Wiki Posts
Search

Sciopero! Strike!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2016, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Sciopero! Strike!

According to Bologna Today, there's a national strike planned for October 21. Folk with their ear to the ground in Italy will have a better sense than I as to how serious this strike threat is. Please chime in.

http://www.bolognatoday.it/cronaca/s...1-ottobre.html
Old Oct 14, 2016, 11:23 am

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
It's serious. No flights. Trains out from 9 to 5, buses out as determined by each locality, some boats to large islands will run. Sometimes these things get revoked, but right now, there seems little chance.

Last edited by Perche; Oct 14, 2016 at 11:30 am
Old Oct 14, 2016, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Perche
It's serious. No flights. Trains out from 9 to 5, buses out as determined by each locality, some boats to large islands will run. Sometimes these things get revoked, but right now, there seems little chance.
Thanks, Perche. I still follow a couple of Bologna publications on FB from when I lived there and thought this was worthy to bring to Flyertalker's attention.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 2:38 pm

Welcome to Italy ... a strike is a regular cultural event! Try to work round it by planning your journeys with plenty of margins and plans B, C and D. Keeping a good sense of humour does help though!

(Travel in my student days was full of unexpected opportunities occasioned by strikes .. and whilst some tested my patience, others were delightful in new company and new places!)
Old Oct 14, 2016, 9:00 pm

This is different. on the website that lists the country's planned strikes for October there are at least 20 strikes. But these are just individual cities or regions. Sometimes they last for four hours, sometimes 6, 24. And things still run. The trains run during the hours when people need them to get to and from work. In Venice the Coast Guard drives the vaporetti. It's more of an aggravation or inconvenience. A sciopero nazionale is different. It is to, "bloccare il paese," or shut the country down. No flight, no trains to one town or another, etc.

Last edited by Perche; Oct 15, 2016 at 12:02 am
Old Oct 14, 2016, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

This is different on the website that lists the country's planned strikes. For October there are at least 20. But these are just individual cities or regions. Sometimes they last for four hours, sometimes 6, 24. And things still run. The trains run during the hours when people need them to get to and from work. In Venice the Coast Guard drives the vaporetti. It's more of an aggravation or inconvenience. A sciopero nazionale is different. It is to, "bloccar il paese," or shut the country down. No flight, no trains to one town or another, etc.
I suspected as much. Sometimes they do get called off or don't get the support they need to get off the ground, but a real sciopero nationale can be a real pain, especially if it happens on a day when you are arriving or leaving. I remember once arriving on a flight to Fiumicino back in the early 80s during a general strike. The plane couldn't land at Fiumicino because it was closed and we ended up at Ciampino, which at that time was smaller than it is today. There was a single lone passport and customs agent who just waved at everyone as they went by. Once outside, there was absolutely no ground transportation. No city busses, no taxis, nothing. Fortunately, a tour bus was dropping off a charter group for their flight and I negotiated with the driver, being the only person out front at that point who spoke Italian, to load his bus with frustrated passengers and take them into the city. Since many did not have any lire on them, I paid the driver and took dollars in exchange, admittedly at an exchange rate which was favorable to me. It worked out ok in the end, but I learned a valuable lesson. Never travel without cash, preferably in the currency of the country. You never know when there is going to be something unexpected where cash becomes a necessity.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 2:44 pm

Is there any chance that this sciopero nazionale could get rescheduled to the 20th?

We arrive at VCE on 10/20 and I'm just wondering if there's much to be concerned about?

I don't really see the strike impacting us one way or the other, apart from lunch reservations on the isle of Giudecca on 10/21. I'm sure our hotel can arrange transportation though. The Gritti has their own boat. We have no other fixed plans that day.

I'm slightly worried about the possibility of it being pushed ahead one day, as it would turn into an enormous inconvenience and problem if it occurred on our day of arrival. I suppose we should count ourselves lucky that it got scheduled for the 21st.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by OliverB
Is there any chance that this sciopero nazionale could get rescheduled to the 20th?

We arrive at VCE on 10/20 and I'm just wondering if there's much to be concerned about?

I don't really see the strike impacting us one way or the other, apart from lunch reservations on the isle of Giudecca on 10/21. I'm sure our hotel can arrange transportation though. The Gritti has their own boat. We have no other fixed plans that day.

I'm slightly worried about the possibility of it being pushed ahead one day, as it would turn into an enormous inconvenience and problem if it occurred on our day of arrival. I suppose we should count ourselves lucky that it got scheduled for the 21st.
The day of the strike will never change. A strike can be called off, but the date cannot change. There is a massive demonstration already prepared for Rome on the 21st. For your lunch reservation on the 21st I'd email the Gritti and check if the boat is running. The strike involves public and private transportation. The Gritti has a boat, but I'd check with them because it will probably not operate.

Last edited by Perche; Oct 15, 2016 at 9:49 pm
Old Oct 16, 2016, 2:10 pm

Thanks Perche, I asked the concierge and he wrote back:

"In case of strike, it depends if all of them will do that , will find a taxi boat ."

Which I don't entirely understand but take it to mean that they will figure out a way to accommodate us regardless of the strike. Their Riva boat is running until the 23rd btw; I think they must consider that the start of the cold season since it gets docked until the spring. They typically only offer it for either set or custom tours of the lagoon and islands, so it's not regularly used as a means of private transit but I'm sure they'll take it out if needed. As soon as we arrive, I'll be sure to ask about the strike and find out whether the boat is free for our lunch reservation.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by OliverB
Thanks Perche, I asked the concierge and he wrote back:

"In case of strike, it depends if all of them will do that , will find a taxi boat
it seems as if they are winging it. What they are saying is that their own water taxi is on strike, and they will try to find you a ride from another taxi boat company. And then they will say, "all of them went on strike, we couldn't help it."

If in your shoes, I would choose between 2 possibilities. If you are not just staying in Venice for 1-2 days, find a place to eat and do things where no transportation is needed. That would include everywhere in Venice, because anywhere you walk around will be magical. You don't have to go to Giudecca.

Or, if you have to go to Giudecca for that particular restaurant that may have some sentimental value that I won't question, I am 95% sure that during the strike there will still be boats back and forth between Venice and Giudecca. Giudeccani children have to go to and from school, and so the vaporetti will run during the most important periods, despite the strike.

The strickers are trying to get the federal government to give them more money for job creation. They do not want to push the average citizen to be against them, so every strike has some exceptions to not affect the locals too much.

There will be some boat service between The Giudecca and Venice. Strikes do not leave people having to sleep under a bridge. So, despite the strike, I am sure you can still go back and forth to the Giuedecca a few times a day.

However, if I were you I'd just stay in Venice that day. That is because although there must be service to Giudecca, it might only be to accomododate workers hours, and you will have long waits.

The response Gritti gave you, if your post is accurate, is that their private boat won't operate, and they will try to find somebody else. Then, they will say that nobody else was available due to the strike. They didn't want to say no, and make you cancel.

Last edited by Perche; Oct 16, 2016 at 3:28 pm
Old Oct 16, 2016, 9:24 pm

The day of the strike will never change. A strike can be called off, but the date cannot change.
??? Isn't the sciopero generale of October 21st just the postponement of the one originally scheduled on September 23rd?

Differimento sciopero generale del 23 settembre al 21 ottobre
Old Oct 17, 2016, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by Mr. Roboto
??? Isn't the sciopero generale of October 21st just the postponement of the one originally scheduled on September 23rd?

Differimento sciopero generale del 23 settembre al 21 ottobre
Yes. A strike can be canceled, but they will not be able to willy-nilly change the date of a national strike from the 21st to the 20th. There is too much planning that goes into a nationwide strike. It may not happen on October 21st, but it definitely will not happen on October 20th, or any other time in October if it is canceled or postponed. They have to line up the mayor of practically every city in Italy to have nationwide strike.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 4:04 am

Programs: EX˛-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
And today there was also strike at my post office.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 9:07 am
tyn

I know it's complicated, but as a general rule of thumb in these cases try to find out if all the unions are involved.

In this case only a minor one (UBS) was, while the major unions (CGIL, CISL, UIL) had called themselves out of it.

I flew back to Milan on the day of the strike and everything was business as usual, possibly better than usual because my flight landed early, luggage arrived quickly and there were three no. 73 buses to city centre waiting outside.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 3:04 pm

USB is a major union. 1.4 million workers went on strike. Not only schools were closed, even the fire departments across most of Italy were closed. You were lucky. They usually try to get workers to and from work, as it is a workers union so ther are usually some trains and buses around workers' hours, but 60% of flights that day were canceled, as well as most bus services. I think you were pretty lucky.

Last edited by Perche; Oct 24, 2016 at 3:28 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.