Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

8 Mar: JL2 diverted to HNL, JL1 (SFO-HND) cancelled

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2014, 7:16 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
I am now even more disappointed that it didn't make the news when my 787 got diverted to Alaska last year (flap indicator issue).
Old Mar 9, 2014, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by formeraa
Often, the airport agents are trying their best. However, it often requires agent knowledge of other airlines' route systems, which is spotty at best. Since JL and AA are partners, the JL agents are probably more familiar with AA route systems than, say CX.

So, honestly, it's best to do your own search and make suggestions or, at least, ask the agent if they can check "xxx airlines" connecting through "yyy".
These are the JL agents based at SFO. They manage a single departure per day. They must also have assisted passengers taking connecting flights to China or Southeast Asia etc.

I am astonished to think they might not have been familiar with the daily CX flight to HKG, leaving about five hours after the daily JL flight to HND.

(As I noted, I'm also kicking myself for not having thought to check it, after checking for connections in YVR, LAX, SAN or HNL.)
Old Mar 9, 2014, 10:23 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by Psychocadet
JL and CX are also partners... OneWorld.
JL and AA have a joint business partnership transpac. If they reroute, the options at the top of the list will be within that JL/AA partnership. Other oneworld would come after that.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 5:11 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Friend was on the flight and he normally is a complainer but was posting photos of how happy he was with the hotel in Hawaii (food vouchers etc) and the way JAL had handled the situation.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 5:18 am

Programs: *gold, SPG Platinum, Amex Centurian, IHG Royal whatever, Emerald one world whatever
my GF was actually on that flight. she is a CP for NH and (oh,, she never non revs on her airline..doesnt like it) kept talking about how professional the crew was ad the ground staff have been awesome. when they found out I lived in Hawaii, they doubled up her meal value and said, have meals on us. It was a nice weekend!
Old Mar 10, 2014, 11:22 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Nothing current
Originally Posted by daboogah
my GF was actually on that flight. she is a CP for NH and (oh,, she never non revs on her airline..doesnt like it) kept talking about how professional the crew was ad the ground staff have been awesome. when they found out I lived in Hawaii, they doubled up her meal value and said, have meals on us. It was a nice weekend!
Wow! That is pretty awesome!

-S
Old Mar 19, 2014, 1:29 pm

As of today (2/19) the aircraft is still sitting here in Honolulu. The aircraft just finished going thru an engine change. Apparently this was the first 787 engine change JAL has had to do.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 5:10 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by hnl808
As of today (2/19) the aircraft is still sitting here in Honolulu. The aircraft just finished going thru an engine change. Apparently this was the first 787 engine change JAL has had to do.
Does it usually take this long to replace an engine?
Old Mar 20, 2014, 4:40 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by JALPak
Does it usually take this long to replace an engine?
Depends on the supply of spare engines. It may have taken some time to source an engine to replace it with.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 9:11 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium

An engine swap can usually be completed with 24 hours. My understanding is JL has a very limited number of GEnx spares. Given these engines are so early in their life cycle, there might have been some dealings with GE. In addition. The engine was shutdown due to a loss of oil pressure. They may have needed extra time to solve that issue. The engine swap didn't necessarily fix the root cause.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 2:26 am

***update***

The aircraft ferried back to HND on 20MAR as JL 8141. HNL will be seeing the JL 787 on a regular basis as JL begins 787 service to HNL later this month.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.