Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2014, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by stompey5
I'm flying on JAL with an AA Award HAN-NRT-JFK [JL] then BOS [AA]. Right now the layover is ridiculous in JFK - something like 9 hours since the next flight is 10 minutes too early for min connect time, next flight isn't available and we're on the last flight back.

So my question is, will JL let me short check my bags to JFK with that ridiculous layover? I would ideally like to get my bag and catch a different flight and throw away my last leg esp if I am going to have to wait 9 hours for it

Or I just realized, since I have to collect my bags in JFK - can I just walk out with them and go check in with someone else?
You'll need to complete your arrival formalities at JFK, so you'll get your bags back for that. Just don't hand them off to the re-check desk.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 6:57 am

Programs: AA EP SPG Plat Hyatt Diamond IHG Plat Avis 1st Hertz 5* National Exec
I'm on an AA Award with 2 First Class and 1 coach ticket from HND-SFO in January. Can I bring the economy person into the FCL as a guest?
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:40 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by venkol
I'm on an AA Award with 2 First Class and 1 coach ticket from HND-SFO in January. Can I bring the economy person into the FCL as a guest?
http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access

First Class passengers may invite one guest to join them in the lounge. The guest must also be travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld airline.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by stompey5
I'm flying on JAL with an AA Award HAN-NRT-JFK [JL] then BOS [AA]. Right now the layover is ridiculous in JFK - something like 9 hours since the next flight is 10 minutes too early for min connect time, next flight isn't available and we're on the last flight back.

So my question is, will JL let me short check my bags to JFK with that ridiculous layover? I would ideally like to get my bag and catch a different flight and throw away my last leg esp if I am going to have to wait 9 hours for it

Or I just realized, since I have to collect my bags in JFK - can I just walk out with them and go check in with someone else?
Do you have any status? You could book the last JFKBOS and standby for the one you want, of course there is the inherent risk that you won't make it. What about other routings? FYI can always change your routings, oneworld metal, class of service (higher), and dates up until day of departure for no change fee.

Otherwise yes, you can just walk out with your bags. No need to ask JL, it'll just confuse them.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by LAXative
Do you have any status? You could book the last JFKBOS and standby for the one you want, of course there is the inherent risk that you won't make it. What about other routings? FYI can always change your routings, oneworld metal, class of service (higher), and dates up until day of departure for no change fee.

Otherwise yes, you can just walk out with your bags. No need to ask JL, it'll just confuse them.
unfortunately no status on AA [usually a *A guy]... I also looked for my itinerary, [HAN-BOS] and there are not many good options [if I want a good seat as we're also going to have a little one with us]. Either the other routes violate AA's routing rules, or they are not as good angle-flat seats. Might just have to watch for a sale or pray for a schedule change in my favor! (only need 10 more minutes)
Old Oct 4, 2014, 5:14 pm
KPT

Programs: JAL Sapphire
Seriously mulling a switch to JL as main program next year since AA credit cards are kind of useless here in Japan (EDIT: and especially if the AA redemption chart starts getting worse)
Two main questions:

- Is there a 24/7 elite desk in English? Or, at least, are there numbers for the United States and Europe, or do you have to get in queue with everyone else?
- How is the IRROPS handling for non-JL flights compared to AA? Do they have access to BA/AA inventory or am I SOL when weather gets bad?
- What happens when you go off script? If I call the US number are they going to be as stingy as most Japanese companies tend to be, or will they go the extra mile for mid-tier elites?

Last edited by KPT; Oct 4, 2014 at 5:54 pm
Old Oct 5, 2014, 5:28 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B142 Safari/8536.25)

Originally Posted by KPT
Seriously mulling a switch to JL as main program next year since AA credit cards are kind of useless here in Japan (EDIT: and especially if the AA redemption chart starts getting worse)
Two main questions:

- Is there a 24/7 elite desk in English? Or, at least, are there numbers for the United States and Europe, or do you have to get in queue with everyone else?
- How is the IRROPS handling for non-JL flights compared to AA? Do they have access to BA/AA inventory or am I SOL when weather gets bad?
- What happens when you go off script? If I call the US number are they going to be as stingy as most Japanese companies tend to be, or will they go the extra mile for mid-tier elites?
24hr hotline exists but not 7 days a week. But the 24 line is cycled thru japan/uk/usa and aussie. Sunday is rest day. (I think uk is 7 days a week)

Ba/aa inventory- not sure what u mean. In general they follow rule book so first flight out would actualy mean first flight out... Except if it means a transfer to ANA they thats a big maybe.

Hotline only follow the rulebook so dont expect them breaking rules for you... Like award deadline 4 days in advance
Old Oct 7, 2014, 9:26 am
KPT

Ah, what I meant was with rerouting choices and willingness to listen to the customer needs during IRROPs. Say some WX causes problems (e.g. typhoons near Japan or winter storms in the US); would someone be there on the other side speaking English on the elite line and be helpful with rerouting? Seems like Sunday is a no day.

I don't think I'm asking for something unreasonable, just that I not have to sit and listen to hold music and then only find out that I'm SOL if stuff goes bad and its not JL metal. I just wanted to know from people's experiences how good they are (especially if you are JL Sapphire/JGC).

Last edited by KPT; Oct 7, 2014 at 9:36 am
Old Oct 8, 2014, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Speaking from experience (only a couple IRROPS).

Once LAX-KIX delayed by 6 hours(all toliets out of service). Only special buses provided to major stations. JGC at the time
BKK-KIX-LAX. BKK-KIX was delayed by 2 hours missed the KIX-LAX connection was offered stay at Nikko Kansai Airport. Rejected asked for highway cost home (was about 5000yen). JGC at the time
HND-KIX (plane was 1hr late). Offered NOTHING I had no way getting home as the last train home already left. (had my family fetch me) JGC/Diamond at the time

Speaking a bit from experience you wont get much bending of rules. But they should handle the situation pretty well.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA 1K
Is it true that JMB domestic awards can only be booked 2 months from the departure date? However, could I get around this by using BA Avios or AA miles? Or is there special inventory for JMB members only?

Thanks
Old Oct 15, 2014, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by skit53
Is it true that JMB domestic awards can only be booked 2 months from the departure date? However, could I get around this by using BA Avios or AA miles? Or is there special inventory for JMB members only?

Thanks
Pure domestic itineraries can be booked 2 months in advance, as part of an international itinerary you can book with the 'normal' periods. Same as with the revenue tickets. I don't think that changes no matter what mileage program you book from. But someone please confirm that.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 7:42 am

Programs: AA Explat, UA 1K
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Pure domestic itineraries can be booked 2 months in advance, as part of an international itinerary you can book with the 'normal' periods. Same as with the revenue tickets. I don't think that changes no matter what mileage program you book from. But someone please confirm that.
Using BA Avios, I am able to book pure domestic JL itineraries more than 2 months out, so I was wondering if JMB members are getting "screwed" here. That is unless they have access to extra inventory.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 9:11 pm
KPT

Does JAL have the option of paid upgrades at check-in these days?
Old Oct 16, 2014, 9:29 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by KPT
Does JAL have the option of paid upgrades at check-in these days?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/15661160-post23.html
Old Oct 17, 2014, 10:18 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

I'm planning a trip from NYC or PHL to Taiwan with JL, and I'm not sure which mileage program I should use.

OW was never my alliance of choice, however I've always liked JL. I'm currently based in NY and am not a member of any OW FF program.

Thanks,
BmB

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.