Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

8 Mar: JL2 diverted to HNL, JL1 (SFO-HND) cancelled

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2014, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Mrs. D is stranded in SFO, flight status shows incoming flight diverted to HNL, no one has info yet as to why ...

EDIT: JL1 is SFO-HND, mods pls fix the title

Could it be more 787 problems?

Last edited by GaryD; Mar 8, 2014 at 5:31 pm Reason: HND not NRT
Old Mar 8, 2014, 5:34 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by GaryD
Mrs. D is stranded in SFO, flight status shows incoming flight diverted to HNL, no one has info yet as to why ...

EDIT: JL1 is SFO-HND, mods pls fix the title

Probably, will find out when 787 page is updated.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 8:40 pm

Apparently the pilot declared an emergency due to a hydraulic issue.

Here is the link to the news story...
Old Mar 8, 2014, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hnl808
Apparently the pilot declared an emergency due to a hydraulic issue.

Here is the link to the news story...
Good find, thanks. Mrs. D is on her way to LAX, to catch tomorrow's AA flight to NRT. She preferred that to the offer of tomorrow's flight to HND, saves a few hours.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 10:08 pm

Good find, thanks. Mrs. D is on her way to LAX, to catch tomorrow's AA flight to NRT. She preferred that to the offer of tomorrow's flight to HND, saves a few hours.
Why not JL061 flight which has better seats?
Old Mar 8, 2014, 10:19 pm

Programs: JL JMB Diamond 1.4 MM, UA 1P 1.2 MM
Originally Posted by JALPak
Quote:

More like better everything.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by Goosh
More like better everything.
well IFE on AA is better for non-Japanese passengers
Old Mar 9, 2014, 8:36 am
Original Poster

well IFE on AA is better for non-Japanese passengers
AA 169 gets in to NRT 35 minutes earlier. Also she wants to "check out" the AA service, being familiar w the new JL 777 service ex-JFK.

I told her it's unlikely they will upgrade her to F for her troubles (though she got domestic F on her flight to LAX at least), but they might toss her a few miles, as a JMB Diamond.

Last edited by GaryD; Mar 9, 2014 at 8:40 am Reason: Even earlier than I thought
Old Mar 9, 2014, 9:08 am

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
I read here that it was an oil leak.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 9:39 am
Original Poster

On a hunch, I checked the connections via HKG, and lo and behold, even on oneworld carriers, she could have connected via CX and gotten to HND about 3 hours before the AA flight from LAX gets to NRT, no hotel stay needed (12:10 am departure SFO). Why didn't I think of that? Why didn't JL suggest that?
Old Mar 9, 2014, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, SW A-list
Question for OP: Why did Mrs D have to backtrack to the mainland? HNL is practically a hub for JAL. Couldn't she have flown west and connected through any number Asian hubs even if JAL was full? Even a short stay in Waikiki seems preferable to a 10+ hour turn to the mainland. Just curious.

Last edited by temecularedwing; Mar 9, 2014 at 2:19 pm Reason: missed a word
Old Mar 9, 2014, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HHonors Gold, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by temecularedwing
Question for OP: Why did Mrs D have to backtrack to the mainland? HNL is practically a hub for JAL. Couldn't she have flown west and connected through any number Asian hubs even if JAL was full? Even a short stay in Waikiki seems preferable to a 10+ hour turn to the mainland. Just curious.
I think she was at SFO going to HND when the inbound JL 787 from HND to SFO diverted to HNL. So shes stuck at SFO because there is no plane to take her to HND.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
On a hunch, I checked the connections via HKG, and lo and behold, even on oneworld carriers, she could have connected via CX and gotten to HND about 3 hours before the AA flight from LAX gets to NRT, no hotel stay needed (12:10 am departure SFO). Why didn't I think of that? Why didn't JL suggest that?
Often, the airport agents are trying their best. However, it often requires agent knowledge of other airlines' route systems, which is spotty at best. Since JL and AA are partners, the JL agents are probably more familiar with AA route systems than, say CX.

So, honestly, it's best to do your own search and make suggestions or, at least, ask the agent if they can check "xxx airlines" connecting through "yyy".
Old Mar 9, 2014, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HHonors Gold, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by formeraa
Often, the airport agents are trying their best. However, it often requires agent knowledge of other airlines' route systems, which is spotty at best. Since JL and AA are partners, the JL agents are probably more familiar with AA route systems than, say CX.

So, honestly, it's best to do your own search and make suggestions or, at least, ask the agent if they can check "xxx airlines" connecting through "yyy".
JL and CX are also partners... OneWorld.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 7:09 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Originally Posted by Psychocadet
JL and CX are also partners... OneWorld.
pretty sure that was known.... i think the point was that the agents are more familiar with AA routes and alternatives etc vs CX

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.