Wiki Posts
Search

The Accademia in FLO--how much time?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2009, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, 2 MM
The Accademia in FLO--how much time?

I of course want to see the David statue in the Accademia in Florence. I am not really into sculptures and I understand this is what most of the Accademia is about.

Have any of you just seen the David statue and then left? I know that a reservation is necessary for David. I am wondering how much time is really necessary to spend in the Accademia.

I will be in Florence in the middle of June.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jaimemayo
I of course want to see the David statue in the Accademia in Florence. I am not really into sculptures and I understand this is what most of the Accademia is about.

Have any of you just seen the David statue and then left? I know that a reservation is necessary for David. I am wondering how much time is really necessary to spend in the Accademia.

I will be in Florence in the middle of June.
Unless things have changed very recently, there is no special reservation to view the David. There is a ticket to enter the museum, and you can make a reservation for that, but once you're in you can go look at David.

If you show up fairly early in the morning you should be able to get in fairly quickly and I wouldn't bother with a reservation. If you have a very brief window of time I would recommend reserving for that specific time.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Thank you milepig (I love your name). I didn't know that one ticket covered both the David statue and the rest of the Accademia. That kind of information is very helpful.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 3:19 pm

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
We made the mistake of not reserving a time. On our last day in Florence last September we attempted to visit but pulled out of the queue after waiting over an hour as it seemed it would be at least another hour before we got in. We needed to leave for Vincensa by 2pm. I would think that in June it would be even busier.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 7:42 am

Programs: OnePass
Get a reservation (easily done), show up early, and allow about 30 minutes to see the museum's highlights.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 9:41 am

Programs: American AAdvantage Platinum
Err on the side of caution with this one. We were there on a rainy Thursday morning in February '06 and waited 45 minutes.
Old May 1, 2009, 10:15 pm

Count me in as another vote for "get a reservation." Your hotel can do it for you or you can get one yourself. The Accademia is small. I am an art lover and maaaaaaybe spent 45 minutes there and I saw everything in the museum.

I went at 10am and the line getting quite long.

If you arrive and there is a line and you have no reservation, you'll stand in the line for longer than you will be inside.
Old May 3, 2009, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by milepig
Unless things have changed very recently, there is no special reservation to view the David. There is a ticket to enter the museum, and you can make a reservation for that, but once you're in you can go look at David.

If you show up fairly early in the morning you should be able to get in fairly quickly and I wouldn't bother with a reservation. If you have a very brief window of time I would recommend reserving for that specific time.
While it is true that you don't need a reservation to see just the David, I have to disagree w/the advice about not getting an Accademia reservation in advance. Maybe if you show up early in the morning in January you can walk right in, but it is not at all unusual for the wait to be several hours in the Spring and Summer.

To the OP: In my experience most people enter the Accademia just to see the David
Old May 3, 2009, 9:04 pm

I was there at 10am in late February. There was a line. lol
Old May 4, 2009, 7:26 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
On my last trip I made the reservations for the time I knew we would be there, but we ended up getting their several hours early, saw no line and just walked in to buy regular tickets. That let us avoid the 4 euro reservation fee.

If you get there first thing in the morning or have reservations first thing, when you get your tickets and walk into the first room make an immediate left to see the David. On our first trip there we were in the first group of the day and we did this while everyone else followed the natural flow of the place. We had about 10 minutes alone with the big guy before the rest of the crowd made it and surrounded him.
Old May 4, 2009, 7:28 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Originally Posted by MissJ
Count me in as another vote for "get a reservation." Your hotel can do it for you or you can get one yourself. The Accademia is small. I am an art lover and maaaaaaybe spent 45 minutes there and I saw everything in the museum.

I went at 10am and the line getting quite long.

If you arrive and there is a line and you have no reservation, you'll stand in the line for longer than you will be inside.
My hotel wanted to charge me for making the reservation on top of the 4 euro reservation fee. I'd just make it online if you can directly with the museum.
Old May 4, 2009, 3:31 pm

I found a few years ago that there was far more availability offered for reservations by phone than online. If you choose to call from the US the number is 011 39 055 294 883.

This is the english-speaking line and operates 8:30-6:30 M-F Florence time and 8:30-noon Saturday. As noted above you don't pay for the reservation unless you actually use it when you show up, at which point you'll be happy to have it.
Old May 4, 2009, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by dingo
My hotel wanted to charge me for making the reservation on top of the 4 euro reservation fee. I'd just make it online if you can directly with the museum.
That's no good. Mine didn't charge anything extra.
Old May 5, 2009, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by MissJ
That's no good. Mine didn't charge anything extra.
I was surprised by it as well, and uncovered it by emailing the hotel to ask the cost as if I didn't already know what all the fees were.
Old May 8, 2009, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. Through this thread I have decided to visit the Uffizi in the morning and the Accademia in the afternoon (different days). Thanks again to everyone ^!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.