are flying J/F on JAL in the winter. But yikes...these are the selections in J and F? That looks mighty sad compared to my sea bass and filet mignon on Cathay in 2013.
These are only part of the a la carte menu available after first meal service.
Old May 6, 2015, 4:59 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM

I've flown this flight in J a couple of times in the past few months and thought the quality of food far surpassed CX.

I've had both the steak and the sea bass for the mains in the first meal service, and both were delicious, especially the sea bass.

I've tried many, but not all of the a la carte snacks. Just remember that it's airplane food and don't get your hopes up for a big, sloppy, juicy hamburger. But for what it was, it was okay.

I think the pork cutlet in the rice bowl was larger than in the sandwich, but I may be wrong. I found the egg drizzled over the pork cutlet in the rice bowl overly raw for my tastes, and I don't like the thought that it may have been sitting for a while before being re-heated.

The Chicago sausage pizza was surprisingly good and reasonably authentic, unlike the junk they served on AA for years.

I also sampled the smaller Japanese set meals and they were delish. The fettuccine intrigued me, but just like the Japanese noodles, it's too many carbs for me.

Enjoy. The order on demand is really a great system.
Old May 6, 2015, 6:05 am

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I know for a fact that there are many more options than just those in the OP. The menus for the next 2 months are available here: www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/index02.html

Although few foods "bother" my system, I did have several hours of indigestion after eating their Chicago Sausage Pizza last month. What was I thinking?

BTW, I have come to enjoy ice cream mid flight on the ORD-NRT flights. Stay awake on this flight to beat jetlag in Japan.

Then sleep well on the NRT-ORD flight.

Last edited by roberto99; May 6, 2015 at 6:12 am
Old May 6, 2015, 6:10 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Having never flown JL yet (am on this route in a couple of months, hence my interest), but having taken KE and DL on similar routes, the items in the OP's post look like the mid-flight between-meals snacks, not the principal meal that I'd expect would be served after takeoff. Is that right?
Old May 6, 2015, 10:08 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
Having never flown JL yet (am on this route in a couple of months, hence my interest), but having taken KE and DL on similar routes, the items in the OP's post look like the mid-flight between-meals snacks, not the principal meal that I'd expect would be served after takeoff. Is that right?
Read post #3
Old May 6, 2015, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat
The pork cutlet is quite good. Try it.
Old May 7, 2015, 6:23 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Originally Posted by JALPak
Read post #3
I'll take that as a yes.
Old May 14, 2015, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Late to the party, but are you set on dining off the western menu? I would recommend being adventurous and trying the Japanese menu (which is kaiseki-style in F).

Edit: Dug up my pictures of the dining from a recent trip on JL9 ORD-NRT.

Last edited by linglingfool; May 14, 2015 at 8:04 pm
Old May 15, 2015, 10:23 am
Original Poster

I'm going to let my wife try the Japanese meal on the outbound. Decide on that for the inbound. May choose the Japanese on the outbound as the second meal.

I had the Kaiseki in SQ first a few years ago. I didn't enjoy it. I found it too "authentic". Or perhaps it was just not that good on SQ.
Old May 17, 2015, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
The okinaminyaki (I know I'm spelling that wrong) was surprisingly good as a snack.
Old May 17, 2015, 9:47 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by cruisr
The okinaminyaki (I know I'm spelling that wrong) was surprisingly good as a snack.
The curry was fantastic as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.