Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sim cards at FCO- any experiences?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2017, 3:43 am
Original Poster

Sim cards at FCO- any experiences?

Just doing some research and saw Vodafone offering their "holiday" sim- website states 30 Euros all incl. for mins/data (2gb). Seems like a good deal, but i'm wondering if anyone has picked one up from the airport. The majority of my recent travels have been in Asia and the airport outlets of mobile providers usually charge more than advertised...

1. does the airport outlet of voda offer the holiday sim
2. are there any hidden charges, or do you really pay 30 euros and you're good until your 2gb is used fully

cheers!
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
I have no personal experience with Vodafone, but I just called their toll free number and the lady assured me that the holiday package is 30 euros, just as you described. I asked, "what if I arrive with a SIM card from ATT from the USA?" She said it doesn't matter, it will only cost 30. You can't actually call the store at the airport. She was looking it up on the internet herself, as we spoke.

Personally, I've rarely gotten satisfaction and charges as advertised, using TIM. But the customer service rep just said that she looked up the "holiday package," and it is 30 euros, all inclusive, no matter where you arrive from, providing your phone is not locked. There is a Voda store at FCO, 2 at departures, 1 at arrivals, so I'd just go for it.

I specifically asked her about hidden charges, and she said there were none. That's about all the information you can get. Hidden charges always pop up, but much less in Italy than in the USA.

Last night I checked into a hotel in Pennsylvania for $218 for one night on their website, just to rest for a 5 hour layover. On checkout the bill was $285 when all the taxes and fees were included, and all I did was use one towel. Italy has a lot less hidden charges than the USA, but if anyone is going to hit you with hidden charges in Italy, it will be the phone companies. They do it to me all the time.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 2:53 pm

Tmobile in USA has done wonders for its customers. Unlinking handset purchase from mobile service purchase, Treating mexico and canada as part of dometic service, never charging for overage but its most useful service has been FREE international roaming (free unlimited texts, free unlimited 2G/3G data - calling is 20 cents per minute).

No need to buy local SIM unless you intend to make many calls.

It is kind of reassuring to get "Welcome to Italy" text from Tmobile while you plane is still taxing and you can strat texting your loved ones or pick up service before you even get off the plane.

It is refreshing to see that among "screw the customer" culture of corporate america, (did someone mention United?) this company is doing wonders for americans travelling abroad.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by desi
Tmobile in USA has done wonders for its customers. Unlinking handset purchase from mobile service purchase, Treating mexico and canada as part of dometic service, never charging for overage but its most useful service has been FREE international roaming (free unlimited texts, free unlimited 2G/3G data - calling is 20 cents per minute).

No need to buy local SIM unless you intend to make many calls.

It is kind of reassuring to get "Welcome to Italy" text from Tmobile while you plane is still taxing and you can strat texting your loved ones or pick up service before you even get off the plane.

It is refreshing to see that among "screw the customer" culture of corporate america, (did someone mention United?) this company is doing wonders for americans travelling abroad.
I'm going to definitely see if I qualify for that! Great information, because usually you kind of get screwed and pay more than expected.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by Perche
I'm going to definitely see if I qualify for that! Great information, because usually you kind of get screwed and pay more than expected.
You do need regular Tmobile service in USA but since tmobile has no contracts, you can get one before your trip and cancel it when it ends.

I have used it in 20-30 countries since they introduced it in 2013/2014. Has worked in every city without changing any settings or having to buy any local SIM. (Try buying SIM in India with a foreign passport!!)

In most places data service is much faster than advertised. Was able to do video chat, use GPS, google maps in most major cities even in some third world countries.
Old May 11, 2017, 8:22 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by jacklee
Just doing some research and saw Vodafone offering their "holiday" sim- website states 30 Euros all incl. for mins/data (2gb). Seems like a good deal, but i'm wondering if anyone has picked one up from the airport. The majority of my recent travels have been in Asia and the airport outlets of mobile providers usually charge more than advertised...

1. does the airport outlet of voda offer the holiday sim
2. are there any hidden charges, or do you really pay 30 euros and you're good until your 2gb is used fully

cheers!
The TIM shop in FCO charges 30euros for the TIM for Visitors sim.
TIM stores in the city charges 25euros.
It's only 20euros if you purchased online.

When you get to the city, there are other better data plans offered in TIM stores. I found out about this when I went to a TIM store to add credit to my simcard. They are offering me a 10GB data sim for just around 20euros. I didn't avail of it as I was leaving in 2 days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.