Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2014, 8:37 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B142 Safari/8536.25)

I need to upgrade my flight (X) but at the online upgrade section the system says no. Have they lied?
Old Mar 12, 2014, 5:21 pm
KPT

Programs: JAL Sapphire
Does JAL have a seafood-free meal? There is a "seafood" meal on JAL's site, but there's no seafood free one?

Are they not aware of shellfish allergies?

I'm flying in F, FWIW, so I'm hoping they can do something special. If not, just have allergy medication at the ready
Old Mar 12, 2014, 6:22 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Did you call AA to check ? JL award space never shows up on AA or QF site.
Originally Posted by Zig
Quote:

Originally Posted by JALPak

All oneworld partners will get the same inventory. Whether one-way award is allowed depends on the FFP rules. You can ticket with AA who allows one-way award booking.

Thanks JalPak. Still a bit confused about this. I can see availability in JMB for flights in December 14, although they aren't showing up in AA or QF. If I have understood you correctly AA should be showing these flights as well?
Old Mar 12, 2014, 6:33 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by KPT
Does JAL have a seafood-free meal? There is a "seafood" meal on JAL's site, but there's no seafood free one?

Are they not aware of shellfish allergies?

I'm flying in F, FWIW, so I'm hoping they can do something special. If not, just have allergy medication at the ready
Unfortunately there's only so much special meals JAL could offer. There's a minimal allergen meal option but I am not sure if seafood is included as ingredients. Your safest bet might be to order a vegetarian dish and try to avoid Japanese dishes as they usually contain some kind of seafood.

But it is always a good idea to have your allergy medication with you at all time especially when you fly. Although airlines will try its best effort to offer the special meal you ordered, the food might still get traces of allergens from the kitchen prepared the meal or even the galley onboard. So definitely have the medications ready even if you order the veggie meals.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 10:28 pm

Programs: BA Malaysiair
J class domestic tier points

Hey folks
Have seen this question before but no answer to it. Basically, what does the J class domestic on Jal accrue in tier points. BA couldn't answer and neither could the Jal lady, except to say that it's issued as C class ticket. If this is so, then it should get 40 tier points as business class. But has anyone actually experienced this???
Much obliged
Old Mar 12, 2014, 10:56 pm
KPT

Programs: JAL Sapphire
Thanks JALPak. Last time I went kosher, but it feels like such a waste. Allergy medication it is

Unfortunately there's only so much special meals JAL could offer. There's a minimal allergen meal option but I am not sure if seafood is included as ingredients. Your safest bet might be to order a vegetarian dish and try to avoid Japanese dishes as they usually contain some kind of seafood.

But it is always a good idea to have your allergy medication with you at all time especially when you fly. Although airlines will try its best effort to offer the special meal you ordered, the food might still get traces of allergens from the kitchen prepared the meal or even the galley onboard. So definitely have the medications ready even if you order the veggie meals.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KPT
Thanks JALPak. Last time I went kosher, but it feels like such a waste. Allergy medication it is
You could also ask them if a certain dish contain shell fish in advance. Given the menu only change once every season you should be able to find out in advance too.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 11:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by louisenaka
Hey folks
Have seen this question before but no answer to it. Basically, what does the J class domestic on Jal accrue in tier points. BA couldn't answer and neither could the Jal lady, except to say that it's issued as C class ticket. If this is so, then it should get 40 tier points as business class. But has anyone actually experienced this???
Much obliged
Folks from the BA forum should be able to help as JMB members don't need to know the ticketing class and aren't really BAEC experts. If I recall correctly, someone has asked this question over there before.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 11:25 pm

Programs: BA Malaysiair
Tier Miles

Thanks JALPAK
Yes, I've posted there too - covering all angles - but no joy yet!
Old Mar 16, 2014, 5:21 am

Programs: JL-JGP (Oneworld Emerald), CX-Gold, TK-elite/NH-SFC (Staralliance Gold), DL-Gold, Hilton/SPG-Gold
Originally Posted by louisenaka
Basically, what does the J class domestic on Jal accrue in tier points. BA couldn't answer and neither could the Jal lady, except to say that it's issued as C class ticket. If this is so, then it should get 40 tier points as business class.
Much obliged
All my experiences are what happened on CX. So I do not know whether my suggestion would be useful for you or not. If you agree this, please proceed to read.

I am accumulating sectors and miles to CX with using a part of JL domestic flights. Also I am accumulating other sectors and miles to JL itself. I often use JL domestic class J seats, but CX recognize JL's class J seat as a economy class seat. CX sometimes authorize as a superseat, but it is still economy class seat. At least in CX, class J seat will not be recognized as a business class seat.

These above are my experiences and about CX. If you need, please refer. You seem to have already asked same question in BA forum, I also recommend you to check opinions and suggestions there.

Thank you for reading.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA-GS, AA-EXP
Fly On credit question.

Hello all. New to the JAL forum.

I have a question regarding Fly On credit on my JMB account. I'm currently a no status flyer on JL and just have the blue card I've been using for AA redemption award searches. AA appears to have changed their Elite Qualifying Points accrual for MH flights taken on C class tickets from 1.5x to 1.25X so I'm searching for a better alternative plan to put my miles on.

I fly NRT-KUL at least twice a month in C class on MH and JL. Regarding credit for JMB status (Crystal, sapphire etc) JL seems to offer a significant advantage over MH and AA. I say seems because frankly I'm not sure and that's why I'm here

If flying on JL NRT-KUL (one way) I'd get 6659 Fly On points correct ? Are they the only points that are used to gain status on the JMB program?

If I were to fly MH on the same route would I still get 6659 Fly On points?

If the above are correct it would only take 8 round trips to reach diamond status as opposed to 12 on the AA program which is quite significant.

I realize that it takes time to get the actual bonus miles (redeemable) from status on the JMB program but I'm not really concerned about that just the time/points it would take to get Diamond Status on JL.

Thanks in advance for the advice.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rpcfly
Hello all. New to the JAL forum.

I have a question regarding Fly On credit on my JMB account. I'm currently a no status flyer on JL and just have the blue card I've been using for AA redemption award searches. AA appears to have changed their Elite Qualifying Points accrual for MH flights taken on C class tickets from 1.5x to 1.25X so I'm searching for a better alternative plan to put my miles on.

I fly NRT-KUL at least twice a month in C class on MH and JL. Regarding credit for JMB status (Crystal, sapphire etc) JL seems to offer a significant advantage over MH and AA. I say seems because frankly I'm not sure and that's why I'm here

If flying on JL NRT-KUL (one way) I'd get 6659 Fly On points correct ? Are they the only points that are used to gain status on the JMB program?

If I were to fly MH on the same route would I still get 6659 Fly On points?

If the above are correct it would only take 8 round trips to reach diamond status as opposed to 12 on the AA program which is quite significant.

I realize that it takes time to get the actual bonus miles (redeemable) from status on the JMB program but I'm not really concerned about that just the time/points it would take to get Diamond Status on JL.

Thanks in advance for the advice.
Yes, FOPs are only for status. You won't get the bonus FOPs and 1.5x factor if you fly on MH. So only 4,173 FOPs on sectors flown on MH. Also note that there are business class fares that earn 70% miles/FOPs only on JL. So you won't get 6,659 FOPs if you use those fares.

If you only care about oneworld emerald, you only need to achieve JGC Premier instead.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA-GS, AA-EXP
Yes, FOPs are only for status. You won't get the bonus FOPs and 1.5x factor if you fly on MH. So only 4,173 FOPs on sectors flown on MH. Also note that there are business class fares that earn 70% miles/FOPs only on JL. So you won't get 6,659 FOPs if you use those fares.

If you only care about oneworld emerald, you only need to achieve JGC Premier instead.
Got it. Thx for the timely reply ^^
Old Apr 3, 2014, 12:05 pm
Used to be 'Mark Fetters'

What is the jumpseat policy for someone flying on an ID90? It is a domestic route. NRt-NGO

Thanks
Old May 7, 2014, 6:02 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Need to reserve F meals?

Hello out there,

I've got CGK-NRT-JFK all in F coming up in 12 days. I see on JAL's website that you can reserve meals in F. Is there a need insofar as options running out (I'd probably choose a Western meal)? Or, is there a benefit such as additional options? If the latter, is there a way to review all options without calling in?

Thank you for any help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.