Community
Wiki Posts
Search

F experience CDG-HND vs HND-CDG?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
F experience CDG-HND vs HND-CDG?

Dear All,

I will book a CDG-HND return with J one way and F one way. For a number of reasons, I would prefer to book the F part on the CDG-HND but want to check that this isn't a mistake.

I have done a search, I have found that in general some posters comment that food is better ex-Japan than from outstations. Is the difference big? Is CDG a "good" or "bad" outstation from the point of view of food? On the website, I have seen that JL highlight their CDG-based chefs (in the same way they highlight the new chef in charge of F meals ex-JFK/ORD/LAX) does it mean that the experience is typically better than from other outstations?

Any other difference that I should be aware of? Note that I have OW Emerald so access to the F lounge at HND anyway (sadly I understand that there is no special lounge for F at CDG?). Thanks in advance and my apologies if my questions sound naïve.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Dear All,

I will book a CDG-HND return with J one way and F one way. For a number of reasons, I would prefer to book the F part on the CDG-HND but want to check that this isn't a mistake.

I have done a search, I have found that in general some posters comment that food is better ex-Japan than from outstations. Is the difference big? Is CDG a "good" or "bad" outstation from the point of view of food? On the website, I have seen that JL highlight their CDG-based chefs (in the same way they highlight the new chef in charge of F meals ex-JFK/ORD/LAX) does it mean that the experience is typically better than from other outstations?

Any other difference that I should be aware of? Note that I have OW Emerald so access to the F lounge at HND anyway (sadly I understand that there is no special lounge for F at CDG?). Thanks in advance and my apologies if my questions sound naïve.
As a rule of thumb, you should prioritize the F ex-Japan as often as you can. While JAL has some dedicated chefs for their western menu in certain outstations, they are nothing to write home about. The difference in food quality is quite major indeed, especially if you want to sample some Japanese cuisine on board. Currently, on ex-Japan F flights, their main meal features two different Michelin ranked chefs, one is a Michelin 3 Stars and the other, a Michelin 2 Stars. The former handles the Japanese menu and the latter, the Western menu. As a First Class customer, you can sample a bit of both if you want as long as you are being reasonable with your request. From outstations, the Japanese menu is not up to Kaiseki standard.

Other than that, the amenity kit you will receive is different when a flight departs from outstations vs. from Japan. While they are both Loewe branded, I think the ex-Japan version is nicer, just my personal preference.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Guava
As a rule of thumb, you should prioritize the F ex-Japan as often as you can. While JAL has some dedicated chefs for their western menu in certain outstations, they are nothing to write home about. The difference in food quality is quite major indeed, especially if you want to sample some Japanese cuisine on board. Currently, on ex-Japan F flights, their main meal features two different Michelin ranked chefs, one is a Michelin 3 Stars and the other, a Michelin 2 Stars. The former handles the Japanese menu and the latter, the Western menu. As a First Class customer, you can sample a bit of both if you want as long as you are being reasonable with your request. From outstations, the Japanese menu is not up to Kaiseki standard.

Other than that, the amenity kit you will receive is different when a flight departs from outstations vs. from Japan. While they are both Loewe branded, I think the ex-Japan version is nicer, just my personal preference.
Thanks! Makes my choice more complicated as I am indeed looking forward to trying the best in-flight Japanese cuisine has to offer!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.