JAL announces SKY SUITE 767 (SS6) details

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2013, 1:31 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
JAL announces SKY SUITE 767 (SS6) details

http://press.jal.co.jp/en/release/201305/002528.html

JAL will install truly flat JAL SKY SUITE II in a 1-2-1 configuration on some of its 767-300ER fleet. A total of 24 C seats. JAL SKY WIDER will be installed in the Economy cabin as well.

This will first be rolled out to the NRT-YVR route in December. JAL will expand this later to HNL and select long-haul SE Asia routes by FY 2014.

SKY SUITE II is manufactured by Zodiac Seats UK

Here's my blog post which compares SS6 to the SS7 products and the current 763 configurations, and a brief translation of the Facebook post about development of SKY SUITE II: http://jal-pak.blogspot.com/2013/05/...6-details.html

Update: JAL just announced NRT-KUL will be getting SS6 from January 2014.

New PR images on Japanese version of SS6 site: http://www.jal.co.jp/newsky/ss6/
Also JAL is running a marketing campaign and a new site called Social Catalog featuring the new seat. You can try out the new seat at SKY MUSEUM and during the JATA HABIHAKU Travel Showcase 2013. Details on my site: http://www.jalflyer.com/2013/09/expe...-seats-at.html

Last edited by JALPak; Sep 3, 2013 at 7:33 am
Old May 30, 2013, 1:49 am

Wow this is really good news. 1-2-1 will be good on the 767-300s, and I hope JAL will bring these seats to 772s and 788s too!

Vancouver will be my new favorite JAL destination...

I hope the new seats will mean improved catering in business class, which is traditionally not great on the YVR flights.

Thanks for sharing!
Carfield
Old May 30, 2013, 2:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Plat, AC E35K
Right on cue! Not exactly a Suite per-se but I'll take it New Sky website's been updated too: http://www.jal.co.jp/en/newsky/ss6/

Now I've never actually flown SS7 but it looks like there's a bit more space for personal items here, with the full size table (at least for window seat passengers, opposed to the narrow side table and overhead shelf in SS7)?

Off to JAL.com to see if I can grab some Business Super Saver fares before the systems update to reflect SS6...

Originally Posted by Carfield
I hope the new seats will mean improved catering in business class, which is traditionally not great on the YVR flights.
Some 'real' a-la-carte snack options and multi-course service (as opposed to the current one-tray) would be nice.

Last edited by yamanote8; May 30, 2013 at 2:38 am
Old May 30, 2013, 2:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Carfield
Wow this is really good news. 1-2-1 will be good on the 767-300s, and I hope JAL will bring these seats to 772s and 788s too!

Vancouver will be my new favorite JAL destination...

Thanks for sharing!
Carfield
You don't want them on 788 and 777. 788 should have a wider version of SKY SUITE which is superior to SKY SUITE II IMHO.

For 777, oh well, just get rid of them or fly regional routes with Shell Flat
Old May 30, 2013, 2:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yamanote8
Some 'real' a-la-carte snack options and multi-course service (as opposed to the current one-tray) would be nice.
If JAL serves multi-course service on NRT-YVR flight, by the time they finish the first meal, it will be almost time to serve the 2nd meal! On my last NRT-LAX flight, after the first meal service (which was briefly interrupted by turbulence), I went online for an hour, slept for 2 hours and it was time for breakfast already!

Another thing that could be added is JAL SKY Wi-Fi. No announcement of that yet though. Oh also expect to see winglets on these SS6 too.
Old May 30, 2013, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by JALPak
If JAL serves multi-course service on NRT-YVR flight, by the time they finish the first meal, it will be almost time to serve the 2nd meal! On my last NRT-LAX flight, after the first meal service (which was briefly interrupted by turbulence), I went online for an hour, slept for 2 hours and it was time for breakfast already!

Another thing that could be added is JAL SKY Wi-Fi. No announcement of that yet though. Oh also expect to see winglets on these SS6 too.
But even Air Canada manage to do multi-course on YVR/NRT. Granted, it's just appetizer, main, cheese then dessert (and JL already do cheese and dessert separately) but it still 'feels' more premium than both app and main stuffed in one tray.

The 763 AC use on this route has 24C just like JL's planned SS6 and I'd wager that most JL crew work harder than AC crew.

Wi-Fi would be nice. IMO it should be discounted for premium cabin pax though.
Old May 30, 2013, 3:15 am
Original Poster

JAL has posted behind the scene story of SKY SUITE II development on its facebook page (in Japanese only) https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=587088544657147

I have added a brief translation of the details not already found in the press release to my blog post
Old May 30, 2013, 3:19 am
Original Poster

But even Air Canada manage to do multi-course on YVR/NRT. Granted, it's just appetizer, main, cheese then dessert (and JL already do cheese and dessert separately) but it still 'feels' more premium than both app and main stuffed in one tray.

The 763 AC use on this route has 24C just like JL's planned SS6 and I'd wager that most JL crew work harder than AC crew.

Wi-Fi would be nice. IMO it should be discounted for premium cabin pax though.
A full multi-course meal on JAL means
1. Welcome Drink
2. Towel Service
3. Amuse Bouche + Drink
4. Rice Crackers + Snacks + Drink
5. Appetizer + Drink
6. Main + Drink
7 Dessert + Drink + Towel

And JAL is a bit slow in meal service. Not that they aren't efficient, but maybe they spend quite a bit of time to get the main dish right (cooking + presentation).

JAL probably thinks those who can afford Business Class probably wouldn't care for 10-20 USD for Wi-Fi
Old May 30, 2013, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by JALPak
A full multi-course meal on JAL means
1. Welcome Drink
2. Towel Service
3. Amuse Bouche + Drink
4. Rice Crackers + Snacks + Drink
5. Appetizer + Drink
6. Main + Drink
7 Dessert + Drink + Towel
They're already doing all of that for YVR (+6.5., the cheese course) apart from Amuse Bouche and the separate App/Main. No need for the amuse bouche, just separate 5+6.

And JAL is a bit slow in meal service. Not that they aren't efficient, but maybe they spend quite a bit of time to get the main dish right (cooking + presentation).
I'm not sure plating would take much longer, it's already separate on the single tray. Just serve them separately.

There could be an 'express dining' single tray option like there is on other airlines for people who just want to sleep ASAP too.

JAL probably thinks those who can afford Business Class probably wouldn't care for 10-20 USD for Wi-Fi
$22 for unlimited 24 hour access isn't bad compared to some other carriers which charge about the same for a pitiful data allowance, but can it be transferred to a connecting flight? That would mean Sky Wi-Fi has to be implemented on the intra-Asia flight too though, but I don't know of any JL flight that is 24h long.

Maybe change the 1h/$12 plan to 6h/$12? Would be a reasonable in-between option for those on non-ultra-long-haul flights.
Old May 30, 2013, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
JAL to introduce fully flatbed seats in J class on NRT-YVR routes

....In December this year.

http://press.jal.co.jp/en/release/201305/002528.html

Finally, a reasonable alternative to YVR.
34" pitch in economy!
Old May 30, 2013, 3:55 am
Original Poster

They're already doing all of that for YVR (+6.5., the cheese course) apart from Amuse Bouche and the separate App/Main. No need for the amuse bouche, just separate 5+6.

I'm not sure plating would take much longer, it's already separate on the single tray. Just serve them separately.

There could be an 'express dining' single tray option like there is on other airlines for people who just want to sleep ASAP too.

$22 for unlimited 24 hour access isn't bad compared to some other carriers which charge about the same for a pitiful data allowance, but can it be transferred to a connecting flight? That would mean Sky Wi-Fi has to be implemented on the intra-Asia flight too though, but I don't know of any JL flight that is 24h long.

Maybe change the 1h/$12 plan to 6h/$12? Would be a reasonable in-between option for those on non-ultra-long-haul flights.
I don't know. The first meal service usually finishes at T+3. Maybe it's the wait between dishes that's taking up the time? I believe for the 1 tray service, they could probably cook all of the meals at once vs in the other case, they probably wait till you are done or close to done to cook the main? Just guessing.

Yes, it's transferrable to your connecting flight as long as it's within the 24 hour window from your first sign-on. There's 1 regional flight that had JAL SKY Wi-Fi (but it is temporarily suspended due to an equipment downgrade). I guess you know which one this is

They probably should and would expand this to regional flights. But may need more than 2 tier of pricing for the short regional (and possibly domestic) flights.
Old May 30, 2013, 7:20 am

Cabin width much more narrow than the 777 (2-3-2 vs. 3-3-3 in Y), yet the layout in the new Sky Suite II is the same as NH Staggered on their 777-300ER (also 1-2-1). I wonder how narrow the new seat will be?

BTW, NH did alternating 1-2-1 and 1-1-1 on the 788, which is a wider cabin than the 767.
Old May 30, 2013, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stargold
Cabin width much more narrow than the 777 (2-3-2 vs. 3-3-3 in Y), yet the layout in the new Sky Suite II is the same as NH Staggered on their 777-300ER (also 1-2-1). I wonder how narrow the new seat will be?

BTW, NH did alternating 1-2-1 and 1-1-1 on the 788, which is a wider cabin than the 767.
It's 64.3cm x 189.2cm for ANA Staggered on 777-300ER vs 52cm x 200cm for JAL SKY SUITE II on 767-300ER
Old May 30, 2013, 8:02 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by stargold:20835225

True, but the 767s are used on shorter routes than 777/787. Also, DL has a similar J layout on its 767s.
Old May 30, 2013, 8:50 am
Suspended

THey so need to get rid of the 767 or have this new product installed pronto. It is inhumane for people to travel on this for 8+ hours in J Class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.